The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Good uses for the 1800 decks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Since they have been on the market for quite some time now, I wondered just what kind of uses or routines people have come up with for the Ellusionist Bicycle 1800
decks. I know several have simply used a single card stored in a wallet or old envelope as a prediction, but this seems a bit of a waste when one has a complete deck of such cards to work with.

The best I have come up with is to convert one of the decks to an Invisible deck and present it as an old deck I found in a trunk in the attic. This trunk just so happened to belong to an ancestor who was a famous magician from the early 1900's. The deck is wrapped in an old piece of parchment like paper on which is a hand written note from this ancestor stating that they have managed to perform one last trick from the great beyond. Of course this would be the standard ID deck effect of having one reversed card that matches the card just chosen by a spectator.

The advantage to using this deck for the ID routine is that due to the aged look of the deck, I have an excuse to put it away and then switch to a regular looking deck for other card effects.

Any other ideas floating around.
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
oldi
View Profile
New user
switzerland
92 Posts

Profile of oldi
I`m thinking about using Bicycle 1800 for the Time Card Trick from Gordon Bean, which I like very much. Because the story of my routine plays in a old castleroom those cards would fit perfectly. The only problem: To make one gaffed deck I have to buy 26 Bicycle 1800 decks. So I am still just think about...
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
If you think about patter, the deck can be used for ANY card effect that involves patter favorable to antiquity or history themes.

Mentalism where the cards are an old deck handed down among magicians... ect..
spice it up as you like...

the look will compliment the patter... and the patter will compliment the look.

You could also do an effect where you switch cards... and tell the spec that you can magically AGE a chosen card.... lots of possibility there.. even something as simple as a double walled envelope switch...
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Yeah, maybe a Wild Bill dead man's hand themed trick or Bro John Hamman's Billy the kid might be good to use these for. One problem is that rather than looking like authentic antique cards they look more like a deck of cards that have been soaking in raw sewage for a week or two.

I thought I read where Ellusions was going to offer some gaffed cards or gaffed decks to match the 1800 series, but they may have dropped that idea if they did not see enough future sales to warrant the production expense.

Or they may be having just as much trouble coming up with uses for them to design gaffs around.

Oh, wait I got it. For the dead mans hand trick, I could say that the original cards were lost and never recovered just after Jack McCall shot Wild Bill.
Then I could relate about how I just recently bought this old spittoon at a garage sale stuffed with old papers. While cleaning it I found a Deadwood newspaper dated on the day the Bill was shot and this old deck of cards that had been soaking in tobacco juice for all those years.

Heck, Maybe I'll even offer the spectator a plug and a chaw just for atmosphere--LOL
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-10-20 18:49, Nerdini wrote:
Yeah, maybe a Wild Bill dead man's hand themed trick or Bro John Hamman's Billy the kid might be good to use these for. One problem is that rather than looking like authentic antique cards they look more like a deck of cards that have been soaking in raw sewage for a week or two.

I thought I read where Ellusions was going to offer some gaffed cards or gaffed decks to match the 1800 series, but they may have dropped that idea if they did not see enough future sales to warrant the production expense.

Or they may be having just as much trouble coming up with uses for them to design gaffs around.

Oh, wait I got it. For the dead mans hand trick, I could say that the original cards were lost and never recovered just after Jack McCall shot Wild Bill.
Then I could relate about how I just recently bought this old spittoon at a garage sale stuffed with old papers. While cleaning it I found a Deadwood newspaper dated on the day the Bill was shot and this old deck of cards that had been soaking in tobacco juice for all those years.

Heck, Maybe I'll even offer the spectator a plug and a chaw just for atmosphere--LOL

The best "Wild Bill" trick I have ever seen is Henry Christ's "Dead Man's Hand, originally published In "The Jinx", No. 33, June 1937. Just do it the way it's described, it's mostly self working, and with the proper presentation it produces screams. The Ellusionist cards would be a nice touch. I have been using a deck of US Games "1864" replica cards, but since they are square-cut, without rounded corners, they are a bit fussy to handle. Also the lack of indexes, while authentic, is a minus. I might send for a deck of the Ellusionist cards to use for this.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
I do a Jonah card routine with "aged" cards (not the 1800, but a deck with both an old design which has been manually aged, so they actually look and feel old - no manipulation possible; which makes the Jonah idea ideal)
the "hook" is an old card sharp who left his cards in a game where someone constantly lost.
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
DStachowiak

I've seen the Henry Christ trick mentioned before, but I don't have access to the source you mention. Would it be written up in any other texts?

Cheers
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Holding up the short leg on my couch.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 01:15, pepka wrote:

I hope you aren't serious. I'm pretty sure you aren't making a jab at E-decks in general, cause the 1800 deck is a brilliant concept. Smile
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Hesmon
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Hesmon
Quote:
cause the 1800 deck is a brilliant concept. Smile

Brilliant concept, ragged realization.

I would like to use these cards, but the quality of the finish is so bad, that they clump together after a few hours of use. After a day you have a solid block of cards.

The only application I had, was to give the decks away to customers as a curiosity :-(
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 08:58, Hesmon wrote:
Quote:

Hence my wording. I don't want to come off as an E-Basher, as I have been pinged for it several times before. I suppose I should have included the functional concept in which I employ the use of these cards... Kolossal Killer. I don't utilise them for any of my workers effects.

Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 08:58, Hesmon wrote:
Quote:

I would like to use these cards, but the quality of the finish is so bad, that they clump together after a few hours of use. After a day you have a solid block of cards.

The only application I had, was to give the decks away to customers as a curiosity :-(

That's odd--While I do not think the finish level is equal to regular bikes, I haven't had the problem that you have encountered.

I have a deck that I have been using for practice off and on for more than two weeks while trying to come up with iteas for it, and mine is not sticky at all.

Personally, I just think they went overboard with the aging--particularily on the faces. From 10 feet away, it is very hard to make out the value of a number card or even distinguish red from black on the court cards. My other complaint is that the printing process bled through to edges of the deck. You stick one of these in a regular deck or vice-versa and the odd card stands out like a sore thumb. This makes trying come up with any sort of color changing deck routine a lot less practical.

I still think making up an invisible deck with one of these decks and using the presentation that it belonged to a famous anncestor magician may be the best idea I've come up with so far. What better way to wring in the ID and then have a perfect excuse to not have to use it for other card tricks.

Cheers
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 04:36, Chappo wrote:
Quote:

I hope you aren't serious. I'm pretty sure you aren't making a jab at E-decks in general, cause the 1800 deck is a brilliant concept. Smile

I am.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Just an information for all out there who like the concept of old looking playing cards but need them to really look old. Please give the Heirloom Deck or Gypsy Deck a try, they are very unique and are really from 1810 to 1860.

They look like the Highlanders 1864 but old and worn. The decks are marked and while designing I had the magician in mind. Also, a lot of gaffs are available for them...

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 00:00, pepka wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am.

*** Pepka, there goes my idea for your Xmas present!
Mark Reed
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
I've made up a version of Trinity (my one deck version of Trilogy) using 1800's and a aged photo as the final revelation.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2008-11-04 00:00, pepka wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am.

Dear oh dear... such negativity from workers... Maybe some constructive criticism perhaps? Smile

mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
The Slob Routine...

Where is my deck... grrr... heres a half eaten twinkie.. no that's not it... empty soda can.. nope...ketchup packs.. McDonalds trash... papers with coffee stains all over... ahhh there it is... my 1800 deck!!!

I think the 1800 deck would be so much better if they matte or dull coated them instead of having them glossy stock like normal cards.

For effects that need a real aged look, I like to use the Civil War deck

http://www.shopmagicvault.com/Civil-War-......248.html

or one of the decks from Card-Shark.de that advertises here. Im glad to see Murphys now carries them Christian!!!! I have a few decks coming for my store.
Mark Reed
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I grew up with blue Bikes so the 1800's appealed to me. I have a boatload of them, I love'em. I realize like other specialty decks they're not well liked by some and that's cool. To each their own, it is just a deck of cards after all...

I think any 'olden days' type storyline lends itself well to the 1800 deck.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-11-03 00:55, Nerdini wrote:
DStachowiak

I've seen the Henry Christ trick mentioned before, but I don't have access to the source you mention. Would it be written up in any other texts?

Cheers

I don't know of any other places this routine was published, but the complete "The Jinx" is available in PDF from Geno Munari at Houdini's Magic Shop, http://houdini.com/includes.cfm?page=sho......_ID=1813
For less than $20. Even if you decided this routine wasn't for you, "The Jinx" is an incredible resource. It's where all the stuff in those Annemann books like "Practical Mental Effects" and others was originally published. One guy on the Café has been printing off one issue every week and reading it, as though he was subscribing to it.
You might find it worth checking out.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Good uses for the 1800 decks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL