The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's Nightmare Variation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jcroop
View Profile
Special user
745 Posts

Profile of jcroop
Hi,

I am looking for the handling of the Professor's Nightmare variation where each end of the 3 unequal length ropes are placed between different fingers of each hand, then the backs of the hands are show, then the palms are shown, and finally the backs of the hands are shown again (and a move is made), then the hands come apart, now with equal lenghts of rope. (I think this is the sequence.)

Does anyone know where I can find this variation?

Thanks.

Jim
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
Hi Jim,

I do a version of this in my routine, not sure if you are talking about the same one, there is a short clip on my website http://www.powerfulropemagic.com

Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
745 Posts

Profile of jcroop
Thanks Jeremy,

There are some very visual moves in the demo.

I don't think the PN version is exactly the same as the one I'm looking for. There was a little edit just before you pulled the ropes apart, but your hands where palm to palm. The version I was looking for had the back back of the palms towards the spectator's. Of course I could be mis-remembering what happened. But your version has given me something to think about. Thanks.

Jim
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
Hi Jim,

The version of the Demo is with an instant restoration, maybe you can see the PN transformation alone, I do it in this routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC7GADWLjVw

Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
I think I learned that version from James Lewis's "Million Dollar Mysteries" tape.

Murf
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have one in my dances with ropes. I will PM you with the actual solution link. These are an actual segment from the DVD with my Original handling. No jumpcuts.
This topic, however was discussed in another thread a couple of months ago.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Roger Sylwester invented this move and it was in Heirophant (I believe No. 4). The best demo I've seen was James Lewis' as mentioned above. Sylwester gave me permission to teach it in my lectures. IMHO it is the best move ever for P.N.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-10-03 22:37, Pete Biro wrote:
Roger Sylwester invented this move and it was in Heirophant (I believe No. 4). The best demo I've seen was James Lewis' as mentioned above. Sylwester gave me permission to teach it in my lectures. IMHO it is the best move ever for P.N.

I sent you a PM on the PN with a link to my version of the pickup and stretch. Just curious if it is the same as Lewis'.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Jeremy does the James Lewis stretch on this video which is clearer and slower than the one he suggested.
Let's make this clear, this is Jeremy's performance where he acknowledges that his routine is "Inspired by Rope Routines of Tabary, Flip, Daryl and James Lewis" (who were also inspired by George Sands). This video clip has no jump cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCDH9tq_Qgo
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
J, I do the version that Jeremy does. I learned it from Bob Elliot.
There is another version that has a slightly different hand orientation by Bruce Kelvar.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-10-04 08:11, magicians wrote:
Jeremy does the James Lewis stretch on this video which is clearer and slower than the one he suggested.

Quote:
On 2008-10-03 22:37, Pete Biro wrote:

I would like to learn the James Lewis stretch move (or is it Roger Sylwester's ? or both ?) .

Does anyone know where the mentioned James Lewis's "Million Dollar Mysteries" DVD or tape is available ?

The entire Jeremy Pei routine appears to use a gimmicked rope at one point in the routine , but is the James Lewis/Roger Sylwester stretch move a gimmicked rope move or a move that can be incorporated into a normal (ungimmicked) Professor's Nightmare routine ?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The portion of the Pei routine that is the Lewis handling, does not need gimmicks. That part can be done with any ropes.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1836 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-10-05 22:00, magicians wrote:
The portion of the Pei routine that is the Lewis handling, does not need gimmicks. That part can be done with any ropes.

Thanks.

I've got your Dances with Ropes on my Top 10 list of magic things to buy . Will be ordering it as soon as I have some more "discretionary income" .
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I teach this method on my IN THE TRENCHES Dvd.

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green

PS Roger Sylwester, Bruce Cervon, and James Lewis are creditted on the DVD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's Nightmare Variation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL