The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Al Baker's Mental Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I recently purchased the book "Mental Magic" - Al Baker from a book store. It is copyrighted 1949. It has a lot of interesting things listed. I do recommend it.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Any mentalism in there Mike?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yes. It shows The Baker Switch, Center Tear and Secret Reading of Billets. Clairvoyance, mind reading techniques, over the phone mentalism, plus many more. It has 30 effects.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-10-21 04:31, Dynamike wrote:
Yes. It shows The Baker Switch, Center Tear and Secret Reading of Billets. Clairvoyance, mind reading techniques, over the phone mentalism, plus many more. It has 30 effects.

Wow, I need to hit some garage sales! Great stuff in the classics.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
296 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Hi, I just wanted to know, is this a different book from the Al Baker books 1 and 2?
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
Yes, they are different. Al Baker's books 1 & 2 were his first, earlier works.

Torkova
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
296 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Thanks Torkova, now to start the hunt to track down a copy of the book Smile
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
If you have the cash, get "The Secret Ways of Al Baker" from the Miracle Factory (http://www.miraclefactory.net/baker.htm). It's over 900 hundred pages and has EVERYTHING Al Baker wrote--his books, tricks, magazine articles, even letters. It's really the ultimate reference and has commentary and essays from Eugene Burger, Teller, Max Maven.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
How much more is it without the commentary from Teller and Maven?

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
If you were going to buy Al baker's book or mind, myth and magik which one would you purchase..forget the price
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Neither. Well, MMaM I think.
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
Why neither I've heard fantastic things about the Baker Book?
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
As Candin has noted, there are tons of great stuff in the classics. It's a shame that they are so often overlooked in favor of the "latest and greatest" which, more often than not is based on and/or derived from the material that is contained in the classics. And what you find in the classics often gives you a better understanding of the effect than newer derivations. Studying both usually gives you a deeper understanding and greater appreciation than either alone.
Dick Christian
eric50
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of eric50
I agree the roots of most of today's effects are in the classics
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
"The Secret Ways of Al Baker" or "Mind, Myth and Magic?" Buy both. It doesn't matter in what order. If it helps, I'll tell you the Al Baker book is more expensive, but there's more practical material per page. MM&M is great fun to read.

Although MM&M is less expensive, a good spider monkey will cost you upwards of $3500.Smile
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
FWIW, Annemann held Baker in the highest regard. They became great friends and some of Annemann's best work was based on Baker's ideas.

I fully agree with Dick. In a quest for the latest and the greatest, most overlook the past greats.

Some would argue that it's all "dated."

But to understand the brilliance of Annemann's Triple Telepathy, for example, you need to discover where it stemmed from... it's 100% Baker's, instead replacing cards with a number, a word and a picture.

I can tell you, from experience, that once you know the lineage of something, it tremendously helps you not only in the performance, but allows you grace to develop your own ideas and thoughts.

Todd Karr's book is by far the best value. I consult it on a regular basis and sold my "originals" long ago.

SC
kevin carmean
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of kevin carmean
"The secret ways of Al Baker" is loaded with great mentalist material.
A very happy purchase.

Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Al Baker's Mental Magic (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL