The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Does this false count have a name? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I will try to keep this vague to avoid exposure.

Say I want to show 8 as 6. I fairly count 5. Then drop 3 as 1 on top.

Does this have a name? Or is just a generic false count? Please feel free to send me a PM if answering gives too much away. Thanks.

Bob
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
wespetty
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
139 Posts

Profile of wespetty
Hey Bob,

As far as I know of, that doesn't have a specific name (counting 5 straight and then basically ending with a triple that is supposed to appear to be just a single).

Something I thought about when reading your post was this:
A "cleaner" looking approach would be to draw off the first 4 fairly, then on the count of 5 take the triple (using a block push-off). This then leaves you with just one card on the count of 6.

The point is... it's easier to camoflage the triple in the middle of the count somewhere, rather than waiting until the "last" card. The last card being a triple is harder to make deceptive (due to thickness, lack of snap, and any minimal spreading that may occur). If the triple has already "traveled across" prior to getting to the last card, then that "6th" card looks really good since it actually IS a single.

I adopted this approach for a packet effect that I wanted to "clean up" a bit and it works great. If you need more info or an example of how I used it, just let me know.

Having said that...
I realize this suggestion may not coincide with (or COMPLETELY screw up) what you are trying to achieve with aN 8 as 6 count (i.e. changing the order of the cards dramatically, making the effect difficult/impossible).

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Cheers, Wes
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Good point about sending the extras across before the last count. I will have to see if I can reorder the cards to make it work with what comes before and after.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
Just Biddle Count it.
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
In direct answer to the question as asked, not that I know of.
By way of a suggestion, a buckle count might serve or if gripping the packet from above use the taking hand's thumb to pull all but one over...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
I'd call it a hold-back count, although I doubt that's an "official" name.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
There are a few things in "Counts cuts moves and subtelty" that sound similar to this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Does this false count have a name? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL