The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » So who watched it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
Haha...his jokes were ridiculously stupid!
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of tntjr
He exposed Prohibition, a marketed effect. Pretty bad.
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
I guess some David Martin would be looking a little good at this point compared to these specials....

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
ncarifo
View Profile
New user
Burbank, California
56 Posts

Profile of ncarifo
The show is a nothing, and at best, it's worthy of being ignored... like a crying toddler just looking for attention. I wouldn't have even known it was on if it were not for posts about it here. And, even then, I didn't watch it. I have no interest in the show and don't care what he does. And that's coming from me, an illusionist.

I suggest we not begin posting his list of crap here, or anywhere. Nothing in the show should cause you to change yours, as long as you have something he doesn't -- Talent.

He's just a has-been grasping for a little more attention, and found someone to give it to him. He's a joke.

I suggest, we collectively ignore the show from here on in. Any complaints, lists, or disappointments anyone posts here will only serve the "little show that could" the fodder they want to help promote it. Be assured they are reading these posts looking for just those sort of complaints.

Feel free to use mine ... "Who Cares?".

Nick
-----------------------------------------
Nicholas Carifo
Modern Magician Productions
nicholas@modernmagician.com
www.modernmagician.com
angelx03
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of angelx03
For anyone who HAS seen it, does anyone know what type of illusion the Masked Magician did that involved a woman inside a steel barrel (it flashed in the opening and near the ending)? It looked like the barrel was full of water.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I thought it was a pretty boring show. I wasn't upset at any point, I guess I will have to put my rising card deck away for awhile. I did like the levitation. That is one way to do it I guess.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I am sick.. disgusted ... All those illusions I've bought in the past are ruined.

As far as I'm concerned magic is on the way out.

People do not pay us to be cute, they pay us because we do things they can't figure out

AAARARARRARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG Ed Massy would be turning in his grave and

Glorpy!!!!! I
Is nothing sacred??????????
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Anyone know where I can purchase a good roller track so I can finally perform the
DeKolta Chair for my birthday party gigs?

-Bryan
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
NICK.... please.... I can't do any of the illusions that were exposed 8 years ago..... let alone tonight.

NFOX... people still come up to me and explain the Broom suspension, Elastic, Mismade and the Zig Zag to name a few. Those illusions can't be done for another.... who knows how long..

For those of you that just think people will forget or this show dose not do much harm, you can't be performing illusions. Did I ever tell you about the one where I was doing 80 illusions shows a year and was reduced to 1 overnight?

Signing off and going to sleep - - - -- let me know when it's over.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Ya gotta love when someone will shout out what the method is that they saw on TV, and then they're proved wrong. I.E. Kundalini Rising.

BTW, what the hell was that "Donut of Death" thing.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I still perform the subtrunk and up until last year the ZZ. Everyone still loved it. I think that magic is in the presentation. I know how someone makes a coin or sponge ball vanish but if they are good it is very impressive. I think that this is true for illusions as well. We will survive, we will rise from the ashes and become more creative or we will die. As long as magic has been around there have been those who have exposed it. It is still around today and it will be tomorrow. Don't panic just perform, entertain and do it with a smile. If it is the end then I am going to go out with dignity like the musicians on the Titanic not like a sniveling cry baby. Just my two cents.
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of SeanScottMagic
I'm actually surprised they haven't went after more of the street magic scene. TV magic has been typically Blaine or Angel the last few years, but they pick up Mitch and go with the same tired stage illusion approach. Hmmmm... Anyone wonder about the same thing?

Sean
http://WWW.THEARTOFSEANSCOTT.COM
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Dear fellows

I agree that Copperfield' saw from MM is a joke apparatus but is close to real secret but Dekolta and Copperfield Chinese wall was exactly the secrets of magic ....I know that there are base more thiner like from the serial but to now the peoples will know better some conceals some things about how could vanish a person...
This jerk has a lot of episodes but the sad thing is he had a lot of seasons ...
I tell you again the rating is low I understand but the special will be buy it and will be spread it in all the world in time ...
As I said David Copperfield has a lot of money and is close to retair Criss made a lot of money and did all magic tricks in his Tv special Blaine the same ...and Who cares about all these illusions because any method to stop the MM is not good?

The builders will feel it on theyrs wallets and will close the business and will exist just some very very unique pieces of magic just for some big names in magic and for us will remain the revealed illusions.Today if you want something unique you must to pay a very lot of money ...too much money ...
What could I say more ...we will see the evolution of this bad thing in time.
I dreamed a lot at some apparatus and I bought some original and I am proud to have it but when I see this cancer I haven't the same joy to perform like some years ago.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Copperfield will maybe make a move when they will expose his Portal!!! Put the jerks into courts and justice and they will stop!!! hey!!! They're trying to sell their props on magic auction!!!!
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
344 Posts

Profile of dlachance
I think we are all missing an even bigger point and/or problem. And it is not the exposure. The way this show is done it makes us all look like crooks just trying to dupe the public out of there hard earned money. It says nothing for the brilliant creators that labored over design, prototype, failure, redesign, failure and on and on. It says nothing for the hours of practice, sweat and tears that we put into out performances. It just comes off like Fox is protecting the public from the evil magician trying to trick them.

Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Dr. Reneau
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Dr. Reneau
Valentino was listed in the credits as Magic Advisor.
My TV Network is the least watched broadcast network here in the US and I imagine more magicians watched the show than laymen.
The real secret to magic has not been "exposed" on these shows and that is "Presentation". A good presentation captures the audience and leads them away from the "Method". The current MM displays no style or talent. Given the attention span of the average audience of today any of these effects can still be performed. We just need to lead the audiences down the garden path.
Eric Jamborsky

Dr. Reneau,
Headmaster,
Hogwash School of Really Weird Stuff
DocNOLA
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of DocNOLA
Quote:
On 2008-10-07 11:34, dlachance wrote:
I think we are all missing an even bigger point and/or problem. And it is not the exposure. The way this show is done it makes us all look like crooks just trying to dupe the public out of there hard earned money. It says nothing for the brilliant creators that labored over design, prototype, failure, redesign, failure and on and on. It says nothing for the hours of practice, sweat and tears that we put into out performances. It just comes off like Fox is protecting the public from the evil magician trying to trick them.
Dorian

I agree. Just like the original series, with Mitch narrating, if anything it is condescending to the audience/viewers. It tries to reduce all forms of magic to puzzles or scams.

Though I haven't played with it in a while, exposing "Healed and Sealed," or at least a plausible version of it, along with other marketed effects is painful to see.

While I don't think any magician on the planet has a real legal case re: secret exposure per se, I believe there are laws that protect certain trade secrets, though in magic, most non-disclosure agreements are non-binding. Even if he made a show that exposed more of DC's effects, for instance, unless he could prove that it directly damaged the livlihoods of him and his crew, there likely couldn't be a valid lawsuit. Even if it were the case, the publicity would only generate more interest in these shows, denying them the quiet, forgotten death they deserve. And it could be argued that, as demonstrated by past Masked Magician exploits, interest in magic, Vegas shows, etc., tends to go up briefly, which would kill the "hurts the crew" argument, unless there's something more compelling.

I'm not an attorney, but sometimes I wish someone could silently turn the screws on these people, because they actually do hurt magicians. Sure, the first series didn't go after DC or Angel or anyone else - it attacked beginners, kids, and even more troubling pros who may have saved up to buy/build expensive Zig-zags, etc. They shied away from taking on DC, except for the Table of Death (ok...Kole) using the least-deceptive Table of Death prop they could find. But this series appears even more sinister.

If only we had the legal protections other "trades" had...
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
If someone here has the "chance" to meet Valentino, please do me a favour, beat the %?&?%%$$% out of him...He totally deserves it!!!!
OK?! Thanks! You're kind! You'll see! You'll feel better!!!
Eric
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
Since the first set of specials yrs ago, it has inspired many young guys and girls to become magicians.... Now we must have around 2oo or so more semi pro magicians than we had back then. I feel bad for all of these acts that have spent around 50,000 to 100,000 or so trying to create an illusion show and then this sort of thing starts up again... Last time it hurt the ZZ this time the twister and dekolta chair etc.... This is just hard on the Magicians..

How many magicians are OK with this show? So many magicians are acting like this is not a big deal, I think they are doing this to just make them selfs feel better..

This is like a hurricane.. some times a hurricane knocks out a house and then other times it takes out an entire town.

A lot of magicians seem to have forgiven Val after the first set of specials, because of his deep problem with the IRS and a death in the family ...
He claims to have try to protect magic back then by giving bogus Gimmicks on the Illusions etc..... He said someone was going to do it, so he was basically trying to make a buck and save magic with this type of protection of bogus stunts...
Any how I don't believe that any of those reasons are worthy of F------ up our art.
Since then there has been a DIVORCE and Depression, blackballed from the magic community to ever work as a real magician and a loss of the 350,000 dollars that was originally made... He was making around 75,000 to 100,000 a yr working in Vegas and in Laughlin NV as a 12 to 15 min act and was pretty good .

I'm told he has some addictions that cost a lot of money .... So this could be the reason for him talkin the Company into redoing a show .... Not sure.

I'm not a fan of this sort of thing... I was a friend of his back in the days in Vegas when he was just a working nice guy magician...

What a bad turn on the art of Magic and Illusion...

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
As Usual with these specials
its the beginner-semi pro
who has built up a neat show
Bought 1 or 2 Illusions & now gets hurt again..............
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » So who watched it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL