The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Inflating by mouth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I've seen magicians inflate 260s by mouth a lot. I even do it myself. I noticed some performers were against it. What do you think?
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Mouth inflate always...
People think of it as a skill, the ones that don't hand them a balloon and get respect.

The air is warm when I mouth inflate which make the balloon less brittle to work with.

IMHO only balloon workers think mouth blowing is disgusting .... never in 20 years had a parent refuse a balloon because it is unsanitary. However I do think sucking on a balloon to create a bubble is gross. Seen the saliva drip off a balloon before .....eeeeewwwww!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Have to agree! I've seen balloon workers suck a bubble into a tip. That is disgusting. Never would I do that, but I always mouth inflate. My wife, that's a different story..she uses the pump for inflation. Noooo way she could ever mouth inflate. 260s, and even 160s aren't much of a problem after almost 14 years of ballooning.

Steve
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
While I can inflate by mouth, I prefer a pump. It's easier to tell jokes and funny stories if your mouth isn't full of balloon. Besides, I hit the wall one time and inflated my saliva glands. It was quite painful and put me out of commission for several days. That was when I called T. Myers...

Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
After you inflated your saliva glands, did you make any funny shapes with them?
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Cool Pavlovian Dogs!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I really like the exerise it gives to your stomach by blowing them up by mouth.
JC Johns
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD, USA
133 Posts

Profile of JC Johns
I just picked up my first balloons last week and am enjoying making some basic creations.

At the shop I went to, the guy recommended I use a pump for two reasons. First, he said there may be some concern the mylar in the balloons may not be good for your health (however he said he blew balloons by mouth for 20 years and no bad effects) and second, he thinks if you put balloons in your mouth then kids might imitate you and possibly stick balloons in their mouth.

Any thoughts on these reasons for using a pump?

As far as myself, I picked up a $6 pump, but will also practice blowing balloons by mouth.
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Wow... a mouth vs. pump debate?

This is such an interesting topic.

I can't believe it's never been discussed here before.

(Sorry... I'm a professional wise guy.)
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Kids will stick balloons in their mouth whether or not they see you do it or not. Believe me. Also, there's no "mylar" inside a latex balloon. The stuff you're talking about is the moisture-absorbent powder inside. Just don't "burp" the balloon while the nozzle is still in your mouth. Been mouth inflating for about 13 years now with no (cough-cough) problems.

Steve
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2008-10-15 20:21, Chad wrote:

No but they made crackling noises in my ears. It was very uncomfortable.
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Quote:
On 2008-10-15 20:21, Chad wrote:

"No... unless round is funny."
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Only One...A Chipmunk.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-10-17 13:23, Stevethomas wrote:
Kids will stick balloons in their mouth whether or not they see you do it or not. Believe me. Also, there's no "mylar" inside a latex balloon. The stuff you're talking about is the moisture-absorbent powder inside. Just don't "burp" the balloon while the nozzle is still in your mouth. Been mouth inflating for about 13 years now with no (cough-cough) problems.

Steve

I agree.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
755 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I might be way off base.. but the people I have met that are set against mouth inflating (and boy do they have reasons) One guy even told me I shouldn't use red or pink cause a paramedic cant see that color if it gets lodged into a kids throat..

anyway I find that thoes who are so dogmatically against it.. CANT DO IT...

besides its a great way to earn a extra 50 at the bar...

sell balloons for $1 and tell em the first guy who can inflate it faster gets a crisp 100...

(Mark could do this, but unless you mouth inflate ALOT I wouldnt risk the $100)

WOW!! that would really get some of them riled up LOL
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2334 Posts

Profile of todsky
I used to inflate only by mouth, but I find that when I do dozens of balloons in a row, my head hurts a bit, and an artery on my head actually expands a bit, so instead of blowing my brains out, I now do most of my balloons by pump. Usually I do the first one or two by mouth, just to show them that I can, and then the rest by pump. Most of my balloon work is done after the magic show at birthday parties.

However, if I am doing a particularly complex or delicate sculpture, then I agree it's better blown up with the warm air from your mouth because it's more pliable that way.

-Todd
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
755 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Just for show... I blow up a green and red at the same time to make a rose..
it freaks people out that I can actually blow up 2 at a time

once you can blow up 1 it only takes a little practice to blow up 2 then you can easily get to inflating 160's

Lots of fun
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

I really hate balloon myths:

Your eyes will pop out from blowing up balloons.
Animals Die from Balloons.
Kids Choke on balloons.
Pink and red blend in.
Environmentalist who know it all.

I have been on a search for ONE case of a child harmed by a 260 balloon animal. Sorry guys not to be found. It is an urban myth. I own the 60 page Consumer Protection Agency document on balloon injuries. Poured over it and this what I found:

Nothing related to balloon modeling!!!

Injuries are related to ROUND BALLOONS. Here are some:
Kids jumping off of bunk beds and using balloons to break their fall.
Choking from the string on a balloon. Mainly Mylar balloons, you know the safe ones...
Choking on LARGE pieces of balloon. Modeling balloons when broken are not more dangerous than limp linguine.

The other products are Super Elastic Bubble Plastic, and anything with an inflated rubber item. Frog Tongues?

Though balloons have been found inside dead animals it has never been a cause of death. Just an interesting item like coins and pokeman figures.

Pink and red balloon are no more invisible than other balloons. CLEAR BALLOON wet become invisible. Again large balloon pieces.

I had several Environmentalist take me to task... what a joke, they don't even know what balloons are made of!!! they think they are plastic. Balloons are a GREEN product. they are made from trees and gathered like maple syrup. they are bio degradable and do no harm to birds, animals or humans.

You would think if balloons were so incredibly dangerous there would be a recall or at least one lawsuit against balloon manufacturers. Considering there is on less than half a dozen manufacturers world wide.

You want more on this: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=181
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
JC Johns
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD, USA
133 Posts

Profile of JC Johns
I just blew up my first balloon by mouth yesterday (only been twisting for a couple weeks) and am happy to say no ill side effects felt yet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Inflating by mouth (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL