We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Olde worlde apparatus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
440 Posts

Profile of scolman
Hi guys, you may have seen some of my posts looking for checker cabinet info.

I've become obssessed with Art deco, Okito Styled apparatus. In the interim I just finished making two new pieces (my own design) I know its hard to tell from a photo but I'd appreciate comments;

The web link is here :
http://www.magicurios.com/the-shrines-of-lakshmi.html

and here

http://www.magicurios.com/elixir.html

Most of my apparatus is actually dark and bizarre normally so I'd like feedback from the rest of the prop builders here.

Thanks,
Simon
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
The props look good. Have you used the spray that has the cracked effect?

Mark
Mark Daniel
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
440 Posts

Profile of scolman
I did the crackle in four phases and applied it by hand - didn't know there was a spray??
Simon
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I know people who have used this and apparently it really does do what it says on the tin...

http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pco......uct---GO

Mark
Mark Daniel
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
The spray form is a lot easier to apply and with practice you can guage the application of the top coat to give varying degrees of crazing(crackling),yours seem very pronounced.
The application of some form of random patina also gives a desirable aged effect.
The patina can also be sprayed,with the excess removed with fine wire wool(000 grade)before being sealed.If patina is not available the use of a tinted wax will do the trick!Try it with brown/black shoe polish,it's more or less the same,removing the excess with a stiff bristle brush and polishing cloth,leaving the darker areas,where an accumulation of dirt would naturally gather to give a more realistic distressed appearance.
There are many other ways,but this should give a little extra oomph to your,impressive I must say,pieces.
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
As a side note,not wanting to be too critical,the mould around the top would be more in keeping with an art deco style if it was more angular,ie.a bevel and downstand,rather than the ovolo mould which you are using.
A piddling point I know,but it would also bring the top more into line with the plinth detail.
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Scolman, those are excellent looking props you have made. really look good and appealing.
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Thanks for the links
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
The acorns on the tops of The Shrines of Lakshmi seem out of place to me. Something not in keeping with the overall theme. I would also agree about the top molding as well being inconsistent.

Having said that I think you are well on your way. Very nice workmanship.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
440 Posts

Profile of scolman
Thanks Guys,
Very constructive comments.
I too had some doubts about the acorns although I have to say I got a bit lost in the technispeak regarding the woodworking - can you direct me to some literature?

I'm extremely grateful to have a resource like the Café. I'm a bit isolated here in Johannesburg, SA.

Simon
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Take a look at the edge detail on the tops of these cabinets in the link,that is the detail I was refering to when I mentioned the top mould.Ovolo is just the name for the profile which you are currently using.
As a side note,alot of art deco was inspired by Mayan and Aztec architecture and art,for the most part being geometric.This could give you another outlet,early Mexican themed boxes,steeped in;history,mystery,and culture.
http://www.hungary4deco.co.uk/Art_deco_bedside_cabinets.htm
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
440 Posts

Profile of scolman
Thanks Ray.
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
Hmm, I've never thought of Okito pieces as art deco although the early 20th century time frame is correct! Regardless, your workmanship is excellent and your decals and Indian designs very attractive. It is a pleasure to see pictures of fine work like this!
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
440 Posts

Profile of scolman
Thanks Dave.
It does seem a bit insulting to refer to Okito apparatus as Art Deco, they really belong in a class of their own. Somehow the oriental theme should take one back a couple of thousand years rather than just to the early 20th Century.

Regardless of where you place it - Okito artifacts have to be some of the most beautiful pieces ever created.

Simon
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Simon,

These pieces look beautiful. Congratulations!

Geoffrey
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Olde worlde apparatus (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL