The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Strait Jacket Escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I'm not an escape artist. But I was thinking about adding an strait jacket escape as a grand finale for street busking. Any comments?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What if you can't get out?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I laughed out loud when I read that Frank...thanks I needed a good laugh.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree Frank. That is why I was requesting a gimmicked one it the Escape Artist section yesterday.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
One of the best street acts I have ever seen was a kid (late teens or early 20s) working Venice Beach California. His whole act was the Straightjacket. It wasn’t the trick it was his personality, quick wit, and line of chatter. He kept us rooted to the spot, laughing, clapping, and rooting for him. I must have watched his act a half a dozen times (and paid a little each time) just because he was so much fun. The kid really knew how to work the crowd.

Search for and read the posts on the real versus gimmicked straightjackets. It is an interesting read.

I have both kinds of jacket. For day to day use outside a full escape act, I use an ungimmicked jacket. In fact, the gimmicked jacket has belly loops (yes I can get out of an ungimmicked version too but it takes work. For a simple, cross the arm, classic Humane version no gimmick is necessary. The work will be trying to make it look difficult. You can be tripped up by a spectator but even then you’ll get out. It will just take much more work and work means time consumed.

While most magicians attending conventions groan when someone drags out a straightjacket the public (I should say paying public) seem to love watching it.

It has all the elements of good theater and starts with a spectator helping you (great comedy lines here) and ends with you center stage, alone with the focus of all attention on you.

The down side is that even a gimmicked on takes a little work. Either type is hot being heavy canvas (so in the heat of the summer take plenty of water). You will sweat performing the routine. At the end of the day you’ll even stink a bit (more or less depending on your body chemistry). And oh…if you use the crotch strap you will get hurt eventually – wear a catcher’s cup! I removed my crotch strap. I found that it slowed the act down too much for the one or two easy laughs I got.

Please read the straightjacket threads in the escape section you’ll get a virtual instruction and tip manual.

Also, I have an extra Humane, size“large”, ungimmicked, jacket that is basically new and unused (it is one of my back-up jackets) that you might be interested in. PM me if interested and we discuss it.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ebusojar
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ebusojar
Definitely go for it!

I just started doing a comedy straight jacket escape recently, but I have yet to come across a crowd that isn't instantly enamored with the idea of a straighjacket escape.

If you can find a video of it, I recommend looking at Simon Lovell's comedy version. Not only is it hilarious, but it hits home for me because it was my inspiration to start.

Good luck!
Evan Northrup
www.evannorthrup.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
The straitjacket is a big part of my street show taking up 10 minutes. There is so much you can put into it and you can seriously lengthen the act and drag it out at times. It is definately a piece where your character can shine through anyway you perform it, be it comedic or semi-serious or serious.

I agree that on the street, you want to use a gimmicked one to reduce problems such as getting stuck, losing an audience, or any other problems that might arise performing on the street.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Lee Earle used to finish with the straight jacket in his magic years. I got his jacket from him and used it too. It can often garner standing ovations. My jacket I got from him is gaffed and I too got incredible response from it.

A couple things to look at...

First, a crotch strap does not come on all jackets but can be very good comedy. Just make sure you have an adult helping you.

Second, make sure the jacket fits. Lee Earle is average as I am. I don't know that my jacket would fit a bigger performer.

I also noticed you asked about a gimmick being noticeable. I never had it noticed and I did this escape in close quarters but probably only around fifty or so times. As part of my routine I put the jacket on the assistant. They never noticed the gaff.

If you are planning to hang upside down I would put a lot of thought into that technique. I can't give you a link but I read about someone doing the upside down escape. He fell and is paralysed.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
"Lovell Live".

Great video. He also has a VERY entertaining cards across that would be EXCELLENT on the street.

Great video. As are the rest of his videos.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
The first escape I did was about 15 years ago. Now they have become as common as C&B. Who can lay claim to origanal escape I don't know but it can work on the streets for sure.

My suggestion is don't watch any one else do it but come up with your own routeen. Their is loads of scope with it and loads of fun.

If you ever see any one pour a chain out of a bucket, all if they form a loop at one end to catch folk that pass by. Well they stole that of me.
Mario
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yeah who ever knows who the first of anything really is. We can often know who is the first to publish and take credit but that's about it.

The young performer I mentioned doing the Straight Jacket escape was over 40 years ago! I doubt he was the first but then maybe he was!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Don't bother unless it is an upside down strait jacket escape.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The struggle, up close and personal on the street, a good line of chatter can carry this. Upside down is nice but not totally necessary. Still, if you have a good portable rig it does lend visual interest (and makes the trick ever so much easier!).
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Houdini could do some of his escapes "easily" but would hold the spectators in great suspense by prolonging his appearance. You can't sit behind a screen, waiting, on the street, for suspense time to pass. But how about making something big of a countdown time? Maybe use a small chalkboard and get the spectators to give ideas of how long [seconds, minutes] you will take to get out. Write a series of these times down and pick one as your target time - maybe a spectator up near you calling out the passing 10 seconds as he holds a large clock/stopwatch [doublesided? so that both he and the spectators see the minute hand moving. Other spectators join in calling out the passing time. Of course, you would know the time you can get out in, but you act the part of it being difficult. And you emerge the hero by only just beating the set time. Hmm, that reminds me of that Youtube couple on the stage struggling to see who can get out of straight jacket, versus chair tie, first. Its a hillarious act. In fact, I think this was subconsciously in my mind as I wrote. See Harry Anderson Magic Act http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMY5RguBWnk&feature=related
The presentation makes the magic.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It is all going to be new to me. Even though I have a plan together, I do not know if it will work yet. I do want to try it upside down. Someone sent me a PM regarding instructions on making a portable rig. But the flow of blood going to the head is a big question to me. I wonder if I can take the pressure after performing each 12 minute block. Comedy might fit in better for me. Someone sent me a PM regarding good advice on steps of escaping. I will never know until I get the jacket and play with it and find out what fits me better.
Metatron
View Profile
Elite user
Port Orchard, Washington
436 Posts

Profile of Metatron
Dynamike

I highly reccomend giving it a go. A friend and I performed just the straight jacket on the streets of Hollywood Blvd back in 1979/80. Got giant hat$ everytime! The routine only lasted about 10 to 12 minutes. We would do about 4 shows an hour. Did it so much it wore a couple straps out and had to replace them with leather ones!

I would get a ungimmicked jacket complete with side loops and crotch strap.

Having an assistant (not an audience member) to time and to direct who ever is straping you in, is the best, and let your assistant do the crotch strap!

The pitch was to beat Houdini's Two Minute record. Have an assistant loudly count down the time. I.E. "Two Minutes GO! ... A minute 30 ... 1 Minute , ... 45 seconds ... , 30 seconds, ... 15 14 13 12 10 9 8 7 6. Your out and throw the Jacket hard at the ground yelling STOP!. I found this count down slowly increasing in pitch and tempo REALLY gets the audience to dig deep in their pockets.

It only really takes 30 - 45 seconds to escape from a real straight jacket once you have it down, but delay and put on your best struggling act for the remainder of the time, timing it to get out with 5 or 6 seconds left. It's a hit try it and see.

-Metatron
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Mike, it's great seeing you're at it, at it, at it! When I feel lazy, thinking about you gets me going.

With the `Straight Jacket', thought I'd give you a different angle here,.. a push off to the side. Reading thru the Posts so far; what nine ,.. ten folks say how well, great, fantastic they've seen it done,.. or done by themselves. All true, I'm sure. But that would make me say, "hmm, let's try something else."

Just a thought,.. but, you're springing into new water anyway. Why not make it fresh water!

What might be a great idea for a Forum, here in the Café, would be an "Effect Pool". A place where folks could type in an idea for a good Illusion. Wouldn't have to solves the techniques. Just a base of what they think would be cool to see.

all the best Mike,
gallagher
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
I use a real strait jacket for my finale. Most of the people in my area have never seen one before (unless they've seen my show) and are usually pretty stoked by it. I think it really depends on your style and personality. I'm a wild man from a rock n roll background so the jacket fits me perfectly. (pun intended) I honestly believe that it's the coolest thing I've ever done. Don't worry about whether to many people are doing the strait jacket escape. There's a lot more guys on the street playing guitars than there are magicians. And most of the magicians aren't doing the escape. And all of them are making money. I say go for the real thing. If you know what you are doing you will not get stuck. I believe my act goes over well because they know it's real and they know it's on as tight as it will get. People often tell me "I was worried for a while that you weren't going to get out." I guess I'm a good actor, heh.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mike, all I see is you TALKING about doing shows. No matter what you use for a finale your act will fail if you talk about it. You have to PERFORM the show. Then if you make a decent hat THAT'S your finale, if you make zilch, rewrite.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Paddy, before I perform the show I want to collect information from those who are willing to give me advise. That is what two ears are for. I like how the professionals are spending their time supporting me my goals. If you do not know what I am talking about start from beginning of this thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Strait Jacket Escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL