The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Looking for sword makers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Hello!

I have a friend in the business who are looking for a good blacksmith that makes swords for sword swallowing. The sword he is using now is a mess and he really need a new, good quality sword. Any websites, phonenumers, e-mails etc would be great!

Thanks!
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Budk.com has cheap good swords to use.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Check with your local SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) shire (they're worldwide). Members will know the best local sword sources.

http://www.sca.org/
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Who says it has to be a sword?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
True.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Hand forged swords made by artist blacksmiths will run you at least $500.00, MINIMUM. Longer, nicer and more ornate smithed swords will go up to 4 digits. My setup at this moment is not equipped to do blades longer than 10 inches, but small daggers I can do.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4445 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
SO Nips what you are saying is that ......

currenlty you cant go longer thanb 10 inches .... BUT you want to!

I have no problem with 4 or even 5 digits - as long as it starts 000x (x can be 1 - 9 - heck x can be 0 if anyone has one that cheep?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't think he has a website, but the greatest blacksmith in the history of everything is Jess Ro. I am not sure if I am spelling his last name right.
You may be able to get his writing address by contacting the Washington Renaissance Fantasy Faire. Here's their vendor page but I don't see him on it anymore: http://www.washingtonrenfaire.com/
I hope he's ok. He was like 430 years old. I haven't been out there in a couple years.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I bought an 18 inch stainless steel rapier from swordswords.com

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Thanks everyone! I know nothing about Sword Swallowing - but my friend wants a nice sword. I don't belivie that money is a big issue.

What I understand of the posts is that, more or less any sword (or swordlike) construction will work. So, the best recomendation is to go buy a bunch of swords and try them out. When you know what you want - have it ordered by a smith that know what he is doing...

IS that right?

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
The best are those with a straight, narrow blade and NO etching, inlay, etc.
The blades must be ground smooth and heavily nickel plated to keep the blade CLEAN.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I've bought from Budk as well. I have issues with their quality and some of the items that they sell. The quality is questionable at best. But for the price, you can't beat it. Just make sure the handles don't come off mid swallow.
As far as the items, their catalogue is filled with Nazi replicas, with the 'historic reproduction' caveat thrown in. Now, ok, there are Civil War renactors, ren faire renactors, but too many of my people were killed with the originals that these 'replicas' were modeled after. I don't need to see that crap on every page of the catalogue.
I believe in the First Ammendment. I also believe that I don't have to patronize everyone.
Sorry for my rant.
Will, what was that website you got your rapier?
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
http://www.swordsswords.com/

$30.00 plus shipping and is stainless so I don't worry about corrosion as much.

The handle is firmly attached so no worries but I have purchased swords elsewhere that the the handles were flimsy, so I know what you mean.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I got that same rapier from a pawn-shop here. It's a good deal. I like fight quality swords though. I don't know why, when am I ever going to be in a swordfight that isn't choreographed?
~Will Rogers
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Stainless is nice, as is nickel-plating. But neither is a necessity.

The swords I use, I bought at flea markets. Three of my swords, were previously used as weapons.

It's not too difficult to clean them up, change their shape a bit. You can do most of the work with a wire brush, a belt sander, and emery cloth.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
My old bayonet isn't plated or anything. I just make darn sure that it is clean and dry and free of rust. (granted there was still pitting on the blade, but I polished most of it out with a 3M scotchbrite pad on an air grinder.

The other one I tried trimming up with my plasma cutter, the problem is that I'm just not that great at free hand cutting. (so there's a couple of parts that aren't that straight.)

I would just ask around gunshows, sometimes you can get a really good deal on something that has been dinged up because you are going to wind up grinding it down anyways. (it works for me)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Does nickel plating ever chip?
I had a cheap sword that started to chip but I do not know if it was plated or
painted.
~Will Rogers
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5111 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If I recall correctly, nickel plating is one of the steps in chrome plating. Nickel is softer. It's great for stopping corrosion. WIll it chip? Probably. Most plating will chip, under the right circumstances.

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Harley, it goes like this: raw steel/thin copper plating/nickel/chromium. All plating will eventually chip, flake or peel in good time. Corrosion resistance is one of the toughest challenges for keeping steel alive. Iron in it's natural state is actually FeO, or oxides of iron. When mankind crushes ore, heats it and adds other elements, we make steel. It is a very unnatural state for these elements to be in, so it will always naturally want to revert to its chemical base, oxides of iron (rust). Paint, waxes, oils, plating and other methods of metal protection serve only to prolong the inevitable. The only way to win the battle is use of 300 and 400 series steels. Most cheap BudK swords and knives are mass produced in China using 400 grade steel. But even stainless has its weakness. IT can "catch" rust from other steels it comes into contact with. When using non-stainless and non-plated swords for swallowing, care of the swords steel is imperative. The stomach acids wreak havoc on the surface of steel. I've seen metals rust almost instantly after a swallowing. The content of stomach acids are similar to industrial chemicals used for etching steel.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

By the way, to Arkadia... tell your friend he need not look for a blacksmith. To be more specific he would need to look for a sword smith. Blacksmiths are generally jack-of-all-trade types. We don't specialize too much in anything, we just have an innate knowledge of all things metal. A blacksmith will make nails, hooks, furniture, candleholders, cutlery, horseshoes, tools, hammers, and sculptures. The sword makers of history only forged the blade. Then the sword would be taken to another craftsman who would make the hilt. Another would make the guard. Then the scabbard would be made and so on. These craftspeople lived in towns and villages miles away from eachother. A sword from start to finish could take months, almost years even. Or you could buy a cheap made-in-China CNC cut mass produced sword that took 5 hours to make from start to finish.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Looking for sword makers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL