The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Written Elevator Pitch (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Let's get done to brass tacks. What 75 words would you use to sell you and your show to a potential client who is looking for entertainment?

Here is mine...

Nicholas J. Johnson is a comedian who uses sleight of hand, card sharking, pick pocketing and psychological influence to recreate the world of the professional con artist. He is also very, very funny.

Whether mingling with 20 guests at a private party or performing his comedy con show for 500 guests at a major corporate function, this con man will break the ice, have audiences in stitches and make your event remembered for years to come.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hire me. I got debts!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
OK, I'll bite on this one, here's mine

"Do you like to spend good money on a trade or consumer show booth and just watch the people walk by? If so I can't help you. But if you want to stop and draw in potential customers so your sales staff can work with them, I'm Peter "Professor Paddy" Lansing a top Trade show entertainer.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Nice one Paddy - 19 words to a spare as well!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Nicholas,

"Benefits! Benefits! Benefits!" THAT is what prospective buyers/listeners want to hear! You know my stance on this buddy; "How will YOU generate VALUE for the prospective buying relationship?"

Answer THAT, and you will have your real “Positioning Statement”.

Hope that helps brother.

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (did you get my email) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I always thought an elevator pitch is in response to "What do you do?"

Mine is (more or less)
"I am a ventriloquist who specializes in family venues. That means no blue material or off colour jokes, just good clean fun for everyone. That means
if you hire me, you can breathe easy knowing you have hired a professional family entertainer."
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
YES, and 'what you do' is provide VALUE.

Remember, people buy SOLUTIONS, not "entertainment". Sure, sometimes 'entertainment' is a solution but generating VALUE and Benefits is our real job... we just "use" entertainment to deliver the value and benefits our buying relationships want need, desire and most importantly DESERVE and are willing to pay for! (Oh... work!)

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (understand my JOB, and that is why work is plentiful) in Reno
<><
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'd disagree ever so slightly with you Dean.

They buy entertainment AS a solution.

While we need to explain the benefits, we also need to explain the product and it's features.

For example, here is my pitch minus the product information

Nicholas J. Johnson...is very, very funny. He will break the ice, have audiences in stitches and make your event remembered for years to come.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Okey Dokey...

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-10-11 21:59, Neale Bacon wrote:
I always thought an elevator pitch is in response to "What do you do?"

Mine is (more or less)
"I am a ventriloquist who specializes in family venues. That means no blue material or off colour jokes, just good clean fun for everyone. That means
if you hire me, you can breathe easy knowing you have hired a professional family entertainer."

I'm with you Neal... That's what I also consider an elevator pitch. My response is:

"I make people laugh, make them think, and create memories that last most people an entire life-time."

Of course the object of that one simple sentence is designed to get people to ask the next logical question... "So how do you do that?"

That's an invitation to tell them more about what I have to offer and the benefits of it as well. Even if I have to get off on their floor and chat outside the elevator... Smile

Lyndel
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I still believe that any and every single piece of marketing you do needs to express what you do, the features and backs it up with powerful benefits that ultimately show the prospect the solutions you create. THIS is what effetcive marketing does for you.

Every single consumer goes out there to buy a product or service because there is a direct need or problem they are looking to find a solution for. If I just tell them the features, then I am not explaining enough to them how these features best solves their needs.

Now I certainly understand the need to tell people who you are and what you do. But part of what you do is also the solutions you directly provide to them that makes you different from everyone else.

Just my 2 cents.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Thanks Lyndel. I saw mine as identifying what I do and how it benefits the customer, and sometimes it is a conversation starter to tell them more.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hm. Kyle's got me rethinking this thread as an exercise:

<just thinking out loud here -- Mods, relocate if needed, huh?>

"I make everyday worries disappear...temporarily...using the Art of Magic to create wonder, amazement, and FUN!"
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Maybe too many "I" statements. How about talking about "them."

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
That's not what an elevator speech is... It is a response to the question, "what do you do?"

I am sure however that the word "you" could be worked into your own E.S.

Lyndel
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Right, but my point here is that "what I do" is provide solutions for my clients. If that is the case, then I need to define those soltions and benefits. Just my 2 cents is all.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think it's great to be able to tell others about what you do.

However, sometimes it's even better to spend much more time on them, and getting to know them. Become genuinely interested in them. Let them do most of the talking... you just ask questions.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Oops... Hey Kyle,

You better stop using that common sense stuff. People don’t like it when you tell the truth. You are much better off tellin’ what they WANT to hear instead of what actually works to get improved results. (Hehehehehehe!)

magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Hehehe Thanks Dean. Forgive me for thinking too much. I guess I should go back and lay down on my couch of laziness. lol

Listening is indeed one of those things we all do not often times do enough of. If you really want to know how to best meet the needs of any prospect or client, spend more time listening to them then selling to them. You may be surprised.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
When I am at events or out and about when people ask me what I do for a living, I simply say with a boyish grin.... I get chained up ---
THIS WINS them over IMMEDIATELY....
They reply usually with:
what?
HU?
YOU DO? (and moves in closer for more details -

I reply back, Yes, I get chained up for a living. I am an escape artist and I perform show for corporate and social functions... Kinda like Houdini ......

THIS IS A WINNER for me every time....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Written Elevator Pitch (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL