The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Verbal Magic-Juan Tamariz (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
259 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
WAIT! What I meant to say is I do NOT like the fact that they don't describe the effect. Sorry.
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Delete. Sorry.
Xtreme Manipulator
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Xtreme Manipulator
In my pointless opinion, Juan can do no harm.
Xtreme Manipulator
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Xtreme Manipulator
In my pointless opinion, Juan can do no harm.
Ellanisimo
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Ellanisimo
I loved this book and specially the first trick with 10 cards and his concept with prime numbers.I haven't seen this concept in ANY other source.

Again,Juan, you are the vernon of our time

Ellen
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Can anyone tell me what kind of material is in this book? What kinds of things would the spectator need (cards, coins, slips of paper, etc.)?

Josh
Josh
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 14:31, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
Can anyone tell me what kind of material is in this book? What kinds of things would the spectator need (cards, coins, slips of paper, etc.)?

Josh

Hi Josh,

This link should answer a few questions - I hope! Smile

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/c......l-magic/

Best,
Vlad
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Thanks Vlad! A lot of help. I think I'll pick it up.
Josh
o.
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of o.
I would love to pick this up. Anyone who read it recently?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I’ve studied this book several years ago and I’ve combined several methods contained in the book to create two routines which are now in my stage repertoire (each member of the audience has a deck in front of him). There is wonderful principles in this book. As usual with Tamariz. It costs $ 35, namely nothing compared to what you can do with it.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I performed three times on the radio using material from this book.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Of course, Tamariz has a distinct style, and his presentations are juste a guide. Building our own routine with the principles in the book is obviously something we have to do. As always…
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
When I did this material, it was totally necessary to change the approach. Tamariz's style and persona are definitely not mine!

In these tricks, you have the spectators do actions that seem totally random. At various points, they are allowed to make choices. It all seems so haphazard. In the end, however, they are surprised that the cards, everybody's cards, have arranged themselves in a certain way. Or everybody is left with the same card, an ace. Etc.

Reading and learning the scripts does not mean you will automatically be able to perform the tricks. Since the tricks require you direct the actions of the spectators, you need to be absolutely clear as to what you want them to do.

Doing the tricks (three) on the radio was a learning experience. I had never done anything like that before. For instance, I learned that laypeople refer to spot cards as number cards. This had never been a problem when doing normal performances because the spectators can see the cards. On the radio, they cannot, and so it is important to refer to spot cards as number cards to avoid confusion. Little things like that.

At the start, I handed out the appropriate cards to the DJ and other people in the studio and had them follow along as I stepped through the routine myself while, at the same time over the microphone, guiding the (invisible) audience in radioland as to what actions they were to take. Those in the studio could see me and see what I was doing, and could ask questions, which facilitated the performance.

Many people I talked to who heard the performance and tried to follow along were unable to do so. One problem was I was going too fast. The people in the studio, however, were able to follow along and they were impressed. Their reactions were conveyed to the listening audience, and so it wasn't a complete loss.

It's definitely easier to perform these tricks "live," so that if there is any confusion, you can show the spectators what you want them to do. But Juan Tamariz, himself, performed them on the radio. He also concentrated on performing for the people in the studio.

I happened to know someone who knew someone who did an hour talk/music radio show once a week on a local station, only about 10 minutes from my house. I asked him if he could set it up for me to perform. The studio people were enthusiastic about it because doing magic on the radio seemed such a wild idea.

It was a fun experience. These little studios are all over the country. If you know of one, you might see about getting on and doing some of the tricks from Verbal Magic.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I second Ray, I worked very hard on clarity for the instructions. It’s better live. And keep in mind that you have to slow down, you will always be too fast.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
For me it all started with the four aces trick that Dan Harlan had out on a download after that I was simply hooked on this kind of verbal magic so Penguin Magic gave me a $5 gift certificate towards the purchase of this book I have started reading it yesterday and already performed two of the effects for my wife which she absolutely loved my one bit of advice to anyone reading this book read it with a deck of cards in hand so you could follow line by line while performing the effect this goes a long way I repeat I would not try to read this book without a deck of cards in hand. Also read very carefully the words he says sometimes he'll say put a card in the deck and you would have to realize he's talking about the deck that is on the table not the one you may have in your hand at the time so read it carefully and I think most will be able to work these out with no problem. This is a great book and I honestly believe magicians should have this at least on their shelf for reference.

Good magic to all,

Eric
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
I had read the book a long time ago and, to my shame, was somewhat dismissive of the effects. Part of this may have been Tamariz's style and commentary which I could never have pulled off. However, seeing how Dan Harlan has successfully adapted and performed some of these stories has demonstrated how ANY trick requires thought and personalization before I should be performing it. Thank you Juan, thank you Dan!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Verbal Magic-Juan Tamariz (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL