The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Setting Animal Traps (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
About 2-3 years ago I bought three traps from Abbott's for Higley's fine routine.

They are sitting right in front of me now, but I no longer have the instructions.

Can someone inform me how to set these traps SAFELY?

Obviously one presses down on the extended V-mechanism, but where from there with the plate and small bar?

There is also a 90-degree piece of metal attached to each ring - are they used in some way?

My fingers do not want to figure this one out on my own Smile

Thanks in advance,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Tod,

Step on the spring bringing it down as far as it will go (the V-mechanism) keeping your foot in place swing the little metal piece or shim over the jaw and slide it under the tab on the round trigger, the more centered it is, in the tab, the better. Slowly release your foot from the spring keeping an eye that the metal shim does not slide out from the tab.

The slower you go the safer it is for you and the more suspense you can build in how dangerous it is.

The hard part is the first time you try to put your hand in. It is a very psycholoical event after you get up the guts to do it it will be easy from there on out. Just becareful not to catch the back of the jaw with your pinky finger, it hurts.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
It can easily be done in the hands, especially with the trap you are using but using the feet is more theatrical.

Press down on the lever with your right foot. This will loosen the jaws. Open them flat.

You now have two jaws, one by the catch and one free. Both are loose. Raise the free jaw a bit and put your left hand UNDER this jaw to get to the catch. That way if you slip it won't close on your hand.

With the right hand put the catch over the remaining jaw. Left hand takes the pan and lifts it to engage the catch, then the right hand clears. Slowly release pressure with your foot and the catch will engage.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The metal piece on the ring, would be used to stake the trap to the ground, which prevents the fuzzy little creature from running away, before the big man comes and clubs it to death. That's how fur coats are made.

I've used the above in some trap presentations, and it plays nicely.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
There is a screw and nut that holds the round trigger in place, it is important to make sure it is finger tight, over time the sucker comes loose and the nut may fall off and trigger during use.

I'm too much of a weakling to set it by hand Smile

It was also just a personal preference but I removed the chain altogether.

Higley's Traps A Monty is a great routine though there are many other ways to use the trap.

I aged one of my traps by tossing it in a bin of water with some gun blue and metal shavings for about two weeks, it looks great and still functions properly. As long as you can stand the smell of the gun blue (for those that have owned modern but aged Pakistan Darbies you know the smell).
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Ok, I got it working, and thank you all.

Xtreem was correct, the hardest part is sticking the hand in there the first time ;-)

Was surprised at how little you feel it after you get up the nerve though.

Mechanically, however, I noticed its a bit of a chore to get the free claw to swing completely open. It has to be centered directly inside the spring eyelet or only the other claw will stay open.

Again, appreciate everyones advice.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Both magician Shawn Dion and I do a special 'encore' with the trap: jerking the hand back out of the clamped jaws without losing any skin, let alone any fingers.
Shawn discovered the technique by experiment and showed it to me.
We've both been doing it to finish the routine ever since.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I don't know the trick routine, but the trap sounds like what we in New Zealand call a Ginn Trap, used for hunting the - in New Zealand - pest called a possum. Possums - imported into New Zealand over a hundred years ago - are a major destroyer of native trees, eating systematically the leaves of a particular tree in the forest until the tree will die. They then move on to kill off another tree. The jaws on a Ginn Trap usually have the pointy teeth swinging up, when triggered, to grasp the animal between the teeth. Its possible to take out one jaw at a time and reverse them so the flat [usually outer] side of the jaw faces inwards. Kinder on animals. But most animals trapped in these in New Zealand are going to get killed anyway. Ginn traps are not used legally for commercial trapping in New Zealand nowadays.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Setting Animal Traps (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL