The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Premonition/Brainwave hybrid? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I just bought the e-book of Eddie Joseph's classic card effect "Premonition," and it's got me thinking....

I've long been fascinated with the basic plot of having a merely thought-of card vanish from one deck and reappear within another deck -- a deck of a contrasting color, to "prove" that the thought-of card really did migrate from one deck to the other.

In "Premonition," a merely thought-of card vanishes from its deck; the cards are even counted, and the deck is found to consist of only 51 cards. In the original routine, the missing card is subsequently produced from the pocket.

But what if the missing card is instead found within a second deck -- a deck of a different color?

Would a Brainwave deck work for this sort of revelation of the missing card from the first deck?

I don't own a Brainwave deck, so I cannot say with certainty that I fully understand its nature (though I have an idea); but it seems to me, from what I know of its basic effect, that it could be used in this manner. Is there anything I'm unaware of about the Brainwave deck which would prevent it being used in this fashion?

If the first deck is a red deck, for instance (so that it is presumably a red-backed card that vanishes), can an otherwise all-blue Brainwave deck display any desired card reversed and with a red back?

For that matter, would it *have* to be reversed? Or could a Brainwave deck be "reworked" to show a single red-backed card among a fully spread blue-backed deck -- which, when turned over, is the thought-of card?

I'm asking because I don't know....

Beyond that, any thoughts on the merit, practicality, or other aspects of this idea would be welcome. I'm kind of new to this sort of thing, so I'd appreciate any comments, advice, insight, opinions, etc. Thanks!
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Brainwave definitely would work in the manner you describe but if you wanted the card to be facedown you would have to make your own deck. However you will need to brainwave decks to do exactly what you describe. If the reason for this confuses you send me a pm.

Gil
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Karnak, what you are describing sounds like Dunninger's Delight.

See here - http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=J2oPW0G3rSk
Magic is a vanishing art.
micromega123
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of micromega123
Check out thoughtless also

see here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKFw6nCAP8o
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Unfortunatly, they will have to name the card before it is revealed.
This be true, if you are looking for the color convincer, why not check out RED SEA Passover. The same premis could be done with an entire deck and is discussed in another thread, but unlike using R/S, you could not hand out the card.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I do recall reading about RED SEA PASSOVER elsewhere among these boards. From what I recall (if I recall correctly), it does sound like a similar effect, albeit using fewer cards than two entire decks. Interesting.

I've checked with a few online dealers' websites, but so far I haven't managed to find it. I'll keep looking; in the meantime, does anyone just happen to know who might carry it?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Um.. did you try google?
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On 2008-12-14 03:54, AaronishMagic wrote:
Um.. did you try google?

Um... of course I tried Google. No luck.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
If you want the card to appear facedown you can use an ultra-mental deck (invisible deck) wich you will have to alter to work with the different color back idea (actually you'll need to make up two decks and bring out the appropriate one after the thought of card is mentioned).

If you decide to use a brainwave deck sou still need two of them.

The premonition deck needs to be of a third color.

A good ruse for the problem of bringing out the deck after the card is mentioned (it would be stronger if it just lay on the table the whole time)can be found on one of Michael Close's videos (the ultimate workers vol 2), the explanation of the trick codachrome.

Another good trick with the ultra mental deck can be found in Darwin Ortiz's book At the card table, Do as I did, page 140. It takes the heat of the special deck so people who knows about it have no clue.

Mikael Johansson
Sweden

ps.
http://www.worldmagicshop.co.uk/passover......910.html
http://www.circlecitymagic.com/product.p......&page=93
a review: magicreviews.blogspot.com/2006/03/simon-aronson-red-see-passover.html
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Two Deck Coincidence put out by Repro Magic in the seventies accomplished what you describe and was quite close to the original in method, no R & S required.

Premonition was more or less identical to an earlier effect, Bill McCaffrey's Prize Winner. Additional thoughts/variations on the effect "Premonition, A Prize Winner" by J. G. Thompson Jr. can be found in Bob Nelson's "Still More Miracles in Mentalism".

If going the R/S route you could always check out David Regal's "Flight of Fancy" from "Up Close and Personal". Whilst the card is not actually 'thought of' the routine is structured in such a way that the spectator remembers the card he was thinking of disappeared cleanly from one deck and appeared in another.

But think about this, if you knew what card would be thought of and removed it from the deck beforehand, why would you go to the trouble of sticking in in another deck so it takes longer to find? It does make more sense to remove it from your pocket, an envelope or wallet.

If you need to reveal it at all that is. Peter Duffie has what could be considered a modern descendant of the original effect, his "Vanished or Gone" can be found on p.142 of his book "Effortless Card Magic" (the effect itself was also marketed under another name).

Paul.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Ummmmmmmmmmmm....

This is a VERY interesting topic for me, as I must admit that, as a lifelong student of the art of magic, I have been a HUGE fan of Brainwave (God I loved meeting the Professor at the Faucett Ross Magic Fest and staying up all night with him two nights in a row talking magic and watching that man handle a deck of cards).......but.....

I don't know if the word "derivitive" is appropriate here, but, in my opinion, you can still present the "big picture" of Brainwave, which is, I believe, from the audience's perspective "The card you thought of has a different color than the rest of the deck" as a kicker to the fisrt part of the trick which is "look...your card is the only one in the deck that's face up".

So, Is B'Wave a "Derivative" of Brainwave? I would say so, yes.

Is it better? Good question. In fact, VERY good question....

Honestly, based on spectator's reactions to B'Wave ( I perform it both with Poker Size cards closeup and Jumbo Cards for platform and stage....and I add an Elmsley count at first to "sell" the fact that all the cards are face down...it's stronger..Spectator's are pretty much dumbfounded by the B'Wave kicker.

Would they remember seeing a magician perform B'Wave VS Brainwave years later? I think not........THIS to me is an even MORE INTERESTING question....especially when it comes to card tricks.

Honestly, the only card trick that people have told me that they remember seeing years later is Paul Curry's "Out of This World." If you think about it, that's saying a LOT! I want to do strong, memorable magic!

If you take the time to sell it and point it, Out of The World is Still a KILLER card trick, in my opinion.

Having said that, I made up a set of Red Sea Passover cards, I have Simon Aronson's book,and I'm studying the routine now to see how I could "sell" this....I'm somewhat fascinated by the "card you thought of being the odd color card going across" idea.....

I'm just wondering, for me and my style, how strong this will be compared to Brainwave or B'Wave...or is it just "different", overall........won't know until I try, I guess....
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
Two Deck Coincidence is basically Repro Magics (England) version of PREMONITION OUTDONE by Stan Lobenstern. Premonition Outdone should be easier to find as it is still available from ABBOTT MAGIC for $10. The only real difference between the 2 effects is the color of the deck you intitally start from and the "make" of the cards. There is also a DELUXE PREMONITION OUTDONE of which I have found one copy....the diffrence being poker size cards on the latter version. You can review the effect & purchase if you so choose on line, directly from Abbotts.

Mike
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Below are direct links for more info
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Premo......tion.htm
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Premo......utdn.htm

I also include Bombay because I really like the method
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Bombay-by-Edd......mboy.htm

Premonition Outdone comes with the cards (2 decks), the other 2 are manuscripts/small books. All are currently in stock.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
This is not exactly as your description, but it's pretty close and it's also from Eddie Joseph

A Prediction From Bombay
http://trickshop.com/open_prediction.html
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
In revisiting this old thread, I do see now that the effect I originally described might best be achievable by basically performing Dunninger's Delight (wherein a selected card is made to vanish from a deck while in the spectator's hands, only to reappear elsewhere in an unlikely location -- envelope, wallet, under a Buddha statue, wherever), and simply making the "impossible location" where the missing card turns up be within a deck of a contrasting color (perhaps even reversed within that deck, a la Brainwave, just for effect) which has been in view the entire time.

Equivoque could be used at the start of the effect to insure the spectator "freely chooses" the Dunninger's Delight deck to work with, out of the two decks of contrasting color placed upon the table at the outset.

However, I'm not actually familiar myself (yet) with the precise working/method of Dunninger's Delight, so I can't be 100% positive about being able to use it in this fashion. Any reason it couldn't work as described?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Premonition/Brainwave hybrid? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL