The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Timothy Wenk's Insomnia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Has anyone ever heard of this rope routine? Has anyone ever performed it? Your review of the effect would be appreciated. Thanks.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Insomnia has been around since the late 80's I think. I used to have it but gave it to a friend of mine. I thought it was a really cool idea when I got it but when I showed it to a couple of people it was like they didn't get it. I think it would be a nice addition to a routine, but not a stand alone effect. I just didn't know how I could incorpoorate it into the rope magic I did at the time. It comes with different colored ropes for practice and good instructions. It didn't work for me, but for someone a little more creative I think it could be a nice addition to rope magic they already do.

I should add that I never performed it for a real audience so my experience could be very different from some others who may really like the trick. I personally believe you can't really know how good a routine is until you've performed it in front of real audiences a number of times. When I did David Acers Party of Six the first time it bombed. A few months later I looked at the instructions again and it was great! In fact now I close my parlor show with it!
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Bob Sheets performs Insomnia on his "Hang 'em High" video. He does it as part of a rope routine, which ends in rope through body, and the whole thing is very entertaining.
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
Yes, I have seen Bob perform this live, and it really looks great. I am getting ready to work on insomnia now.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
If this is the same routine as I think it is, having read a description of the effect (am I correct in saying it is a profs nightmare effect?), I have performed it. I never bought the instruction booklet so I do not know what it is like. But I bought a video from International Magic (England), Tim performed in their annual competition and this was his opening effect. Having watched the effect over and over again I eventually caught on to the working. I performed it in my competition act (I came 3rd in the Junior Close Up competition at the magic circle, England) It is really a brilliant routine and it is especially good for magician audiences, as they are expecting a normal professors nightmare effect.
I think it is worth getting.
Where could I get a copy?
Owen
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
I've also seen Bob Sheets perform this. In fact I bought mine from him. It is a great routine and a magician fooler.
-Chris
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Turk:

Another item you may want to consider is Pavel's Phenomenal Rope, which works in a similar way. There is the rope stretching part with showing the ropes separate afterward, however, there's also a sliding knot segment and rope restoration ending.

I have the Sheets video and Insomnia is VERY good; the Pavel routine is different and has more magical moments—if that's what you're after.

I believe the only dealer carrying Phenomenal Rope is Hank Lee.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Timothy Wenk's Insomnia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.53 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL