The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » DC's Cut & Restored Rope Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-06 19:17, Lawrence O wrote:
Apart from Ian's DVD, you may want to consider Daryls DVD and Francis Tabary. I still consider that Francis' FISM routine (he has others) is outstanding, especially the finale where the rope restores progressively in full view.

The Tabary finale is a sweet move and it is what sets the effect apart. The daryl DVD is good advice, not original, but comprehensive. Both Tabary and Sanders both have the foundations of their routines in Sands but both add a signature move that transcends Sands.
None of my moves can be found anywhere else. I deliberately avoid any movement or variation that even remotely resembles someone elses work. Although my foundation for rope comes from Sands, Trevor Lewis, and Cornelious with a little bit of Garcia, however, I do not use their techniques in my DVD's and my lectures.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Any tips for where I can learn the set-up for DC's last phase in the video (where he ties each rope and spectator cuts each rope opposite the "knot"). This is where the knot slides off.

I can get into it the standard way, but unless DC adds a piece before tying each rope together, I don't see how else he can set this up for the sliding knot the way he handles the rope. It looks so fair -- 2 ends brought up and tied together, opposite end is truly the end being cut.

Whit -- your rings premise and routine is thoroughly entertaining and adaptable. It was evident to me this underlies DC's routine.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
I believe that much of DC's three phase rope routine came from "Mac King's Other Rope Routine". This can be found in Mac King Lecture notes of the same name. I believe that Mac said during a lecture one time that DC did not do the final phase the way Mac had taught him. Mac's other rope routine is absolutely excellent and I have fooled several magicians with it. If you are into rope magic you should try and hunt up a copy.

David Tower
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Appreciate the tip. Thanks.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 10:26, David Tower wrote:
I believe that much of DC's three phase rope routine came from "Mac King's Other Rope Routine". This can be found in Mac King Lecture notes of the same name. I believe that Mac said during a lecture one time that DC did not do the final phase the way Mac had taught him. Mac's other rope routine is absolutely excellent and I have fooled several magicians with it. If you are into rope magic you should try and hunt up a copy.

David Tower

Does the final phase of Mac's routine look the same as DC's (the sliding knots off rope) even though DC does the final phase differently from the way Mac taught him?
Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Marcel.Allen.van.Bulck
"We'd have been in trouble then!"

I love that line. Completely acknowledging the sleight without the audience catching a thing.
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
Quote:

Does the final phase of Mac's routine look the same as DC's (the sliding knots off rope) even though DC does the final phase differently from the way Mac taught him?

Harv,

I believe it does. If I remember correctly, and I may be wrong, but Mac King said that in the finial phase, DC changed the way he switched his ropes for the volunteers ropes. If you take a look at the video, Copperfield briefly put the ropes around his neck. King's version does not do this.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 07:49, David Tower wrote:
Quote:

Harv,

I believe it does. If I remember correctly, and I may be wrong, but Mac King said that in the finial phase, DC changed the way he switched his ropes for the volunteers ropes. If you take a look at the video, Copperfield briefly put the ropes around his neck. King's version does not do this.

Thanks for the info David.
Mike Carroll
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Mike Carroll
Interesting what has been posted about flirting with audience members. My persona on and off stage is as an amiable and harmless Irishman, which has been very helpful as far as throwing in the occasional frisky double entendre. Simon Lovell is a master of that, the lucky so and so. Michael Finney, of course, could get away with it also. I believe the secret is that, even though your persona might come off as occasionally frisky, you must also show that you are a gentleman and thus harmless. As far as Mr. Copperfield goes, television, at least in the U.S., is a very low brow medium indeed.
MagicOfDamon
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of MagicOfDamon
Hey everyone... I need some help if possible.

Cany anyone direct me to the teachings of the very beginning of the trick where he shows both equal peices of rope but one ends up being longer - the girl cuts the long perice off - repeat - then he just tosses the rope and it becomes 1 solid peice again?

The rest I figured out I just cant seem to get this down and would love to know where I can learn it.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
The video seems to have been removed. But if you know the basic cut and restored routine (eg as in Mark Wilson) you'll know how to do the first bit. It's also demonstrated on In the Trenches by Paul Green and probably many other places. The restoration I think is the same one used in Fiber Optics but like most of that routine originates with Sands.
Jolyon Jenkins
MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
Atco, NJ
84 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
Don Wayne devised the table as stated the March 1992 interview he did with MAGIC magazine. But the table could be easily built. I will say if you are a regular viewer of Mythbusters then you know that the table uses one of Jamie's favorite toys (they use them to climb the air duct in one episode).
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Could you expound in secret sessions?
Devereaux
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
44 Posts

Profile of Devereaux
Not to sound too old or anything, but there are several good moves that seem to have been lost over the years can be found in the Encyclopedia of Rope Magic...including the move that the scissors bring up the center of the rope (which, when done smoothly, is about as clean as it gets.)

http://www.devereauxrising.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ah yes the Bob Ellis "Vishnu Rope Mystery", this is my absolutely my favorite rope trick. I found it in the Karl Fulves "self working rope magic" book on page 77, but the absolute best performance of this trick was done by Shigeo Takagi. I also saw Dick Cavette do it on a comedy special on the A&E network about 15 years ago. This is the only C&R trick that will fool a magician.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » DC's Cut & Restored Rope Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL