We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Just what are the rules? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
I'll respond tomorrow, to your above post. I'm too tired tonight. Maybe you haven't been around, long enough. When you don't know what an EFFECT IS, it's obvious that you're a Johnny Come Lately, The OP, and, perhaps YOU, should read TARBELL, so you know what you are talking about.

This is very interesting to me Mr. Oslund, because I know I've accidentally interchanged these words before. An effect is what the audience perceives. A trick is what the magician performs. So what the magician purchases from a supplier would either be a gimmick or the instructions on how to perform a trick. Am I right? Or am I wrong?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8265 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It could be a prop! (e.g.; a silk, or a set of "xxxing" balls, or a deck of gaffed cards or even an Okito Box! (Those are not gimmicks. A gimmick is an unseen device", needed to perform a trick. Yea, you are basically correct.

I get very impatient with "magicians" (note " " !) who don't know basic nomenclature, and, don't bother to learn.

I learned those terms, when I was 14.

Gimpy started this thread in 2008. I get tired of "educating" these so called magicians who don't know basic terms.

I'm 87. I'm considering canceling my "membership" (for want of a better term). I have better things to do!

It's apparent that YOU have read one of my posts before. I hope that you've benefited.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
It could be a prop! (e.g.; a silk, or a set of "xxxing" balls, or a deck of gaffed cards or even an Okito Box! (Those are not gimmicks. A gimmick is an unseen device", needed to perform a trick. Yea, you are basically correct.

I get very impatient with "magicians" (note " " !) who don't know basic nomenclature, and, don't bother to learn.

I learned those terms, when I was 14.

Gimpy started this thread in 2008. I get tired of "educating" these so called magicians who don't know basic terms.

I'm 87. I'm considering canceling my "membership" (for want of a better term). I have better things to do!

It's apparent that YOU have read one of my posts before. I hope that you've benefited.

Ah yes, props. Thanks for responding. I try to soak in your wisdom when I see it!

I truly hope that you wouldn't "cancel your membership" on account of "wanna-be" magicians like me. Your advice on this board is invaluable. We just need more appreciative souls for all that you have and continue to contribute to the community.

If I can ever return the favor, please let me know. Specifically, I work in computers and technology. If you ever need anything, I'm your guy.

Thanks for all you do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Just what are the rules? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL