The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Barry Price Wallet (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bill7
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
212 Posts

Profile of bill7
Hello,
I finally got a hold of the Barry price wallet, unfortunately this did not come with instructions or the Stapled routine. As I have the wallet now, does anybody know where I can find a set of instructions for the stapled version,
Thank you for any help,
Bill G.
Virginia, USA
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
The Hocus-Pocus production that was a collaboration with Barry Price didn’t come with that routine I’m pretty sure. Rather the HP version came with a VHS simply showing the mechanics of loading the wallet with an envelope.

The original production of the wallet was an Owen Magic Supreme production I’m pretty sure. I think that’s when the “stapled” routine was part of the release with the wallet. You may want to check with Owen Magic Supreme. Maybe they still have a written copy of the routine.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I guess the stapled ... routine could fall into the "too perfect" category.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Barry Price wallet has been around for a long time. I originally advertised in Genii Magazine at $125, that was unheard of in those days. Instructions covered the envelope loading, and an original way to remove the envelope sealed. Not to long ago, Bob Kohler had them available at $425 if I remember correctly the price.

Does Barry Price even exist, I have never heard a thing about this person, except in relation to this wallet.

The envelope is very important, as it give the spectator something to show and reference about their experience. My Brother-in-Law brought an envelope all the way back from Florida when he seen a magician in a restaurant. He was very impressed by his experience.

The Barry Prices Wallet is not any better then the Larry Jennings wallets put out by Jeff Busby years ago. They are interchangeable in working. The difference is the Price wallet is stiff thick and hard, with smooth leather, the Jennings' wallet is soft subtle and has a bill section at the back. I could carry 4 additional money tricks in the Jennings' wallet. And O' so soft to the touch.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The Barry Price wallet has been around for a long time. I originally advertised in Genii Magazine at $125, that was unheard of in those days. Instructions covered the envelope loading, and an original way to remove the envelope sealed. Not to long ago, Bob Kohler had them available at $425 if I remember correctly the price.

Does Barry Price even exist, I have never heard a thing about this person, except in relation to this wallet.

The envelope is very important, as it give the spectator something to show and reference about their experience. My Brother-in-Law brought an envelope all the way back from Florida when he seen a magician in a restaurant. He was very impressed by his experience.

The Barry Prices Wallet is not any better then the Larry Jennings wallets put out by Jeff Busby years ago. They are interchangeable in working. The difference is the Price wallet is stiff thick and hard, with smooth leather, the Jennings' wallet is soft subtle and has a bill section at the back. I could carry 4 additional money tricks in the Jennings' wallet. And O' so soft to the touch.

Hi Bill,

I’m pretty sure that the wallet you mentioned which Bob Kohler released over a decade ago was the Michael Forbes Portfolio, not the Barry Price wallet. I’ve got both wallets and they’re both exceptional.

I remember seeing Barry Price once in a while at Hollywood Magic and a few times at the Castle back in the day. He showed me his color change and despite his declining health the illusion was perfect.
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
Barry Price was a real person. He was on the auditing committee when I auditioned for The Academy of Magical Arts. He was a student of Marlo’s if I am correct.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Barry Price wallet was made and sold by Owen's Magic for a time over 20 years ago. I got my edition from them at the time.

It is an elegant gentleman's (oversized) wallet. It is made from a smooth and stiff leather. It does have a feature of a small extra "tab" of leather to hold the "working" open. It also came with an extra gaff device (or device that was gaffed) that allowed the signed card or borrowed and signed bill to end up stapled between two pieces of cardboard. When the staples were removed so the two pieces of cardboard could be opened and the card/bill removed you'd see staple holes through the borrowed and signed object. A nice touch.

There is no real advantage of having the borrowed and signed object appearing between two stapled pieces of cardboard over appearing in a sealed envelope in terms of effect. Maybe an advantage would be not having to search for and buy the correct size envelope. A simple Kraft paper (light cardboard as found in file folders) cut to size and stapled is a bit easier to find and make. Really houses for courses.

I also have Larry Jennings Wallet as made and sold by Jeff Busby back in the day. The Larry Jennings wallet was made in a very soft and pliable leather and dyed in a number of different colors (mine is a gray-green). It is also a oversized Gentleman's wallet and roughly the same size as the Barry Price wallet. It does not have the little extra tab to hold the works open. If you have the old Supreme Magic "Zippered Wallet" then you have a version of the Larry Jennings wallet. The only difference between the two is the leather used by Supreme is a hard and stiff leather commonly used in wallets.

Honestly any card to wallet can be used to perform the stapled routine. The gaff needed is not part of the wallet.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Barry Price Wallet (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL