The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making bounce/ no bounce balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Is it possible to make these? (I'm on my third set - can't stop losing them!)

Has anyone ever cut a no-bounce open to see what's inside?
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
No bounce balls are Butyl rubber which is used in trainers for shock absorbtion...

http://www.dunecraft.com/resources/viceversaball.htm
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...cross trainer (running) shoes.

Mark. Smile
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Great info! Thanks.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Wait a minute...butyl rubber? I use that stuff at work -- it's packed in a caulking tube and applied as a sealant in construction. I don't think I wanna mold that goop or in any wise work with it more than necessary. Wouldn't it have to be vulcanised to be usable as a ball? That means molds, heating apparatus...this doesn't sound very economical.

(Not to rain on a parade here, just looking at the cost-to-benefit ratio and thinking out loud.) Smile
Epiphany
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
187 Posts

Profile of Epiphany
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 19:37, mindyourmagic wrote:
No bounce balls are Butyl rubber which is used in trainers for shock absorbtion...

Thank you for sharing this link. I found the short article very interesting.

Epiphany Jean
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
691 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I have an old book somewhere that I never returned to the library when I was a kid. It explains how to make these with a rubber handball. Cut a small slit in one with an exacto knife and use a funnel to fill it with sand. Glue up the slit (do this along the seam of the ball so there's no difference in appearance) and you've got a non-bouncing ball. Heavy as hell I imagine, but non-bouncing.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-10-26 14:14, Epiphany wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 19:37, mindyourmagic wrote:

Thank you for sharing this link. I found the short article very interesting.

Epiphany Jean

You are welcome Epiphany, I only just realised that it may have applications for your company... By the way, I look forward to getting my grubby little hands on my new cups Smile

Bri
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
This may seem a stupid idea,but has anyone ever thought of making a dual use ball,one half bouncy the other half dull.
I should imagine getting a tennis size ball and making the two halves,one receptive and one dull,pretty easy,though for the life of me I can't think of an application for it.
As I said,maybe a stupid idea?
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Epiphany
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
187 Posts

Profile of Epiphany
I was curious about possibly changing the composition of existing super bounce balls. I just finished trying several different types and one brand in particular worked. I just need to find out which company my father purchased these from.

Epiphany Jean
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

I remember when I was a kid getting a set which allowed you to mould your own bouncy balls as a stocking filler. Not sure if you could play with the components used and make your own... I'll try to find something online but it was over 25 years ago!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Well, it looks like they are still available (which doesn't make me feel too old!)

http://www.jokeshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewi......jokeshop

Not sure if they would work but I guess you could add something to the powder to stop it bouncing, either way you get a few moulds....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making bounce/ no bounce balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL