The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Manufacturing Prices (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Slater
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Ron Slater
Are any of you knowledgable about manufacturer unit costs?

I was curious how much it cost to make:

an average mens wallet
a double faced deck of cards

An average leather mens wallet can be purchased for as little as $12-15 but I have no idea what the markup is. Double backed and faced decks are generally sold for around $5 so I can only imagine the production cost is pennies on the dollar.

Thanks,

R. Slater
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Ron-

I want to start by saying I have never had cards or wallets manufactured. However, I have had other products manufactured to my specifications and dealt with pricing, importing, customs fees, etc...

As to markup, it is what you can sell it for and it varies. Traditionally, the wholesaler marks up items 100% and the retailer does the same. So your production costs are 25% of the final retail price. However in the days of cheap foreign imports, this isn't always true. The retail markup can be much, much higher.

For instance, I can get leather wallets from China for $2.00 at my local flea market. This is a whole lot less than $12-15 and I bet the seller is getting them from less than a dollar each.

Your question is very broad and probably needs to be narrowed down. You may have thought about all of this, but here is what I would recommend you answering:

1. What is your market? Are you wanting the absolute highest quality or just something that isn't crap? There is a big difference between the two. This changes your price points, total sales and where you can outsource. You need to know your market and where and how to market the item.

2. How many of these items do you want? This always affects production price and goes along with number 1 above. I have never dealt with any manufacturer who didn't give breaks based on quantity, even if it is just a total % discount based on overall purchase price.

3. Is it absolutely necessary to have things custom made? Can you modify things that are already out there on the market for your needs. This always keeps costs down.

Your post didn't really give enough information to cover these issues. Hopefully I provided some help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Manufacturing Prices (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL