The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The 3 Ball Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Some years ago, I was talking to David Roth about this, after his lecture, and I asked him if the balls he was selling had anything special about them. His reply was.. "Oh yeah. It won't work with any other balls...." Which I took with a pinch of salt at the time, but - it IS easier to work with silicone balls. It's something I've had a go at over the years, but never been able to fool myself.. Aaaaahhh.. one day.. It's a great effect, I think. And - Roth's version doesn't use a net.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I am thoroughly enjoying the Scarne Classic Ball routine. I used to do the Roth handling, but like several others, there was that moment...My patter line is inspired by Steve Draun's marble trick.
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
Anyone know a good source to buy the silicone balls for this routine?
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I bought a pack of rubber balls from the dollar store. They are about 1 inch in diameter and work great.
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
I love the three ball trick, so much so that I'm including my version of it on my next DVD, which should come out any day now

I have not made any major advances on the work of Vernon, Marlo and Roth but I wanted it included to help pass on this unique concept

I've changed the handling of the Marlo/Roth steal, it isn't any better but I find it more comfortable and it has a small advantage that you can use three different coloured balls or even two balls and say a borrowed ring
It doesn't overcome the 'moment' but as the 'moment' takes place when you're balancing a ball on your fist it tends to fly by. Also organicmagician is spot on that it happens at a very forgiving moment in the routine

I don't use silicone balls, I use leather but not the Rogers/Ammar ones as they are a little too irregular, so I use the European ones, which are more perfect rounds but less inclined to run away when tabled

Don't use a net and have substituted wand vanishes for the HCP

The classic finish seem to play better for magicians than lay-folk so I generally end by either reproducing the balls under cups ready for cups and balls or adding in a 2 ITH 1 ITP sequence to round it off as Peter favours

Michael mentions neutral and Wow responses, I find more that you get an appreciative response, the audience being aware that something artistic has taken place' so it fits well between harder hitting items

My thanks to Danny for sharing his work and to dcjames for his research

A great routine for Jazz and for keeping yourself on your toes

James
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2008-10-13 14:28, Natanel wrote:
Eric Henning told me he likes to do the effect impromptu, while strolling at banquets with grapes or nuts or whatever happens to be at hand. I think this is a great idea.

Me too.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
The fact that this trick just needs 3 small objects and 2 hands it appeals to me. It packs small and could be done impromptu with small objects around. I have kind off look around and tried thing out but nothing really has developed to much. I did get asked to do some magic of the cuff and I did a version of this with sugar cubes. Also at the Blackpool magic I brought a set of monkey fist ball and sitting in the bar I was playing about with the 3 ball trick. 2 chaps setting next to me showed interest and we spoke about and it dose seem that its a trick that has a lot possibly but finding what works for the individual is important. I always plan to re visit it and do some more exploring and the past post may help.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I always preferred the 2 in the hand 1 in the pocket routine. Never could master the pop up move. I learned a great routine with a double climix using dice 50 years ago. The final production of the big die was donw with a move (remember 50 years ago) tht is now called a "shuttle pass."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I've played with this, and taken it out a couple of times.

For me the routine was too long, so I cut it right down to just produce, travel across once, travel from the pocket once, and final load.

Spectator reactions were stronger than expected on the production. They found the travel across magical, they appreciated the bit from the pocket. And of course the final load blows them away as it catches them completely off guard.

It is quite nice to do walking around, using a spectators hands as the net. It will hold their attention as the plot develops too. It doesn't take much pocket space, and has no reset.

For me it's the routine I pack if for some reason I can't take my sponge balls.

TwistedAce, how did it go for you?
Paul
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Thank you all very much.

After my last post on this topic. I looked throw my note book to see if I could find out were I got to and what had developed. Basicly I had researched and looked in to many things most of which were mentioned in the pass post. I dint make any purchase or follow any thing up just watched you tube and worked on moves. I then went on to learn fibre optics something complete different. However scrowled on my note about the 3 balls is look at Dai Verons climax to dice routine which can be found on the first fooler doolers DVD. It uses dice but could use balls. But with dice it has a being middle and end also can lead or end other dice tricks. It something I wanted to learn but dint have the right dice but I know do. Early attempts looked good in the mirror so ill carry on working this. I don't if this helps you guys. However this post has helped me to find a routine at a time I was looking for something to add to my walk round.

Cheers agaian.
Enjoy your magic,

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I forgot to mention it was also Pete Biro that shock something in my head about the mentioned routine. So a big thanks to Pete.
Enjoy your magic,

martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Quote:
On 2009-05-07 05:30, james prince wrote:
I love the three ball trick, so much so that I'm including my version of it on my next DVD, which should come out any day now

I have not made any major advances on the work of Vernon, Marlo and Roth but I wanted it included to help pass on this unique concept

I've changed the handling of the Marlo/Roth steal, it isn't any better but I find it more comfortable and it has a small advantage that you can use three different coloured balls or even two balls and say a borrowed ring
It doesn't overcome the 'moment' but as the 'moment' takes place when you're balancing a ball on your fist it tends to fly by. Also organicmagician is spot on that it happens at a very forgiving moment in the routine

I don't use silicone balls, I use leather but not the Rogers/Ammar ones as they are a little too irregular, so I use the European ones, which are more perfect rounds but less inclined to run away when tabled

Don't use a net and have substituted wand vanishes for the HCP

The classic finish seem to play better for magicians than lay-folk so I generally end by either reproducing the balls under cups ready for cups and balls or adding in a 2 ITH 1 ITP sequence to round it off as Peter favours

Michael mentions neutral and Wow responses, I find more that you get an appreciative response, the audience being aware that something artistic has taken place' so it fits well between harder hitting items

My thanks to Danny for sharing his work and to dcjames for his research

A great routine for Jazz and for keeping yourself on your toes

James

I guess James that this is the final version of the ball trick that you showed me all those years ago(?)

I can certainly agree with James when he says that there are certain effects that aren't real stunners but are artistically/theatrically pleasing for 'lay' people.

So often James just knocks people so hard onto the floor with his stunning effects that occasionally he needs to break the pace and to give them a breather with something that's (whilst still mind-blowing...but less so?) artistically pleasing.
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
How do you do the pop up move :

- 3rd ball held between 1st and 3rd finger ? Johnh Roger style

- 3rd ball thumb clipped ? Scott Alexander style

- 3rd ball finger palmed by 3rd and 4th fingers ? David Roth style

- else ?

Also the hand holding the 3rd final ball will travel down to up to deposit it on the fist ?
or other direction ?

playing with the different options but not yet satisfied (angles , natural ..)

looking fw to reading you
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I use the pop-up with many objects including coffee creamers and other "non-ball" impromptu items,

So, I prefer a pseudo action with the third object pre-idled/ditched and only pretended to be carried to the pop-up hand.
That way, the passing hand can be shown completely empty after the fake-place as an acquitment.
No palming necessary.

This means you can also use the pop-up on the second ball instead of the third if desired.

Image three balls on the table. One is picked up by the left fingers and two by the right fingers.
The left hand forms a fist and does a gobbling action of the ball.
The right hand places one ball on the left fist to be gobble up and shows one ball remaining in the right hand.
This last ball is placed on the left fist and gobbled with the right hand now shown empty because it empty
to convince there are now three balls in the left hand.

Later on there are two ball in the left hand and the third produced elsewhere by the right hand.
By doing the pop-up fake place on the second ball, the eagle eyes on the right hand for the last placement are even more astonished.

Of course, you have to know Arming or Critch sleights to idle the ball, but Lapping can work also.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
I was wondering if it s true magic until the end Smile

"Of course, you have to know Arming or Critch sleights to idle the ball, but Lapping can work also." ;"P

thanks for the tips

Quote:
On May 12, 2022, funsway wrote:
I use the pop-up with many objects including coffee creamers and other "non-ball" impromptu items,

So, I prefer a pseudo action with the third object pre-idled/ditched and only pretended to be carried to the pop-up hand.
That way, the passing hand can be shown completely empty after the fake-place as an acquitment.
No palming necessary.

This means you can also use the pop-up on the second ball instead of the third if desired.

Image three balls on the table. One is picked up by the left fingers and two by the right fingers.
The left hand forms a fist and does a gobbling action of the ball.
The right hand places one ball on the left fist to be gobble up and shows one ball remaining in the right hand.
This last ball is placed on the left fist and gobbled with the right hand now shown empty because it empty
to convince there are now three balls in the left hand.

Later on there are two ball in the left hand and the third produced elsewhere by the right hand.
By doing the pop-up fake place on the second ball, the eagle eyes on the right hand for the last placement are even more astonished.

Of course, you have to know Arming or Critch sleights to idle the ball, but Lapping can work also.
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
I do the Roth routine, standing, with small superballs, and set them down on a silk or napkin (so they won't roll away). This makes the trick visible to a group. Reactions are often strong. The superballs have enough friction to facilitate the "double steal", making the routine easier to manage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The 3 Ball Trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL