The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I'm a Builder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
Just to let everyone know, I live in northern Ohio near Cedar Point. I am in the process of building some illusions for a show that I will be doing. If anyone is interested, I'm extremely good at woodworking. I've taken it for 4 years in 4-H and gotten 3 outstanding of the days for the Ohio State Fair. I can build anyone a closeup table, ditch table...really anything. Just e-mail me some drawings or tell me what you want. I am almost 16, but don't just think that because I'm young I can't build. I have a dad who is also very good with woodworking. Just PM if you want to know any details on me building something. I'd do it for cheap, I'm not looking to take your money. Just provide you with good quality props...Thanks Luke
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Post some picts of some of your previous work, and post picts of the illusions you are building in progress and when finished, that will go a long way towards getting you orders. I've seen plenty of 16 year olds do some fine cabinet work when they have had the proper training.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
Well ...I hadn't had too much time with school and everything to work on my illusions, but I made a topic earlier about making a shadow box base, http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj227/1lpoock/1-1.jpg I'm also in the process of building a sub trunk. I don't have any pics of closeup tables or anything because I haven't built them, but I really want to get into that field of building if anyone needed anything.
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
I know the base is far from finished, but I just haven't got around to it yet.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
This may sound harsh, but better to hear it from your friends. What you have posted is like someone posting: "I am a magician. I haven't actually done any shows yet, but I'm still a magician. I don't have any tricks yet, but I am in the process of getting some. If you want me to do a show for you, just let me know. I'm very good."

Finish something first, then post that you are a builder. If you never complete any building projects you start, you can't really call yourself a builder.

I hope you don't take offense at that, but kick yourself into high gear and finish a project, then come back here and show us what you have accomplished.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Spellbinder is 100% right. You're young and its certainly not our intention to put you down, but you really should have something to show everyone here. Build a close-up table, post pictures and then ask again. Best of luck in building!
Sent from my Typewriter
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
I see what you guys mean, no offense taken.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2680 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Luke, keep in mind that building proper illusions will take a lot more than just a back ground in wood working. When building props you need a background in a lot of other areas as well such as metal work/welding(and with steel/alluminum), plexiglass, lamement, arberight, fabric, pvc foam board, etc., along with design, and you need to know how to build something deceptive. There are right ways and wrong ways.

I can already see flaws in your design on that base. It appears you have framed it with 2x4s. Do you realize how much more heavy that will eventually make the prop? I don't know of a single professional builder who builds anything with 2x4s in it. Not only is it bad wood, and unfinished, and warped eaisly but it is extremely heavy. I would be upset as a customer if I had a base built the way this one appears to be designed so far.

You need to learn how to construct props that are light weight yet rigid, and 2x4s are not the answer.

You will also need to have extensive knowledge in how to finish a prop, rather than just painting it as there is a lot more to finishing illusions than your average woodworking.

keep in mind you will need to know how to construct the props so they can break down(quckly) and yet set up rigid. There is so much to know and learn. So start off by building your own props first, as well as buying illusions from known builders so you can see the differences and learn from your mistakes. Books and plans can be your best friend during this process. And then slowly grow into building props for others, after you have something to show.

Good Luck,

Peter.
Brand New: SPELLBINDER -The New Supernatural Stage Table
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
It looks like he is building a base as described by Rand Woodbury in his video. I've read where people on here recommend Woodbury's videos to someone looking to get started building illusions, but that seems to be bad advice since the building methods are outdated. So, what are some more up to date sources for someone with a background in cabinetry, other areas, and who wants to learn to build a base?
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2680 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Hi Michael you may be correct. But I beleive that Rand's video are for more Home Builds. (easy construction and sacrificing practicality/weight etc.). These are fine for the do it yourself magician who is just starting out and wants to add some bigger props for their own show, but to sell this kind of quality would probably upset most consumers from a professional stand point.

Another flaw in that 2x4 design the way it was built in that photo is that the ends are not 45'd so the end grain will always show, unless you put on 20 coats of paint(seriously) and sand in between each coat. You never want the end grain to be visible espicially if paint is your finishing of choice. If you are going to finish it in a lamenant, aluminium or aberight etc, then its not as much of a concern expect the fact tha 2x4s are generally not straight boards, not to mention the weight issue is still unresolved.

The big problem is that most builders do not publish their trade secrets in any book. When I was refering to books or plans, I was mentioning this more as a reference in over all design and deception, not neccessarily on how to construct the prop material wise. Infact most plans do not even come with measurements, and rarely list materials, or the way to cut/build the prop. Heck I remember once consulting Johnny Gaughn asking him for a good source for roller blinds years ago when I was starting out, and he told me to go to walmart and buy a certain kind of blind, well it broke with in the first few attempts of using it in the prop. But I don't blame him, why would he want to give away his trade secrets. I eventaully had to do the research myself and found the proper blinds.

Your question on books/plans as a source is a great question however, Most plans are very vague with the creativity and trade secrets left up to the builder. This is why I mention he should actually buy or at least see someone who owns illusions built by other known builders so he can examine the work a little more carefully. And not from any one builder but from several or as many different builders as you can, as most builders all have slightly different ways of doing the same thing.

Before I began building I must have purchased close to 20 stage illusions over the years for my own show built by different designers/builders. I learned a lot about the construction of illusions this way, and have taken my own style mixed with some of the proven methods used by other known builders to create and build my stage illusions. Its not an easy market.

The other problem is with the likes of snap illusions or even the popularity of auction sites, and the crave for more street style magic shows as opposed to the classic stage illusions, the market for big stage illusions is decreasing rapidly. So most builders are not letting any of their trade building secrets go public at all. In some cases they will tell you something different just to keep their style secret. Unfortunately building QUALITY illusions is something that must be learned with experience, its just not as simple as picking up a book with a wood working background and then bang you become an instant illusion builder. Yes there is mateial out there with projects directed at the do it yourself builder, but not neccessarily for making it your full time job.

Peter.
Brand New: SPELLBINDER -The New Supernatural Stage Table
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
734 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Peter, when you wrote
"The other problem is with the likes of snap illusions or even the popularity of auction sites, and the crave for more street style magic shows as opposed to the classic stage illusions, the market for big stage illusions is decreasing rapidly. So most builders are not letting any of their trade building secrets go public at all. In some cases they will tell you something different just to keep their style secret. Unfortunately building QUALITY illusions is something that must be learned with experience, its just not as simple as picking up a book with a wood working background and then bang you become an instant illusion builder. Yes there is mateial out there with projects directed at the do it yourself builder, but not neccessarily for making it your full time job."
You hit the nail on the head (no pun intended).

Joe
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
I agree, if you want to become a professional, a lot of experience and seeing other's work will help a lot. But, then again isn't that the reason there is this forum?
Kevin Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I'm a Builder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL