The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Rubik Remembered by Mark Elsdon (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Hi folks,

Does anyone have this? How does it compare to Insta-Cube and Enchanted Cube?

Or is it a method for solving a real cube?

Thanks in advance,
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
It is a method of actually solving a real ungaffed cube while blindfolded. At least, that's what the product description and video show.
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Well, Pepka, thanks for your reply but I sincerely doubt it.
I'm kind of a crazy cubber myself and solving a scrambled cube blindfolded is quite a difficult task, even if you're a freakin' genius at solving it with your eyes wide open Smile

That's why I was trying to find someone who actually owns it.

Thanks nevertheless, man.
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I'm merely stating what is on their website. No one owns it yet as it doesn't ship til the middle of November.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago, I've been eager to try this since seeing the demo. Will post a review when I receive it...

Luke
wizardofthenorth
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of wizardofthenorth
Hi
I just got one of these as Alakazam have received the first batch and as far as I am aware the pre orders are currently being shipped contact them if you want one http://www.alakazam.co.uk - first off, having had a quick look at it over the weekend - don't expect to perform it 5 minutes after opening the package - you have to put some time in to learn the method but as far as I can see once learnt you can do this anywhere and at any time just like the demo

Chris
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Then, is it a magically solved cube (like Insta-Cube, etc.,.) or a clever method you can use to solve any cube? In this case, I don't quite understand what it has to do with magic, since there are already many different methods to solve a cube out there. I know a couple of them myself and I can solve any scrambled cube in a little less than a minute. So, what's the deal?

I guess I'm missing something here (hopefully)...
(Simon Aronson)
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
The idea is that the cube is mixed up by spectator and the magi takes a look at the various patterns each side.He's then blindfolded and uses recollection techniques to recall the six mixed patterns and solve the puzzle blindfolded.Photographic memory and genius puzzle solving skills "that's THE DEAL"
Audiences love it....enough said ! Mr Elsdon has excelled himself yet again.
Regards Mark
E.O.I
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
But it isn't a regular cube, is it?
(Simon Aronson)
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi everyone,

Just a quick post to clear a few things up:

Rubik Remembered is a in-depth instructional DVD that teaches the routine as shown in the demo - the spectator mixes up a cube, the performer then puts on a sleep mask and solves the cube.

The cube and blindfold are NOT included with the DVD - you will need to pop along to your local store and buy yourself a Rubik's Cube from the toy department and a sleep mask (usually found in the travel section of a baggage store or a supermarket.)

- The cube is a regular, shop-bought Rubik's Cube that is not gaffed in any way.

- The blindfold used is a regular, shop-bought sleep mask that is ungaffed.

- The routine will take some time to master but is well within the reach of anyone willing to put in a bit of time and effort. No prior knowledge of the Rubik's Cube puzzle is required.

- The Rubik's Cube and its trademarks are used in the DVD and packaging by permission of Seven Towns Ltd.

Good news for preorder customers:

The first batch of Rubik Remembered DVDs have arrived with us much earlier than expected so as a result - all of the outstanding preorders are being dispatched today (both UK & foreign preorders) so they should be with you all within the next few days (UK) and ten or so days (outside UK).

I hope that you all enjoy the DVD and as ever - if you have any questions or queries then please do not hesitate to drop either myself, Chris or Mark an email or call here in the shop and we will be more than happy to help you.

Kind regards,

Peter Nardi.
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
Well, this is getting more interesting by the minute. And I'm talking as a cuber now, not as a magician.

Time will tell...
(Simon Aronson)
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I wonder how different from the Osterlind blindfold solve this is? I studied Richard's routine and basically learned how to solve the cube by referring to information freely available on the web.

Peter, any clues on how this is different/better?
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Andi,

Well for one thing Rubik Remembered comes with a full explanation Smile

We did speak to Richard about this when his discs came out as Rubik Remember was filmed way before Osterlinds version was released.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Sounds like a good deal then. I spent days (weeks) trying to find the best methods on the web for solving the cube. You're right in that Osterlind doesn't teach the method for solving the cube on his DVD.

If this DVD had been available at the time I would have snapped it up and saved myself a lot of time.

I might order it anyway as I'm sure Mark's technique is more direct than mine, if it's like the rest of his material e.g. Before I Forget.

The other one I'm looking forward to is Garrett Thomas' take on the trick. Anyone know when that's due to be released, if at all?
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 13:06, Peter Nardi wrote:

We did speak to Richard about this when his discs came out as Rubik Remember was filmed way before Osterlinds version was released.

The snarky comment about the explanation aside, your take on this effect must have been "filmed" quite some time ago as it took just about a year for No Camera Tricks to come out after the initial taping. What's more, Richard has been doing this effect ever since I've known him, which is more than twenty years ago. Did you "film" this on a Betamax? Smile

I will make it a point, however, to ask Richard about this purported discussion, also. Since Richard and I talk every day - sometimes several times a day - about all aspects of our business, it's highly unusual for him not to have mentioned this conversation, but who knows?

Usually, though, the rule of thumb is first published gets the credit and the credit for a plot involving the solving of an ungimmicked Rubik's Cube while wearing an ungimmicked blindfold as part of a magic or mentalism show, in my opinion, quite clearly belongs to Richard.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Jim,

My statement was that this was filmed before Richards DVD's came out and that is true. As far as I know Mark Elsdon Email Richard as soon as we got Richards DVD's in stock to let him know about his effect. at this time the routine was already filmed and the trailer was out. I think it's one of those great mind moments.

Regards

Peter
John George
View Profile
New user
California
25 Posts

Profile of John George
FYI-

This plot was not originally a magic trick. It was adapted from the people that do it for real. Cubers have been solving Rubik's Cubes Blindfolded for real with no trickery involved for many years now. We magician's have more recently decided to try do make it easier by using trickery and cheating methods. I have spent months working on the real method using memorization techniques and algorithms. I had my first success last month and I continue to work at it to get my times down.

I learned from Tyson Mao. He was the gentleman on Beauty and the Geek who solved the cube behind his back. Tyson can memorize and solve the cube in under two minutes. Tyson is also the person that taught Will Smith how to solve a Rubik's Cube for his role in "The Pursuit of Happyness"

Are you are interested in learning the original, un-gimicked, no trickery method of solving the Rubik's Cube blindfolded?????

I recently produced a DVD that goes over the following three areas:

1. The basic method for solving a cube.
2. Speedsolving a cube. (basically you can learn to solve the cube in under 30 seconds)
3. Blindfold Solving

This DVD is being sold in Barnes and Noble and is expected to hit shelves either this month or next month. The DVD will be sold with a Rubik's Cube and will sell for less than $20.00. This DVD was sanctioned, fully funded and endorsed by Seven Towns, the company that owns the rights to the Rubik's Cube trademark.

Also, if you are a member of the Magic Castle. I will be doing a Castle Perks night on Monday, November 3rd. I along with Tyson Mao and many of the top cubers from around the world will be giving a tutorial on the Rubik's Cube. We will also be selling the DVD along with Rubik's Cubes.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me- Magic@JohnGeorge.com

We also have a temporary website up at http://www.youcansolvethecube.com

We plan on having much more information available at the site in the near future.

John George

P.S. My point is not to impugn the methods of Richard Osterlind, Mark Elsdon, or any other method using trickery. The methods using deception may in fact be better for a performer. They should be easier to learn and are more reliable. Because the real method relies on memory and has no safety net there are times when one will fail using the method on my DVD.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 16:19, Jim Sisti wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 13:06, Peter Nardi wrote:

The snarky comment about the explanation aside, your take on this effect must have been "filmed" quite some time ago as it took just about a year for No Camera Tricks to come out after the initial taping. What's more, Richard has been doing this effect ever since I've known him, which is more than twenty years ago. Did you "film" this on a Betamax? Smile

I will make it a point, however, to ask Richard about this purported discussion, also. Since Richard and I talk every day - sometimes several times a day - about all aspects of our business, it's highly unusual for him not to have mentioned this conversation, but who knows?

Usually, though, the rule of thumb is first published gets the credit and the credit for a plot involving the solving of an ungimmicked Rubik's Cube while wearing an ungimmicked blindfold as part of a magic or mentalism show, in my opinion, quite clearly belongs to Richard.

John Riggs has also been doing this for over 20 Years.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Cubing has it's own little sub-culture of stars and Tyson Mao is a super-star in this arena. I've seen Tyson do 12 to 15 second solves while looking and 90 second solves with the cube behind his back (it's freaking unbelievable). I'm not sure of the Elsdon method, but it does look similar to an un-gimmicked solve. I've never seen the Osterlind routine. John George does use this in his shows but more as a memory stunt than a magic trick (it is an un-gimmicked solve). People are fascinated by the cube and think of it as nearly impossible to solve. I think Garrett Thomas has some kind of insta-solve too, but I'm not sure of the method or how it is integrated into his shows.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Please, let's clarify what we are talking about here, gentlemen.

Solving the Rubik's Cube after it has been mixed by memorizing the position of the colors and then doing it blindfolded or behind your back is a legitimate ability that shows great skill, but is not magic or mentalism.

The plot of being blindfolded FIRST, next having the cube mixed so that you cannot see it and then solving it using your powers is a mentalism plot. Even the best Rubik's Cube expert cannot do this without using our secret tactics.

I first referenced doing the above effect in my Blindfold Book (Jeff Busby Magic) on page 13, published in 1987, but I had already been doing it for years every since the cube first made its appearence.

Richard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Rubik Remembered by Mark Elsdon (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL