The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Folding a clothesline of silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I recently acquired a 24 foot line of silks. I believe this is a Dove Lite product. The silks are sewn along one edge to a ribbon and look like a laundry line when displayed.

What is the best way to fold this item? Are there different ways of loading it for different productions?

Is there an ex-marketing professor in the house?

Thanks,
Jay The Magician
jaythemagician.com
A.K.A. Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jay,

If they are from DoveLite, each silk has a crease running from the ribbon to the bottom of the silk. First stack the silks after folding them in half along that crease. (This is probably facing the ribbon side to the ribbon side.) If they are DoveLite's, you should also have a rubber tipped clip to clip to the center of the silk at the ribbon end. (Don't lose that clip. We can't get any more.)

Now you have choices based upon your load chamber. If yours are the larger ones (18" or 24" silks) I fold them again the long way with the black side out. Now they should not flash in the load chamber. I tie a knot (in lectures I call it my idiot knot) in the tip of the ribbon at the hot pink end. That way I know that hot pink will be the first color out and that when I produce the black silk, grab the ribbon.

Beyond that, when loading the load chamber, hold the prop by the top (ribbon side) and drop the bottom into the load chamber. Zig-zag (pleat) down and leave the ribbon (with the idiot knot) on top. You are ready for show time! (Don't forget to remove the clip before the show. I have!)

Enjoy! It is very rare that I do not use mine in all stage shows. It is an excellent way to make use of the whole stage and it will fit in a jacket pocket! And for a guy that loves body loads and steals, what a cover!

The Dovelite Line of Silks comes in four sizes. The most popular is the 18" size and will fill a 36' wide stage (most school stages). The 24" size will fill a 48' to 60' stage. (Often I send them down the isle of the theater instead to give more audience members a chance to see it up close.) The 12" size is the only size Tannen's use to carry and not an impractical size. Most magicians get the 18" size because there is so little difference in the price and over twice the surface area produced. The 9" size is really for indoor use in a house (like birthday parties) where space is restricted to about 12-15 feet. Loading the 9" and 12" size is hardly a problem. If a deck of cards will fit, they will fit. Just load with the ribbon edge on top.

I like to use them in nursing home shows too because the audience can actually pass the Line of Silks around the room and back to you. It allows them to participate. In wheel chairs, it simply works out better than coming up front. (The next time you are there, someone will ask you, "Do you remember that I helped you do magic last time?")

It puts the "Show" in a magic show.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Thanks Bob,
Yes I do have the clip.
I am at the office and don't have the prop @ hand. Will look at it tonight and try out your instructions.

I was thinking of it as a finale' to a fountain. do it as a body steal, not load it into the fountain. Any thoughts? I also have used the idea of sending the assistant down the center aisle when there is a well behaved, seated, chaparoned, audience. The kids have a tendency to try and grab things.

Jay The Magician
Formerly Bruce J. Langrock
http://www.jaythemagician.com
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you are wearing a coat, the 18" will actually fit into the outside breast pocket. (I like getting it from a vest better. Use a dove pocket to keep it under the vest at about the top of the shirt pocket level.) Hair pin the ribbon where you can get it without looking.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Bob's silks are great.

We have the 18" line of silks and have used it as a b**y l**d as well as from our Silk Fontain to Dove using the line of silks instead of a dove for the load.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Rob,

I saw a video of your Line of Silks production and loved it. They seemed to pop out forever. Great stagemanship!

Is it still available for public viewing?

Rob is the Canadian source for a full line of quality silk products. (Quick change too!)

Bob Sanders
MAgic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Bob,

The video of the line of silk production is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-WaDeV4qs

Canadians may also be interested in our Canadian Mismade Flag routine that we now offer as well.

Rob
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Bob,
Thanks again for the info.

Rob,
Is it ok if I use your idea for the line from fountain instead of the dove.

There are pros & cons to using either one:
The Dove is a living thing that requires care and maintenance. He can't be just thrown into a case and left in the car when you go to lunch. The dove does not require much pre-show prep. Stick 'em in his harness right before you go on.

The Line Of silks does not need the kind of maintenance a dove has. No food bills, no cage cleaning. Silks are also a lot quieter than doves.

HOWEVER: it can be a major pain in the *** to fold all those D*** silks!!!
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Jay,

Go ahead. If you're looking for a silk fountain to dove to use, let me know. Pat also makes and sells those. Her's is designed to allow you to put the l**d in after folding up the silk fountain and then the whole unit can be prepped at home and tansported to the show. It will hold the 18" line of silks.

You're right about the prep work. It does take some time, but it sures play nice on stage.

All the best,

Rob
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Gentlemen,

Hint for reset when you are working alone: Use clothes pins!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Folding a clothesline of silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL