The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Do You Know? - Switchback VS: Mesika Wallets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
You're right. There have been dozens of posts written on various wallets for CTW effects.

However, I'm asking for specific info from anyone who has used the Switchback wallet and/or the Mesika wallet.

As I understand it, the Switchback only requires bringing the selection to the top of the deck. For the Mesika, I've heard you must palm off the selection. Are both of these statements true?

Also, how "open" can you be with the handling of each wallet before & after the card is removed?

And finally, for the Mesika, is a manual Mercury fold needed to complete the effect?

If anyone owns EITHER of these wallets, I'd love to hear your opinion of each. Please PM me if you feel certain info is overly sensitive.

Your info will guide my purchase for one of these (or any other hip-style wallet) that you feel is "best" for whatever reason(s).

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Ron
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have covered the Switchback wallet in detail elsewhere on this site. However, to recap briefly, the Switchback wallet is a “no-palm-signed-card-to-wallet” effect.

You do have to learn to control a selected and signed card (taught in the instructions that come with the wallet). You can handle the wallet very freely before you revel the card. In fact, there is a design element that allows you to stand the wallet on edge (partially open like a book) before the card is found inside the zippered compartment.

The basic effect is: card selected, signed and returned to deck, deck shuffled and cut, wallet brought out and opened against the deck showing a zippered window compartment, a card back is seen in the window compartment. Then the wallet can be laid flat on the table, laid flat on a spectator’s hand, or set up on edge on the table. The deck is put aside, the wallet is taken back and the zip compartment is opened. The card is removed and shown to be the signed selected card. In a bare bones summary, that is it!

There is absolutely nothing difficult about this effect. While not exactly “self-working” it comes close. There are no complicated slights and you do not load the wallet per se. There are no real angle problems (except for the standing the wallet on edge bit). Further, it is inexpensive as wallets go.

Yigal Mesika’s wallet is not much more difficult. It also requires that you be able to control a card. It does have one more step. You do need to know (and are taught in the instructions) to secretly fold the card (Mercury Fold). The folded card is found inside a snapped closed coin pocket inside the wallet. Bare bones of the effect read like the Switchback wallet except there is no zip window compartment (a snapped closed coin pocket instead) and the card is not seen before it is pulled out of the wallet. Further, the card comes out folded rather than flat and intact (as in the Switchback). It is a kind of a loader (as in Mullica).

Neither are difficult to perform, neither require complicated slights, both share the same small angle problems (almost angle proof!), both are hip-pocket style of wallets and both provide you with a signed card to wallet effect.

You could flip a coin and not go wrong with either.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Thank you Harry.

Of course most of us have read your inclusive posts on wallets, but this info provides the specifics I was looking for.

Once again the Café's Wallet Wizard comes through! (It's hard to beat someone who's experienced, knowledgeable and an all-around nice guy)
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Don't forget the Pimpernell Note Case by Peter Scarlett...it is a no-palm hip pocket style card to wallet. I highly recommend it!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
zauber
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of zauber
Harry Murphy's assessments are ALWAYS spot on. I purchased the Switchback some months ago based on Harry's personal e-mail suggestions to me and I've been very happy with the Switchback-better than Mirage Wallet IMHO, which uses a similar concept. Good luck.
"I'm still learning."
-----Michelangelo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Do You Know? - Switchback VS: Mesika Wallets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL