The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Jamie Schoolcraft coin help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jonhall19
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
68 Posts

Profile of jonhall19
I have owned one of Jamie's flipper coins for a while now (walking liberty). I unfortunately broke the rubber band the other day. I looked through all my magic stuff, and can not find the instructions, wooden thing, or rubber bands. I went to a local magic shop, and got rubber bands, but the guy who helped me had no clue how to put the band in, and neither do I. I have a brief idea, but I am wondering if someone can be of any assistance that knows what they are doing, as I would hate to ruin an expensive coin. Thanks in advance.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Contact Schoolcraft directly
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
jonhall19
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
68 Posts

Profile of jonhall19
I sent an email, with no response back. I know I can call, but I just figured they were incredibly busy. To be honest though, now that you mention it, I think I will just break down and call them.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Jon I will send you a pm with my email. I've done it a billion times if you can't get a hold of him
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Jon,

Yes take Joshua up on the offer, but also don't hesitate to call Schoolcraft. There will be very cool people to deal with on the other end of the line.
What would Wavy do?
jonhall19
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
68 Posts

Profile of jonhall19
Thanks to Joshua, I am doing my favorite coins across routine again Smile I think I will call and get a replacement set of instructions and bands just in case, because I think the bands they give you are far superior than the ones I am using.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Just use a toothpick or simlair object and put in the band...

Drag the tool and band around the groove inserting it as you go.

It not a fun job... but you get the hang of it after a while.

Shawn
Shawn.
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
John Hall,
If you can't get it send me the coin and I will put it on for you and send it back.
Dean Dill
jonhall19
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
68 Posts

Profile of jonhall19
Alright, so I replaced the band no problem, but now it does not open by gravity, but I have to almost flick it open. The shell is not bent, it just seems like the rubber band is a bit too tight (they are the ones I got from Jamie though). Is it supposed to take a few days to just stretch out or what?
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Profile of morgandollarman
The bands should fit without having to stretch them..i have never had any problems replacing bands.

You could try stretching the band a bit but you should not have to ..Have you fitted the coin right,there are no dents in it is there?
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
Make sure there is no adhesive residue interfering with the part that flips...

-A
jonhall19
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
68 Posts

Profile of jonhall19
No, there are no dents (Just to be sure, I rolled it on a table with a shell, then did the silk thing, like the instructions say). Still no luck. There is no sticky residue, it just snaps shut too easy it seems. Basically, the insert part does not fall out by gravity, because the band seems to be too tight (or something) so in order to get it to come out, I have to either catch it on my hand, or pry it with my finger. This is obviously a problem, but once open, it will stay open if it lays on a surface or my hand. However, upon lifting it up, it will snap closed. I am wondering if perhaps I got the wrong rubber bands sent to me?
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Profile of morgandollarman
[/quote] perhaps I got the wrong rubber bands sent to me?

Sounds like it to me if you have tried the above.
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Have you tried scrapping old glue from around ALL the edges (of the insert and where it was glued too)
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
I found that sometimes the old rubberband is still in the groove and needs to be scraped out with an XACTO knife. This solved my problem like you are describing. The new rubber band was poking out just the teeniest bit and sticking.
The real magic is family!
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
There are a number of different sized rubber bands. Sounds like you need some bigger ones. I'd ask Jamie, or if you really have a tough time, I could probably send you a few. I've got them in at least 3 or 4 sizes.
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
You need 3/16 light bands for the half dollar. It is a bit tricky to get the coin to drop open. It is a knack you need to get used to. Like I said, send it to me and I will fix it.
Dean
bronx
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of bronx
Just wanted to say, Dean, that your offer to help Jon really speaks to what a 'mensch' you are. We've never met, but I've heard from a number of other magicians that you are a man of great character (As opposed to just being a 'character.'

Also, wanted to say (and I realize this is somewhat off-topic) that I've been working up your Hanging 3CM and 3CM Coins Across routine and I am getting GREAT reactions. I strive for the same smooth handling that I've seen you display.

Please let me know if you have any other 3CM routines available for sale.

Warm regards,

ken
Starromeo
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Starromeo
Where can I find the 3CM Coin Across routine? I have the 3CM DVD, but cannot recall there is a coin across one.

Thx
mwmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of mwmagic
What do you mean by the 3CM DVD? Doug Brewer's Unexpected Visitor 2 has 2 routines with the 3CM/TT that are very good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Jamie Schoolcraft coin help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL