The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Kits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I have a cousin who is always interested in my magic and wants to learn. Magic kits are usually dull and kind of low quality.

What do you consider the best kit on the market along the lines of the Amazing Jonathan one with quality effects and cool effects, etc.?

Also, do they have any advanced magic kits that you recommend?
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Any of the Melissa and Doug sets are great. Here's one at Amazon, but you can see others by searching.

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Delux......7&sr=8-1
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
I'll assume that you're looking for magic sets for grown-ups and not kids. If it's kids, please let me know as I've been looking at some lately.

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Rather than be confined to the collection a kit offers, why not put together your own collection?

A great book... such as Mark Wilsons
A decent DVD... maybe an everyday object magic one...
One or two good beginner effects...

We have a beginner magic section - and I would be happy to work with you to put together something.

Let me know!
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Gill Rogers
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, AR, USA
61 Posts

Profile of Gill Rogers
I'm no authority, but I agree with mmreed on the idea of giving a book, dvd, and effect or two. I wish that I had started with Mark Wilson's--once you've seen it the choice seems obvious, but a neophyte will have no idea it exists.
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Only way you could go wrong with Mark Wilson's is if they already have it, and to be honest, I like keeping two copies handy. As for magic kits, I don't like them, but not for the reasons most people don't. I find you get much better value from a good book. More effects, and you make the props, if there are any. The quality of the "effects" in these kits tend to be just fine. It's all in the presentation. Though I think everyone here knows the appeal of spun brass. The number of "well known", "laymen known", and "easy" effects that I perform very successfully for my audiences is mind boggling. I love when a layman takes me aside and tells me that the only trick he knows is a crappy key card effect, right after I perform a key card effect.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I've looked at many magic boxes to buy relatives for Christmas or Birthday presents. Some I've bought I've not been happy with. Others had some good, some complicated/poor effects.

In the US I looked at loads and many were basically the same ten tricks or so. The only one's that looked different were these taht dealt with one section of magic more comprehensively. Have a look and tell me what you think. (And no I didn't buy them as I'd run out of weight allowance for the flight home by then and I couldn't get to look at the instructions.)

http://www.barrymitchell.com/products/in......Untangle

http://www.barrymitchell.com/products/in......_Unglove

http://www.barrymitchell.com/products/in......Unrolled

I like the idea of making my own kits and there are links elsewhere on the Magic Café that tell you the best suppliers and deals.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The Mark Jenest Kit is the best I have seen. Smile
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I'd go with Wilson's book and add in the 'common' items that are needed to perform them: a few silks, a nice hunk of magician's rope, a few nice coins, a deck of Bicycle pokers, etc. Steer your cousin to the self-workers first, to build some confidence.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
clownmagic
View Profile
New user
Fallsview, NY
41 Posts

Profile of clownmagic
I agree with mmreed and the others that suggest in building a kit.

So many people just buy effects and end up with a collection of "things". Give the gift of a good book with a video suppliment that teaches magic with common items. Maybe toss in one small inexpensive flashy effect.

mmreed talked me focusing on books when I placed my first order. We spent some time beforehand talking via emails and he flat out told me he wouldnt sell me what I wanted unless I got a certain volume of tarbell first. I thought he was nuts but now I see the wisdom in it. Books are where its at! I never did buy that effect I wanted long ago! hahah
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 16:49, clownmagic wrote:
I agree with mmreed and the others that suggest in building a kit.

So many people just buy effects and end up with a collection of "things". Give the gift of a good book with a video suppliment that teaches magic with common items. Maybe toss in one small inexpensive flashy effect.

mmreed talked me focusing on books when I placed my first order. We spent some time beforehand talking via emails and he flat out told me he wouldnt sell me what I wanted unless I got a certain volume of tarbell first. I thought he was nuts but now I see the wisdom in it. Books are where its at! I never did buy that effect I wanted long ago! hahah

Thanks for the kind words clownmagic. I do recall that conversation (grin). We do try to steer people in the right direction based on listening to what they like and prefer in magic. I knew you were the type to really appreciate the Tarbells.

If you reallllly want that gimmick you were looking for when we first met... I guessss I can order you one.... hahahah but I think your magic is way beyond that now and you can accomplish for free now Smile
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
If your cousin is on the younger side of 14, I'd consider throwing the Klutz book of magic in with the Mark Wilson assortment suggested by airship. The Klutz book comes with basic props and routines.

Ed
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Great choices guys thanks. LOL part of the reason for a kit is when I decided to get this girl I wanted one as well for fun. Not sure why just felt like being a kid Smile
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Kits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL