The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building a table for Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Forgive me if I missed a previous post, but I would like to build a Gazzo-like busking table for C&B. Is there anyone who can help me with the ideal dimensions and materials needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
I have built a number of these tables. As far as size goes I think that's a matter of personal preference.The materials I used for my table top was 1/2inch plywood and foam rubber covered with a medium duty billiard felt. The rest was made from red oak. I have attatached pictures to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t346/......2075.jpg
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t346/......1956.jpg
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Very nice looking tables, how did you make the legs attach?
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
The table top just sits on the leg section and is held in place with a spring clamp. The spring clamp is attached < (spelled it right this time) to the dowel at the top of the leg section. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Nick (remote guy)
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Check out Ammar's site he sells plans for a very nice table.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Thanks for the advise guys..time to hunt for some supplies.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I have a question regarding the pool table felt...

I have the table top ready, I layed an auto headliner subsurface down glued with 3m 77 spray glue. Still waiting on felt to arrive. Now should I use the spray glue to tack the felt down to the headliner as I stretch it over the table, or do I just stretch and tack it to the back?

thanks
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Just stretch and staple.
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
173 Posts

Profile of magia355
HI, I would spray the glue, and then staple it to the back for extra security.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
539 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Do not glue the felt. "There is no need for it, not to mention you could ruin a expensive piece of felt". This advice coming from a uncle who has been in the upholstery trade for over 40 years.
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
173 Posts

Profile of magia355
I guess it's a personal preference...I have built many close-up tables and I have never damaged any felt. I perfer to glue the felt because it provides a secure and movement free, not to mentioned that I feel it gives a cleaner appearance...

Just a thought.
Richard......
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
173 Posts

Profile of magia355
Sorry, I forgot; I wanted to show you pictures of my recently built table...The table felt is attached as mentioned above...Hope this helps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11047925@N05/show/

Richard
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
That is a very beautiful table..nice job! I am going to have to ponder this glue or not to glue question....what if I spray the glue lay it out and it is too sticky to stretch to smooth out any irregularities? although I like the idea of the security it seems to offer by being fully bound to the table...hmmm WWBPD... I wonder?
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
173 Posts

Profile of magia355
To solve your problem all you have to do is start laying the cloth on one side and slowly place the cloth on the table till it reaches the other side....I'ts just like putting wallpaper....Hope this helps...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I have used spray adhesive and stretched both with good results. I did have one sprayed version bubble up some over time but it may have been cheap spray or early in my learning curve! May be just a matter of pref.!

Mick
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
While I am waiting to build a more elaborate table, I put this together today to get a start on things. this is a 22 x 34 1/2 birch ply with headliner sub surface, and hunter green velvet stretched and glued. Framing is stock home depot pine with golden pecan stain, and backing is a 1/4 birch ply panel to hide the staples. Resturant tray stand below. This was fun to experiment with, I learned some things that I will try on the next one.

Click here to view attached image.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Looks like a hellava good job especially for a first go! Is the height adjustable by spanning the waiter stand out?

Nice work friend,

Mick
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
The table height is 33" with the stock straps on the waiter's stand. These would have to be cut off and replaced with new ones to change the height. Not a flexable option really. At 30 bucks for the stand, it is not bad in a pinch.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Looks nice, another option is to use an already made frame (I bought one at TJ MAX where the glass was broken and the painting ruined for $5). Follow the same process with the ply, liner and what ever else you want to use, and paint it with your choice of color.

The frame should have enough "deep" to allow for the plywood and the liner, they'll show up from time to time

Pablo
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Well, the billiard table cloth I ordered came today, so I had to make another one to see which surface I liked better. This one is smaller 20x30 made the same way.

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Building a table for Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL