The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic Drawing Board Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I have recently purchased a Magic Drawing Board (large size) and I am very excited but I have a few questions about my new board. I'm just not sure if these things are normal, abnormal or will get better as the prop gets broken in.

The tension on the mouth mechanism is very tight. It takes a good deal of pressure to operate - which isn't too bad except that it is hard to prevent the mouth from snapping back up which is very loud as it slams into the top of the guide (this is the worst of the issues as it is really loud). In addition to the slamming as the mouth closes, the mouth mechanism is rather noisy as it slides up and down. Is this normal?

The paper doesn't lie flat around the eyes and as such it makes shadows. The paper around the mouth protrudes so unless I quickly draw a mouth to cover the mouth area it is very obvious that there is a secret mechanism. Basically, the drawing surface doesn't lie flat which seems to cause these issues. Again, is this normal?

Thanks!
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I would send Steve Axtell and email or private message through the Café. He's a great person to deal with and will give you the information that you need to know.

steve@axtell.com

jeff
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I would say these are both normal issues. Of course not seeing your specific one I cant say if these are extreme. The mouth going up fast is because it's new. It will definitely loosen with time. The noise issue, I can still hear mine moving up and down however that is solely because it is right beside me. Play whatever track or vent and ask someone where the audience will be if they hear anything.

The protruding mouth is not noticeable to anyone. I actually had the mouth slip behind once. I thought the mouth was moving but no one else saw it. I looked over and nothing moving, now I check it before every show.

Like smartini said ask Steve and he will tell you if every thing is as it should be.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ryan is correct, the mouth mechanism will loosen up with use. If you keep some constant tension on it, and don't allow it to snap back all the way in the closed position, noise should not be an issue. I personally like it tight because it feels easier to opperate to me.

As for the other problem, it is hard to diagnose without seeing it. There is always a little difference where the moving parts are. It should be minimal, but my definiton of minimal may be different that yours. You have the stage sized board, and in most stage situations I have never found it to be a problem.

Regan
Mister Mystery
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure my new prop was operating as it should before too much time passed since I received it. I did email the customer service email address over two weeks ago but I never received a response.

It appears to be a brilliant product and I'm not trying to be critical. I just want to check with other MDB owners to make sure I just didn't get a quirky unit.
Clever stuff goes here!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
You're absolutely doing the right thing by checking. I advise you to do as Jeff suggested and contact Steve Axtell. I am unsure as to why you have not recieved an answer to your email, but rest assured that Steve provides excellent customer service. Some of the best I have ever seen. He stands behind his products too! I'll be surprised if he doesn't chime in here amnd give you some answers before it's all said and done. If he doesn't, you could send him a personal message here at The Magic Café.

Good luck!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Sounds like you bought a well used board.

Or one that slipped through QC.

Send it to Axtell and have it rebuilt.

I've had mine rebuilt several times.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In my opinion, there were differences between the original drawing board, and the pro drawing board made available later on. I've had both.

Did you buy a pro model right from Steve? Or did you get yours used from someone (maybe an older model)?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I bought it new from Axtell a couple weeks ago.
Clever stuff goes here!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I once bought a used "Magic Drawing Board" from a dealer once. Turns out it was NOT the "Pro-Magic Drawing Board" and the dealer was nice enough to let me return it. I bought both the large and the small versions from Axtell himself. Can't be happier.

Steve
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

You can always trade up to the Remote Controlled Drawing Board...this one is just too much fun!!

jeff
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I would love the remote version, but my wife would likely divorce me if I purchased it.
Clever stuff goes here!
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I have both the large and the small boards. I find that the issue with the paper lying flat/ shadows etc. is almost non existent on the smaller board.

I actually bought the smaller board because it would be easier to transport and use in birthdays. However, for the reasons above I now use the smaller board exclusively.

Cheers

Billy James
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
There is always some friction noise on the mouth, but you don't want to let it "go" so it snaps shut. Always keep control of the lever with your thumb pressure. You'll get it.

The eye gap should be minimal. If you email me I'll discuss it more with you. steve@axtell.com

There is always some eye gap which is only noticeable before and after the drawing when the board is "blank". To maximize the flatness.... press the center of the board between the eyes with your thumb. Press it forward and flaten it out. Then once you've drawing the eye circles you can let go because the marker covers it.

Having said that the gap should still be minimal not gaping. If its gaping we would like to fix that for ya.

We have something new coming for the Magic Drawing Board! You can add it to your existing large MDB!

Check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9lQz0hTIME
Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I told you! I'm not surprised at all.
Mister Mystery
BScott8870
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
230 Posts

Profile of BScott8870
OMG - LOVE THE POP OUT HANDS AND BANNER. It says available now. So I am ordering this ASAP!

Just a piece of advice to new Magic Board users. Don't leave the board in your car for any length of time in the hot summer. I forgot it out there for 30 minutes and the mechanisms glue had frozen. I had to take it apart and gently detach the glue. Works great now, but scared me for about 30 minutes while I was working on it.
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
We are waiting on the banners to come in but yeah. We'll be ready to ship them soon.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Steve,

OMG don't you have enough of my money already!! Seriously, what are the different options that are available? Are they on your site? Can't wait...off to check now. This is just brilliant!!

jeff
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I can't find any banners or pop out hands. Where can we see 'em?
Mister Mystery
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Check the link above...I didn't see anything at the Axtell site either.

jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic Drawing Board Questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL