The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Unknown Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
Hello. I recently purchased an illusion from a magic estate auction. It is some sort of production for an assistant. I was told that it was used in Reveen's show and was built by Owen's however there is a stamp on the bottom that says Gem Magic. Does anyone know what this illusion is? I will add a link to a photo of this illusion.

I also purchased an Abbott's Temple of Benares and am wondering what vintage it is. The paint job is quite different from their current Temple design. Does anyone know when this Temple was made? I will add a link to a photo of this as well.

I appreciate any help on this!

Thanks.
Richard

Unknown Illusion Picture
http://www.richardsherrysmagic.com/image......ized.jpg

Temple Picture
http://www.richardsherrysmagic.com/image......ized.jpg
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Unknown illusion looks like a giant square circle type effect. The larger versions of them, which I have one, are square with the inner box square too.

Reveen is still around and performing, you may want to contact him and see what he says.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I agree with the Square Circle assessment, but the silkscreen job looks a lot like some old Abbott's or Bob Kline stuff that I have.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
Thanks for the tips. The illusion is similar to a Square Circle but it has a black false panel behind the painted face.There is no circle or square principle involved. This panel creates the black art effect. It doesn't seem to be a circle square so I was wondering what it was called. This is beautifully built and even has a hidden flash pot that is triggered when the panel is slid down.

Thanks again
Richard
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
You may also want to contact Owens Magic to see if they have a clue as well. It does look very well made but not sure what it is.

Robert
cromano
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of cromano
John Pomeroy (1938-2000) along with his wife Mitsy operated Gem Mfg. Co. out of Edmonds, Washington for many years. He was a master craftsman. Perhaps he made your illusion.
Best Regards,
Chuck Romano
www.chuckromanomagic.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Regarding the Temple, I'm not sure of the vintage but I suspect it is one of their early models. I say that because the paint job is much more in keeping with Jack Chanin's original design (particularly the perspective of the "inner doors" on the front doors), and Abbott's started making the illusion shortly after Chanin introduced it...without his permission.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Jack Chanin's ??????????????

Don't you mean Jack Gwynne?? (Don't believe they are on and the saem?)

B
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Richard,

The unknown illusion looks a lot like Abbott's Chinese Idol. They sold plans for this illusion (I have a set) and it might have been built from them. Here's the description of their plans:
http://www.magicgettogether.com/mm5/merc......Code=IP8

Send me a PM and I'll discuss the differences between the Chinese Idol and a Square Circle.

Michael
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

RE: the Temple, I do not think it is an Abbott's.

I have two, one from the 40/50's and one from much later (60/70's).

Both have the dull look to them, and they have the multi-coulored roofs.

The other clue is the staircase, the one on your photo does not look like the standard Abbott's set, VERY different.

Perhaps it was a special?

Re: The black art production. Owens has their own style for this illusion and I think it is too "simple" to be of their manufacture, unless it was a "quickie" that Peter wanted for a reason. Again it has the spray stncils (from the photo, and they don't seem to be "crisp")

Post if you hear who made them.

B
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Hey Michael,

I think Richard spells out the diiferece in his post re. Chinese Idol vs. Square Circle.

B
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 15:17, Blair Marshall wrote:
Hey Michael,

I think Richard spells out the diiferece in his post re. Chinese Idol vs. Square Circle.

B

Oops, I didn't see that! (I was trying to be subtle on the explanation!)
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Whats the apparatus in the photo from and out of site in front the sq circle? Looks pretty old too!!
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 14:52, Blair Marshall wrote:
Jack Chanin's ??????????????

Don't you mean Jack Gwynne?? (Don't believe they are on and the saem?)

B

LOL...I did indeed mean Jack Gwynne. Why I wrote Chanin I'll never know.
:blush:
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Good grief, just reread my posts above. Please forgive the spelling errors, not sure what the heck was going on when I wrote them. At it would seem you understood them, I guess it's still good!!! LOL

B
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I would bet good money Pomeroy built the unknown piece. He built a lot of these types of production devices in different sizes. I almost had him build me one large enough for a person when I was first getting into magic. The thing would have weighed a ton with how sturdy he built his props.

~Aaron
Zaubern Smile
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The panel principle is also used in the "Boy to Rabbit" Illusion, although the box is not so ornate. You could probably use it for that purpose if you wanted to.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Spellbinder beat me to it .. yes, the first thing that came to mind is the "Boy to Rabbit" illusion.

Mystery solved, you only got me by 45 minutes .. dang!

Steve
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Quote:
On 2008-10-24 01:16, Chezaday wrote:
Spellbinder beat me to it .. yes, the first thing that came to mind is the "Boy to Rabbit" illusion.

Mystery solved, you only got me by 45 minutes .. dang!

Steve

I bet you hated the math in the school. Smile
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Ouch .. you got me, for some reason it was actually 12:15am central time when I replied.

Oh well ...

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Unknown Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL