The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » I have a choice to make :( (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Hey Guys! I am making my transition from simple close up table magic to stand up magician. None of the effects I perform use a table, But I'm wondering if I should still use a table on the stage anyway. I don't really need a ditch box unless I just put a magician's top hat on it and make it play into the show. Everything I do works out of the pockets. I keep my coins, cards, ropes, sponges etc. in my pockets. So should I still have some sort of a table anyway on the stage? I don't want to interupt the show focus by getting it in the way but I know it may serve me some well even if I just keep a deck of cards and a pen on it. Any suggestions?
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
Go with your gut. No table.

Me? I'm loaded down with a lot of tables, props, etc. But I would get rid of any piece I don't use or doesn't absolutely have to be there because it adds to the show.

Keith
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Based on what you have said, I'd say, forget the table. It would just be in the way. I watched Daryl do a 1 hr show with no table. It isn't new.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
http://nnmagic.com/magicitems/stagemagicpage_al.htm
Maybe the cane to table works for you.
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2008-10-16 23:33, Father Photius wrote:
Based on what you have said, I'd say, forget the table. It would just be in the way. I watched Daryl do a 1 hr show with no table. It isn't new.

I agree too. If you can manage out of the pockets, then a table will not serve any purpose. But if you want to add an extra prop or two (something that cannot fit inside a pocket) then a table would be useful.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Jimmy Talksalot has a book on busking that talks about his act. He works without a table all the time and cleans up.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
What about having a routine looking the same with and without table but taking advantage of both situations.
I have a one coin routine which looks exactly the same but is technically very different whether I do it sittting at a diner table (using lapping) or standing in a coktail (using sleeving).
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » I have a choice to make :( (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL