The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Sadness of a book lover... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
When I read a book as fascinating as "Holy Art" by William Ligon... I hate electronic ! Because the book lover that I am would love to have this book physically in his hands ! I mean a REAL book. Feeling the weight of it, smelling the leather of the cover, earing the sound of the pages when you turn them. Touching the grain of the paper.

Holy Art is really a book I love. For example I've never read before in a book of magic anything about Hindu magic.

There are so many ideas I appreciate in your book William.

When I read your effect AndyII I immediately imagined a different story. It is related to a personnal experience I had in New York on the 30th august 2001. I was looking at the top of the World Trade Center from the street and I had a frightening vision. I don't want to say much more about it as it is a sensible topic but it remained for me a so strong experience. When I read your effect I saw something else than what you describe. I associated the title "Astral Plane", not related to the effect, to the 3rd figure. Everything took place.

And so many other things.

Thank you for this great e-book.

Best,

Fred
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
Wow...it is a sensitive topic, but please, do tell more.

Agreed about Bill's book. I bought it and consider it one of the classics in bizarre magick--I would love to have a leather bound copy to hold in my hands.
Magic in the Shadows
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Thanks, guys!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
Actually I had a vision of a big fire in the last floors of the tower. And I thought it would be a terrible thing trying to leave the building. Twelve days after I was in France in front of my TV and I watched the terrible thing that happened. I will never forget these two days and I feel a lot of compassion for all concerned people.

When I read page 71 of Bill's book I immediately saw 2 things : the word "plane" (in "astral plane") and the 3rd figure I interpreted as an incomplete folded paper plane. Then I made links between several things. I made 3 aditionnal folds to obtain a plane then the story followed.

Here is the result and I must say that if I wouldn't had my vision experience I would have never dare telling this frightening tale. Only those who have Bill's book will really understand...

"A few years ago during a travel abroad I made a strange dream. It started with a big white plane (I show the paper plane) flying silently, low in the sky. Nobody paying attention to it. Suddenly the plane is torn in several pieces (following Bill's effect). The larger one transformed itself in a very high edifice, pointing proudly to the sky (I put vertically on the table the longest piece of torn paper). Then it spread itself in an even more majestic white cross (following Bill's effect). The cross then faded out. I saw then the other pieces of the torn plane moving on the ground, arranging themselves in a word using every piece. Very soon the word was readable on the ground in large letters. The word was : HELL (following Bill's effect). The next day I missed my plane for New-York. It was the 11th september 2001".

Using real stories in our repertoire is a delicate thing. At the same time I think it is a way for people to take distance from horror. Who better than a storyteller and magician, artist of metaphors, can do it ? The tone is crucial as the way you presents the story. Not for everybody I'm sure. I dare to do it. Taking responsability of it. Sure it would be safer to present a sponge balls routine. But are we "prestidigitateur" or magician ?

I've not finished reading your book Bill and I discover many great ideas along the path.

Fred
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Wow, that is a powerful story! I see nothing wrong with presenting it, especially since it is based on your personal experience. Too, I really appreciate the way you have turned from my story and used the thing in your own way. Using the large piece of paper to represent the building is brilliant!

The only problem might be in presenting it to people who had family members or friends involved in the tragedy, but done with sensitivity to the emotions involved, I don't think this is a real concern. I see it more as a salute to the victims. I wholeheartedly approve!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
Thanks for sharing that with us Fred. That's an amazing vision you had, and a wonderful, affective way to present the effect. Kudos!
Magic in the Shadows
Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
Thank you Smile
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Thank you.

Very deep, you have given me much to think about Fred....
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Sadness of a book lover... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL