The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Your favorite beginner's trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
'Double X'
AdamWhite
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of AdamWhite
The first magic prop purchase I ever made was a hot rod and a set of sponge balls by Gosh. Funny how after all these years, the sponges balls have always stayed in my performances, both close up and platform.

Always wishing the best,
Adam White
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
I did the floating dollar bill - can't get enough of people's reactions.
Followed by the invisible deck and stripper deck effects.
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"
brettsaunders
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
108 Posts

Profile of brettsaunders
I'm not sure the name of the effect, but getting a spectator to select a card, control it to the top and do a slip-cut revelation in the process of throwing the deck from one hand to the other. Great illusion that really surprises people.
chidzuyo
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of chidzuyo
Professor's Nightmare.

=) It's a classic. Takes a few minutes to master, and a couple more practices to make it better. And the ropes can be examined.
Pastor Mickey
View Profile
New user
Colorado
97 Posts

Profile of Pastor Mickey
Invisible Deck. Still one of the favorites.
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
Elevator Jacks for me... My sister showed it to me YEARS AND YEARS ago!! Still do a version of it now, but with less set up and more sleight of hand.
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
Cardician99
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
158 Posts

Profile of Cardician99
Like so many others, the very first trick I ever bought was the Invisible Deck. Shortly thereafter, I learned my first card trick with regular cards: "Further Than That."

Its been so long ago (48 years!) that I can't recall my original source.(Possibly another magician.) However, I believe it appears in several publications today. (Someone out there might know and can advise Andrew.) This effect so impresses an audience that I still use it on occasions today as my opener. Goes to show you: Some of the simplest of things can have such a tremendous impact on an audience.

Description is a bit lengthly, so I won't attempt it here. If you happen to come across it, you won't be disappointed once you've tried it.
Christo
View Profile
Loyal user
Cyprus
229 Posts

Profile of Christo
The first trick I ever learnt was "The Paddles".

This was shown to me by a Magician friend using a couple of knives and some tissue papar.......it absolutely floored me. I nagged him and nagged him till he got so fed up with me he made me a set of paddles out of cocktail stirrers. 25 years on and I still use it.

Chris
"Humpty was pushed!!"
jtb
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of jtb
My first one was the Magic Coloring Book.

I still use it at schools although it now has become a full routine with a number of stages.
chidzuyo
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of chidzuyo
^ I like the coloring book too. It's simple to do but the effect is pretty amazing.

The other illusion I like is coin squeeze.
Rockabilly
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria, BC,
158 Posts

Profile of Rockabilly
I started with the TT silk vanish. 20 years later I still carry one with me everywhere.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
For me it was the trick with 7 cent pieces from the book "Magic for dummies":
7 cent are given into a spectators hand, but only 6 arrive there. I still like it very much, as it can be shown in any situation, can be repeated if you like, and wrapped up in a nice story this one really is fun for the audience.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
My first tricks were a stripper deck and Scotch & Soda.

Dan.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Key card location. So simple. Soooo many presentation possibilities. You can be a card sharp, you can smell their card, you can read their mind, you can get it wrong and have them find it by spelling their card, their name, etc etc etc.

Always remember that if the effect is simple you can focus that much more on the presentation, the whys and wherefores.
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
Mine would have to be the savangeli deck
homegrown
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
85 Posts

Profile of homegrown
I'm liking the Do As I Do one right now- simple, and because of the spectator becoming the participant, it's good. I'm working on the chapstick caper right now and just can't wait until I have it down. Seems like an absolutely incredible effect, but I promise to dedicate practice before performance, lest I blow the trick and methodology.
magicman88
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
14 Posts

Profile of magicman88
Svengali Deck and Sponge Balls, and I still perform with both
Cipher
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Cipher
Gray's Spelling Trick from Royal Road. Still one of my favorites. Simple magic at its best.
Lord of War
View Profile
New user
Jacksonville
7 Posts

Profile of Lord of War
Quote:
On 2008-10-21 13:48, allen_m wrote:
Scotch and Soda is a good coin trick for beginners...

This is the one I was thinking, simple but effective and exciting for beginners.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Your favorite beginner's trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL