The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » DC's Cut & Restored Rope Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
Dear all,

David Copperfield performed a cut and restored rope routine in his Orient Express Special. In the routine, he uses a table which causes the scissors to get jammed onto the table and also inside it's container so the spectator could not remove the scissors.

Any idea who created this concept? Or any authorized builder for this table?

Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Cooperfield does many things that done by him are comedy but done by me are Vulgar sexualities.... and yes, is a very nice table!!!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
That second cut of David's was a beautiful combination of Bob Ellis, and George Sands.

Hansel
I can get away with everything David did with that pretty girl, but I always make it a point to pick the plainest woman in the room before I flurt with her.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-10-18 16:28, Al Angello wrote:
That second cut of David's was a beautiful combination of Bob Ellis, and George Sands.

Hansel
I can get away with everything David did with that pretty girl, but I always make it a point to pick the plainest woman in the room before I flurt with her.

I used to pick those good looking girls, except when I wore double-knit pants. But, Hansel, you are right about flirting and stuff. Keep it clean, keep the sexuality out of magic. Isn't that what got him in the news?

Once again, I found the video.. not bad eh, Angelo? And your right, pick the plainest woman, and the fattest kid.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Jeremy,

I think that this table was custom build for David Copperfield...

Oliver.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don't know who made the table, but the rope routine looks like it was inspired by Whit Haydn's linking ring premise.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Pete,

I've heard aswell that Jeff Sheridan helped David on his routine, but I'm not sure.

Oliver.
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
I remember the routine well, however I don't think the table has ever been on the market for sale.
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Check out Mac King's routine...

Regards,

D
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2008-12-01 01:03, Pete Biro wrote:
Don't know who made the table, but the rope routine looks like it was inspired by Whit Haydn's linking ring premise.

The premise of the rope routine was based on the original premise from my Comedy Four Ring Routine--that the spectator assistant is somehow keeping up with the performer. I recieved a mention in the credits as a "consultant."

It was a very clever approach to the same bit, one that I can't take credit for.

Chuck Fayne also based his clever "You Do As I Do" color-changing handkerchief routine on the same premise.

In 1979, when I won "Stage Magician of the Year" at the Magic Castle largely because of my ring routine, Dai Vernon said that it was the first really new and original comedy premise he had seen in magic "in thirty years."
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I love the move where he cuts the rope by bringing the rope up with the scissors.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I believe that move is by Eric lewis.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I doubt if it is Eric's as Senor Mardo taught me that move in the early 1950s.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-01 23:51, Pete Biro wrote:
I doubt if it is Eric's as Senor Mardo taught me that move in the early 1950s.

I have been tracing that move for a while, and it was in an Eric Lewis manuscript. Not to say that it didn't come from a previous source, but does Lewis predate Mardo? Did Senor Mardo perhaps learn it elsewhere?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Good question. Sadly neither are around to ask. I think Mardo came from NY (or the East somewhere) before he moved to California... so I assumed it may have been a common move for the NY guys... perhaps Slydini used it too (I seem to recall him doing it).

Altho I learned it I never used it. Also, I no longer use the stock move holding both ends and bringing up the center loop. I worked out a different way in a session with Red Hanning, in Santa Rosa, CA, maybe 40 years ago.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-02 12:15, Pete Biro wrote:
Good question. Sadly neither are around to ask. I think Mardo came from NY (or the East somewhere) before he moved to California... so I assumed it may have been a common move for the NY guys... perhaps Slydini used it too (I seem to recall him doing it).

Altho I learned it I never used it. Also, I no longer use the stock move holding both ends and bringing up the center loop. I worked out a different way in a session with Red Hanning, in Santa Rosa, CA, maybe 40 years ago.

I don't use the c&R that way either. I hold the one end and do the pick up differently as well. Kind of like the move we were discussing, except without the scissors, which is why I had researched it.
I should send you one of my rope lecture DVD's so I can share some theories and moves I think you would enjoy.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
How much for a DVD?
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
On rope? I have three DVD's. One on the linking ropes, then one is my lecture on Just rope, and the third is my Dances with ropes routine.
Check out my site: http://www.magicians.tv and see some rope routines. Purchase page:
http://bigduck.tripod.com/magicianoriginals/id36.html
Thanks for asking
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Apart from Ian's DVD, you may want to consider Daryls DVD and Francis Tabary. I still consider that Francis' FISM routine (he has others) is outstanding, especially the finale where the rope restores progressively in full view.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » DC's Cut & Restored Rope Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL