The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much to charge? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

twiztedmusky
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of twiztedmusky
Next semester I talked to the president of SGA and told him about me being a magician and all that wonderful stuff, lol. Anyway, he asked how much I charge. I'm just wondering what other people in college charge to walk around and show guests tricks and what not. Thanks
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
That's probably the toughest question to ask someone else.
Ask yourself-
1) What do you think you're worth?
2) What will their budget allow?
3) What will the local market bear for your level of entertainment?
Answer these questions and I believe you'll
come up with an appropriate amount.
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Angus
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Angus
I'd have to agree with Michaels. It'll depend on your skills, the area the college is in, and how many others there may be that will do the job. I've seen some use the tactic of setting a higher price, but offer to do it for free for the first few times to prove they're worth it. Talk about self-confidence.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
That's an easy question.
The answer: It depends.

It depends on a whole lot of variables, not the least of which is for how many and for how long.

Best bet is to fend off answering that question until you've had a chance to explain what you do.

As for doing if for free to show that you're worth it, that's probably a really bad idea; once you establish a price -- zero, in this instance -- that's pretty much how they will look at you.

Just remember, you can always negotiate downward (to a lower price) but you can't negotiate upward (to a higher one).
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Peter has a good point.

I too am a college performer. Usually I don't do a lot of shows during the semesters, but during the breaks I try and book a few shows here and there. And like Peter said, it really depends on a whole lot of variables.

First ask yourself a few basic questions, start with the ones listed below and add as you see fit:

-What kind of magic do they want, stolling, stage, parlour...etc.?

-Who will the audience be? Kids? College Age? Seniors?

-What kind of environment will you have to work in?

-Will you be comfortabe in this environment?

-How much time will you be working the event?

-What props/preparation will you need?

-Will any of those props/prep cost you money?

-How good is your performance? Is it good enough to demand a high fee?

-How much are they willing to spend? Do they have the means to spend money on a performer?

-Is the show a charity event?

Next, try to come up with some sort of pricing scheme. Start with a base amount that you would like to make per show. Then according to all of the answers to the above questions add to or subtract from that amount an amount that reflects the situation.

For Exapmle: If you want to make $100 profit per show, and someone asks you to do a 2 hour walkaround charity show at a childrens hospital, and they specifically ask for you to do some balloon sculpture as well.

Take $100 plus the cost of trasportation to and from the hospital, food; plus the cost of balloons and other non-reusable props, like flash paper, hat tears, or givaway items; minus your charity discount that you determined earlier. That should give you a reasonable figure for what you should charge.
I usually add to this price a bit and then haggle down to the price I want.

Hope this gives you some idea's
jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
Maxim
View Profile
Regular user
London
113 Posts

Profile of Maxim
If I wanted to hire Bill Malone for a corporate event how much would he charge?
Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
Quote:
On 2003-04-19 18:30, Maxim wrote:

Good question, I was wondering while watching his DVDs ... I don´t think he is cheap, since he seems to be very well established and hired by all major companies ... Smile
cya

Neuromancer
nappa
View Profile
Regular user
new york
108 Posts

Profile of nappa
Bill Malone charges like $1700 an hour I think. I heard it on the magic radio show
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Quote:
On 2003-04-19 18:30, Maxim wrote:

Contact Malone's Magic Bar in Boca Raton Florida. I'm sure they'll tell you how to contact him or his agent. They would be the only ones to give you an accurate answer.
Albert Einstein
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
The questions that comes to mind in this "new to magic" thread are:

What is your experience level?
Are you professinal quality?
Should you be asking for money at all?
Are you going to do a bad job where a magician in the area would do a better job and not hurt magic like a non-professional passing themselves off as a professional would?

Lots of questions and only you can answer them.

Answer them honestly and you will answer your other questions too.

Good luck, have fun.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Twizted,
The book "The Magic of Michael Ammar" has several great essays on this subject. It's a very good book if you don't already have it.
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The company I work for a made a mistake a while back. They advertised for a Magician to perform for about 800 people, a 40 minute performance. It was for a fund raiser where there were quite a few acts (mostly musical). The powers that be decided that they would hire the most "expensive" Magician sight unseen. Figuring you get what you pay for! They flew this guy in, and he was terrible! Lesson learned (always get a demo)
Anyway, I agree, you can always negotiate down, don't go lower than you feel you are worth!
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
---------------------------------------------
Peter Marucci wrote:
Apr 16, 2003 5:44a
Just remember, you can always negotiate downward (to a lower price) but you can't negotiate upward (to a higher one).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Negotiating down- Sounds like a flea market.
Come up with a fair price taking into consideration all the factors recommended in the previous posts and be firm. If your price is fair there should seldom be a problem.
Albert Einstein
Bobm
View Profile
New user
burntwood, england
5 Posts

Profile of Bobm
The one place I do a lot of magic is down at the pub. I never get paid in money but in beer. Smile
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
Go to Visions online journal of magic and look in the left toolbar. Scott Guinn has a great article on this very question. He's also a host here.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Michaels writes: "Negotiating down- Sounds like a flea market."

And sometimes that's what it has to be!

After half a century in magic, I don't think I've ever come across anyone who hasn't negotiated a price or act at one time or another.

Having a fixed price and refusing to budge is a luxury few professionals can afford!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much to charge? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL