The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Gerry Griffin's OOTW (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
44 Posts

Profile of kent
Hi all,

I have the "Complete Card Magic by Gerry Griffin" DVD set, and while very good, it doesn't seem to have credits for any of the tricks.

In particular, vol#2 has an effect called "Use Your Powers For Good", which is OOTW from a shuffled deck. Does anyone know who's handling this is? I've been thinking about getting the U.F. Grant "Nu-Way OOTW", but am thinking maybe this is the same
(impromptu, from a shuffled deck).

Any info on the lineage of Gerry's handling would be appreciated, thanks.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Just discovered this reference thanks to Kent. Very interested as well in the lineage.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Thomas Kwon
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Thomas Kwon
I am not well aware of the version taught in Gerry Griffin's DVD set, but Harry Lorayne has an OOTW that uses a shuffled pack by the spectator.
kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
44 Posts

Profile of kent
This may be Harry Lorayne's version. I don't have any Lorayne books (shameful I know, they're on my wish list - honest) so I can't double check.
However I was reading through Eugene Burger's "Mastering The Art Of Magic" and he has some handling tips for Harry's version, and it does sound similar to the one taught on the Griffin DVD.

Key points:

Deck shuffled by spectator
Magician selects first group of cards to be placed on 'leader cards' (clearing top stock of one colour)
New leader cards dealt (switching sides), and the deck is given to the spectator to deal from "by instinct".
And then a little 'switcheroo' of leader cards, and voila - magic.

It's the switch before the final display that I'm curious about. The explanation on the DVD is ok, but a little rushed, so I'd like to track down it's source.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Piece of unasked for (I'm sure)advice: Do NOT do a "switch" at the end. There's no need. HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
HL OOTW improptu is on My Favorite Card Tricks a small and inexpensive book, that has many other good tricks on it. I use his OOTW impromptu from a shuffle deck.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Ulysses Frederick Grant's version can be found here for $3 (eBook):

http://www.lybrary.com/this-world-p-3146.html

This version comes with two additional notes. Not sure if they are related to observations made by Eugene Burger in his "Intimate Power" booklet...

Last thing: Chris Wasshuber, the guy behind Lybrary.com is really awesome. I asked him if he had this manuscript. His answer speaks for itself: "I have this manuscript but it was not yet converted. But since it was only two pages I did it overnight and uploaded it. You can now get it." Great work. Great guy.
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
44 Posts

Profile of kent
I was just about to post this!

Lybrary.com is awesome, and I saw in their last email update that Nu Way OOTW was available.

Get yourselves there now using bikoz's link. At $3 it's a steal. And $2 less than I've seen it at other online dealers (and no shipping!)

This seems to be pretty close to the Gerry Griffin version. I have a feeling when I get the Lorayne version there will be elements of that handling in it as well.

I'm still dismayed that I can't find credits for any of the routines/moves on the Griffin set.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 01:51, kent wrote:
I have a feeling when I get the Lorayne version there will be elements of that handling in it as well.

The U.F. Grant version and Harry Lorayne's Impromptu version are practically identical.

The Gerry Griffin DVDs make me wanna puke and sleep at the same time. Your usual Magic Fakers package...
kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
44 Posts

Profile of kent
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 05:21, Uli Weigel wrote:

The U.F. Grant version and Harry Lorayne's Impromptu version are practically identical.

thanks Uli, that's the info I was looking for.

And yes, the DVDs are pretty dry. I bought the whole set online for a really cheap price, so I'm determined to get something good out of them!
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
For those that are interested, Paul curry's original 3-page booklet can be found here for $4 (eBook):

http://www.lybrary.com/this-world-p-7610.html

Click here to view attached image.
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
How does it compare to the original?
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Here2009:

Would make your question clear, please?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Gerry Griffin's OOTW (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL