The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Like Night and Day ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Erich Troudt
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Erich Troudt
Quote:
On 2008-10-01 13:26, Mark005 wrote:
I agree, what goes around comes around.

When you build up an audiences expectations by doing miracles on TV that can not be done live...

Well said.

I know some people that have seen the show already....which said it's decent as a cirque show, very thin on the magic.

You can't spend the last few years on TV vanishing in plain sight of park benches, walking on water, floating with people 360 degrees around you and then expect the audience to be stoked over sawing in half, subtrunk, and interlude.
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
I totally agree with Steve!
Where are the reviews from us on the show!
Not some speculations on why it wont work, but on why it didn't work the night you saw it!

anybody?

Just,
Larry

Ps. Steve Pm when you hear from your friend I would love to hear what they say!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hey Larry, did you read the reviews of folks who HAD seen the show in the Las Vegas Review???

B
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
Ha yep and I commented on another thread (the Copperfield old man line is priceless, for pr reasons too!)

But what I take Steve as meaning, and myself for sure as meaning, is Magician to Magician how was the show?

Because one thing I heard is, when they created the show most of the magic will not just be set "tricks" (Ie; stop look at this...and...TADA!"), as much as plot points/ moments.
And some audiences wont see them as tricks like we do?

just,
Larry
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
Like I had heard that he will do a flying over the audience (ala Mary Poppins on Broadway!) but there will be no Hoops passed around him, he will not fly up and land then walk around, or go into some box, etc.
so to most people they might just take that as theatrical trick not a magic trick.

does this make sense?

Just,
Larry
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-10-01 09:15, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-29 19:01, Bill Nuvo wrote:
In all fairness, this wasn't a proper review on the show, but fan reaction.

But isn't that EXACTLY what a review is? Your reaction to a show written on paper?

No. A review is done by somebody with knowledge and not ignorance (actual dictionary meaning). I wouldn't listen to a "review" from some Jock-type meathead about Mamma Mia the musical. I'd listen to people from a theatrical background.
magicross
View Profile
New user
Staffordshire England
76 Posts

Profile of magicross
Well if all else fails I vote they replace Chris with these two
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gkBPOfqzpb0

I love that music
Ross
Stafforshire UK

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=521027722
(feel free to add me)
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
I can't believe I'm saying this but after watching that youtube clip....I'm rooting for Criss!!!

Robert
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Bill, the only problem is these reviewers do not pay the show's bills. You can have a great product, but what if no one comes??? OR, cares to come!

I think my concern for a Criss Angel show with the Cirque, is the demographic that is attracted to him. Will they go, will they pay to go? And it is a permanent, stationary show.

I think I would have like to have seen Criss cash in on his International t.v. exposure with a "concert" arena tour. Not ready for 2 hours 30 min.? Open with a band, and let him do the last half "star turn". I certainly think the market would have been ready for him, and accepted a show like this. Promoter? Go back to his roots. I believe the WWF (WWE) had a hand in his New York show, they could have done one h*** of a job with a tour for him. Think about it! Just the mechandising alone!!! MEGA!

It would not even have needed to be "over" produced, as with a Cirque show. (costumes, decor etc.)

Let Criss do what he does best!

B
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Um... what Criss does best is the magical version of lip syncing. the man is the Milli Vanilli of magic. I'm not surprised to hear the reviews. Criss' fan base is used to seeing his over the top methods from his tv show and a live show just isn't going to be the same.

I know everyone says he had a great stage show long ago, but from what I can tell, he prety much modified a lot of the stuff from that show to do his 1st tv special and season 1 of his show. (at least I know his big buzz saw, subtrunk with fire, and his interlude was from his live show) and to be honest I didn't like them too much on the show.

I don't like Criss Angel's methods. I think he abuses magic by always taking the easy way out, and you cant do that live and have a good show.
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I agree Blair totally. My point was just that some people were jumping on the show sucks bandwagon without actually finding out what the show was actually like (either by seeing it or by proper review).
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

I still believe Criss could hold his own in a rock environment arena show with an edge. David C's fan base is now getting a little long in the tooth and Criss could fill the gap. (Between Disney arena shows, and David C.) Hopefullly Criss doesn't burn up all his credit with this foray with the Cirque.

B
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Like Night and Day ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL