The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Magic with Japanese or Chinese hand fans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
220 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Somewhere in my memory I can remember seeing an old movie where a Japanese Geisha performed a manipulative routine using only an Asian styled hand fan. The fan would open and close almost magically with no hand movement and there may have even been a vanish and re-appearance move.

About the only references I can seem to locate in various magical texts that I have are simply the use of such fans in the Snowstorm in China or the egg on fan effects. I've also done some searches on the net for any info such work with fans, but they have all pretty much ended with some arcane historical reference or some Asian import site that sells such fans.

Does anybody have any ideas or knowledge of where I might find information such a routine?

Cheers
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
220 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
I just noticed that this may be exactly the same thing that Danielguo is asking in his post from yesterday, and if so post there.

We are both talking about Asian bamboo, silk, and/or paper fans and not card fans by the way.
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
"The Amazing Miracles of Shieo Takagi" has an Eastern-style cup-and-ball routine called "Owan to Tama" that utilises a fan for the loading.
Bruce
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Stage/parlor magic is at least as big as closeup over here, and there are a lot of things being done by Japanese magicians with traditional Japanese objects such as fans, silks with kanji letters, etc. The female magicians are especially interested in mixing traditional arts with their magic.

Unfortunately, most of the traditional-object effects that are available are on Japanese-language websites, and it takes some time to go through them to find the treasures. Perhaps sites with English language versions such as Seo Magic USA and UGM will offer some of these items with English explanations.

I'd check those sites for their updates. I haven't checked them recently, so they may have some of the items you're looking for right now.

Bill
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Opening and closing fans with little or no apparant hand movement isn't really a magic thing... it's just how you open a fan... You can play around with applying different techniques from 1 hand card fanning, and you can also do some fun things playing around with pressure on the short section below the pin.

For appearances your loads and steals are very similar to feather flowers and parasols (almost the same shape). For vanishes look into flip stick work.

For the 1 book answer Jim Steinmeyer wrote up Alan Wakelings fan act in "The Magic of Alan Wakeling". It's a wonderful act, but bear in mind that he is teaching anothers act, at thus it is nothing like encyclopedic on the subject of fans.

Good luck with it, a fan is a wonderfully versatile prop, that can let you transition through a variety of effects.

Paul
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Also get over to your closest Chinatown and buy a bunch of different fans in different sizes and play!

:)
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
220 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Quote:
On 2008-11-02 17:22, Paul Jester wrote:
Also get over to your closest Chinatown and buy a bunch of different fans in different sizes and play!

:)

Originally, I was originally just looking for a colorful fan for the snowstorm, or maybe the similar butterfly/storm effect--although I have never seen the latter version performed. I might add the Sterling egg effect too.

Then, while at a local flea market, I came across a whole box of old fans at a dealers booth. It was closing time and he was ready to deal, so on a lark I bought the whole box for the princely sum of $15. I ended up with 24 different fans of all sizes and styles.

It must have been someones collection since it contained everything from Asian styles to Spanish--silk, paper, and all wood. There are a couple of Spanish lace fans that appear to be quite old and probably worth more than I paid for the whole lot--even one with what appears to be a roaring 20's flapper lady painted on the cloth fan part.

Anyway, after seeing the wonderful vanish and reproduction of a sandalwood style fan on the Jeff Sheridan DVD, I got to thinking about a more involved fan routine that could use the snowstorm as a finale. I just got the Alan Wakeling book yesterday (from Amazon)and it has already given me some ideas.

However, rather than in evening dress as Wakeling presented it, my idea is in full ancient traditional Chinese dress. I have a source for such a costume at reasonable price from a company that supplies the Beijing opera---and the great thing about one of these Chinese robes is that one could pretty well hide everything including the kitchen sink in the large flowing sleeves.

Thanks, for the replies
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Magic with Japanese or Chinese hand fans (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL