The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Heat shrink (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I am wanting some information on how I would be able to heat shrink two zip locks bags together as one? would like to know the tools needed and where I could find them. thanks and god bless.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Heat shrink is usually a tube that is put over wires, heated, and it shrinks to wrap around and protect the wires. I am guessing that you want to join "weld" (2) bags together. If this is the case you might have some success with experimenting with a plastic bag heat sealer. Use the sealer to "weld" the surfaces together.

Bill
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for letting me know. I am wanting to weld a piece of plastic to the inside of a normal plastic zip lock bag. which will make a divider. any suggestions?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I would suggest turning the bag inside out before trying this. If you have access to a Seal-a-Meal or similar sealer for food storage, you might be successful using it.

There is an earlier thread on the Café about making custom inflatables using plastic sheeting. One of the websites referenced there might have some useful information.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Don't turn the bag inside out.

Instead, take a second, identical bag and carefully cut it at all four edges so that you have a sheet exactly wide enough and tall enough to fit inside the first bag (just below the "ziplock" edges).

Put the loose sheet inside the bag and position it such that the side and bottom edges fit where they are supposed to. Then heat seal those sides and the bottom edges with the seal function of any Food-Saver vacuum sealer (don't employ the vacuum feature when doing this).

Using an X-acto knife and a straightedge (or sharp scissors and a steady hand) to trim off any excess. You should end up with a slightly undersized bag that will pass limited scrutiny.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
In addition to preparing the bags as TW mentions above, I've just used a butane lighter (Bic) and sealed the edges just fine. Just place the baggies in a book with the cut edges of the baggie slightly hanging over the page edges and quickly run the lighter along them. They'll melt together and it works in a pinch.

Mark. Smile
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for all of the help.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
If you don't have access to a heat sealer, try your nearest butchers shop. They're sure to have one. I worked in a butchers as a teenager, the whole world fell apart when ours broke! They're a pretty essential item to any butcher.

Mark
Mark Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Heat shrink (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL