The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Dream Coin set or Mirage Coin set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to purchase either one of these sets of coins. I'm familiar with Craig's work (I purchased split happens--Two Thumbs up!) and read all of the reviews for the Mirage coins set. As I expected, Craig's Mirage Coin set seems excellent and the teaching on the DVD is, to my understanding, superb. I am not familiar with the Dream coin set by Johnny Wong.

Does anyone have a good comparison for me? Thanks so much for any help you may provide. By the way, the current gaffs I own are the flipper coin, split half, expanded shell, etc...

Mike Smile
Starromeo
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Starromeo
Mirage coin sets and dream coin involve totally different gaff, the mirage coin set comes with a dvd full of real world routine. You can get a dvd with dream coin sets, but people who got them said the explanation isn't very good
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Thanks for the info. From what I researched it appears the Mirage coins are the way to go. If anyone has another opinion please let me know. Thanks again!
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Thanks for the info. From what I researched it appears the Mirage coins are the way to go. If anyone has another opinion please let me know. Thanks again!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1320 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your interest in Mirage. There are two components in the Dream Coin set and one of them is a split coin. So if you already have a split coin you have half the set already. I do not owm this set but I was told that the instructions leave a lot to be desired. I know that the set is very clever and I am sure there is a lot you can do with it especially if you combine the technique I teach on Split Happens.

As for Mirage there are 8 full length routines taught in depth all of which are real world and mostly (they are performed in the hands (there are two exceptions - The Matrix routine and the Coin Box routine). You get everything you need including the regular coins and from what you told me in your pm there will be at least two components of the set that you will not have at the moment.

The best thing about Mirage is it is a virtual toolbox. You do not need to use all the components at the same time and different routines use different elements. I also included a full sleight section (like the one I included on Split Happens) to cover all the moves you will need.

I hope this helps you decide and if I can help more just let me know

Craig
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Thanks Craig!

I'll be anxiously awaiting your coin set.

Mike Smile
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
I just reviewed Mirage by Craig Petty. It's a great set of gimmicked coins and Craig teaches some excellent and powerful routines on the accompanying DVD.

You can read my review here:
http://magic.about.com/od/magicianwebpag......rage.htm

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
twisted_spoon
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of twisted_spoon
I have also been looking into purchasing a "set". Some of which are the ones mentioned here. I am wondering what the real benefit is. My reason was that I could get a few good gaffs and a few routines all in one shot. But, Mike, I noticed you already have a few gaffs. Just out of curiosity, what is your reason for wanting to buy one of these sets? Is it for the specific gaffs or mostly for the routine? I know it's going to be a little of both, but which originally made you want to get one of these?
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Hi!

We'll I just received my mirage set! Thanks Craig for a wonderful set of gaffs and as I expected a terrific DVD. To answer twisted_spoon's question, I purchased this for the specific gaffs and for Craig's handling of these gaffs. He's an incredible teacher and the routines go far beyond what Craig shows. As far as the gaffs are concerned all but one are great. For the price I was a little disappointed in one particular gaff. BUT most people probably have this gaff anyway (or purchase elsewhere) so I would not suggest not buying this. In fact, I highly recommend buying this. What Craig has done allows me to "put away" some gaff tricks and use his set to accomplish many of the same routines.

I hope this helps.
bnburns
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of bnburns
I agree with the comments on "that particular gaff"- I paid $189 when this was new-
love the main gaff, love the DVD and routines. This should have been priced at about $120-$140 without the horrible version of "that particular gaff" and I'd be very happy. As is, I feel I paid too much for what I got.

Don't get me wrong-I love Craig's stuff and have Flipped Out and Split Happens and think they are great.
Sniper01
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Sniper01
I have both the Dream Coin Set and the Mirage, ..... I like them both.

I think both sets are very versatile and unique in their own way.

I really like some aspects and possibilities of the Dream Coin Set, but the included video is very poorly made. You can figure out what is going on, and learn the routines, but it is obviously not professionally made with a good user friendly menu system for easy learning transition and study. They really should redo the video. Worth the money,.... yea I think so.

The Mirage Set is considerably more expensive but, .... It does have some really nice gaffs with amazing possibilities, and a very professionally done video full of routines and teaching. Worth the money, ..... again, I think if your are seriously into coin magic, yes definately.

If I had to choose one I would likely choose the Mirage Set, .... but I don't and I am glad I have both sets.
The Great Dave
View Profile
Regular user
My Wife said "It's Me or that Stupid Magic Website!" this many times.
181 Posts

Profile of The Great Dave
I am delighted with this set and the DVD instructions. I work with Morgans exclusively and only work with other coins on rare exceptions. I purchased this set for the gravity style silver copper flipper and to see what Craig was up to in routines. Very creative coin design and very novel handling surround this. None of my half shells would fit a standard English penny so I thought that would be an added bonus. At my level the novelty of the mixed flipper and the routines surrounding it and the mixed silver shell and copper coin was worth the price of admission. And you will never see a more attractive Chinese Coin in half dollar size. I have ordered a mixed flipper and matching silver shell copper coin from Todd Lassen to move this set to my preferred coin size. I've never seen Todd or Jamie offer a silver copper flipper set. What an inspired gaff. Professionally, I can't recommend this set enough. The coins are well built - (Oh give me a break, nobody looks that close if you work your gimmick well enough. Recognize the gimmicks of any coin set and handle them to your advantage.) - and the handling on the DVD is first rate. You will definitely get your money's worth out of this set.

Best,
Dave
Academy of Magical Arts

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! Whoops, wrong hat ...
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Hi Guys,
Just to let you all know,
We have also made the Mirage Set and the Split Coin in Walking Liberty halfs, Silver 64 Kennedys, Barbers, Morgans, Australian Coins and various others. These sets are made to order and normally take around two weeks.

Contact me jim@worldmagicshop.co.uk if you are interested.

best regards
Jim
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of afknight
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 13:48, Jaz2005 wrote:
Hi Guys,
Just to let you all know,
We have also made the Mirage Set and the Split Coin in Walking Liberty halfs, Silver 64 Kennedys, Barbers, Morgans, Australian Coins and various others. These sets are made to order and normally take around two weeks.

Great news Jim! I have the original of each but you'll be hearing from me for one of these special orders! I love the coin sets. Thanks

afknight

best regards
Jim
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Quote:

Thanks Alton,

Reply to your emaail is on route.

best regards
Jim

Great news Jim! I have the original of each but you'll be hearing from me for one of these special orders! I love the coin sets. Thanks

afknight

best regards
Jim

[/quote]
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
How much are the silver split coins going for? Do you make them from soft and uncirculated?
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of mrehula
I bought a Coin Thru Bill coin a month or so ago because I saw so much more potential in the gaff than it going through a dollar bill (in fact, I don't think the effect works so well). So cool!

I was a little disappointed that I wasn't the first one to feel this way, but I was even more grateful to see that someone had done a lot of work with it, enough to produce a DVD on it -- I'm referring to Craig Petty's Split Happens. Such a great gaff, and such a great DVD.

Mirage is definitely on my short list to buy (I was actually about to impulse-buy it as soon as I read about it, until I saw the price . . . ) since Craig is behind this one as well.

It'd be nice to be a purist about coin work, but gaffs are so much fun and so deceptive!
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I recently got one of Jim's Split coins in Walking liberty, The coin is well made, and I received it extremely quickly, as he had some in stock. It was made from a 45 WL in fine/medium soft condition.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1513 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I see the dream coin set is now availbe in uk 10p's
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p3140/Dream_C......nfo.html
along with jonny's new "trinity set", also in 10p's
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1941 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Just picked up this set and had the same initial reaction to "that particular gaff", especially based on the strong reviews and some favorable comparisons to "Johnson level" quality for the set. This particular item is definitely below Johnson.

For starters, it's not made from a real coin. The bust on that item seems smaller than the rest of my coins of that type -- but that may just be due to the year used (2001) -- Everything else I have is from the '60s or '70s.

On the plus side, because it's not a real coin made from silver or copper-nickel clad, it has a physical property a "real" one wouldn't have, that could come in handy. As mentioned above, most anyone buying this set already has a "real" one, and I'm no different there. Fortunately (for me), for the price I paid second-hand, I could go out and buy a new Johnson's and still come out ahead, but I can understand where some were disappointed - especially those who jumped in early at premium prices.

Fortunately, the "main feature" item is much better. Lots to explore with this set for sure, not to mention the DVD full of material which I'm just dipping into.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Dream Coin set or Mirage Coin set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL