The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What size balls for these cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
As a newcomer to the C&B arena, I've acquired a set of Galli Galli cups. Nice and big, nice and heavy.
Anyone got any recommendations about the size of balls, and perhaps the material? I intend to use these in the street next year...
Now.. I know there will be many who say "use what you're comfortable with" - and I very likely will. But - in order to do that, I'm going to have to test a selection of balls. And it's best, in my opinion to start out with the "recommended" set. So - there ya go.
I don't mind paying for them, and would actually prefer a used set.

Cheers!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Try balls in the range from 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch in diameter. You might want to start right off with a 1 1/8 inch ball. When you find the one in this range that feels best to you and allows you to do all of the frills, etc., then buy a couple dozen of them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I'm assuming the leather covered ones are heavier than the standard crochet balls I have. Is that correct?

Tks!

DCB
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Probably. It depends on the core material.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I'm looking at using these balls with the Galli Galli cups, so, I reckon, for open air use, I'd want a "manly" ( I mean, of course, perhaps, heavier..) set... Smile The ones I have right now are fairly lightweight..wool crochet over cork.

Looks like I may have a bit of a problem sourcing these..

Tks

DCB
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Frank seems to have some monkey fist covered mouse balls, they may have a bit more weight to them

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/category......le=Balls
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
The 5 ball set you can get from Frank have a wood core nylon wrap, and one chopped ball. I have never checked the weight, but I wouldn't call them heavy. Deffinately heavier than a cork core.

The leather wrapped, wood core balls are heavier, and slightly larger.

He sells a mouse ball core, that ball measures about an inch, nice weight, and has gotten some good feedback.

There's some info on the balls he sells (I make them, so I'm not just making guesses)

I've been considering using steel bearing cores, in order to get heavier smaller and larger balls, but they have some issue with rust if left wet... and the 1 1/8" core is a reeeeeeally heavy ball.

There are so many choices for cores. The issue is always with supply and cost.

What I use personally is the Pearl Nylon ball with a 1 1/4 core. I havn't really looked for suppliers for large numbers of that core.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Remember, the finished size is equal to the core size plus 2x the thickness of the covering.

For the Galli Galli cups, you might want to try some of those nice baseballs from australia.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
If you're estimating Monkey Fist sizes, it's the core size plus 4x the thickness of the cord. They're not perfectly round (more squarish) but that helps to keep rolling to a minimum. It also means if the balls lodge against each other under the cup corner to corner instead of across the flats, they might hang up. So take that into account too and give yourself some leeway just in case.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What size balls for these cups? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL