The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » WOW (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2008-12-24 11:01, vinsmagic wrote:
Hi Gaffed I respect your opinion and you make some very valid points. However if you get a chance to see Bernard Billis perform this effect You may change your the way you thing about wow.
I believe it is on you tube some where
vinny

Hi Vinny,
Perhaps you misunderstood me. (read my earlier posts on this thread)
I own WOW and love it. I was simply referring to the way it's performed as in the instructions. WOW is a terrific tool that must be presented (in my opinion) in a different fashion.

~gaffed~
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Gaffed sorry my bad.
yes I did misunderstand
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
The Bernard Bilis performance can be watched here:

http://video.filestube.com/video,a754263627718dc303e9.html

The basic story (for the non-French speakers out there) is that he has someone select a card, sign it and place it between two jokers. The selection and two jokers are then put between the spectators hands so it cannot escape. Bernard then takes out a device (WOW) that mediums use to view ghosts. At first all that happens is that Bernard is able to use the device to name the card, then the image of the ghost appears in the device then finally he says he will try to trap the ghost in the device and sure enough, the signed card appears inside the device.

So the use of WOW is just part of a larger effect. I would guess that in the past (pre-WOW), the signed card ended up appearing back in the deck face up in an otherwise face down deck. Or the card appeared in a wallet etc. Bilis just uses WOW as another mechanism for the revelation.

Check it out if you want to inspire some good ideas on the use of WOW. You don't have to speak French to see how good this is.
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
By the way, don't click on the address I posted in my previous post as. Copy the entire link into your browser and then go that site. You need the information after the comma to find the video.

Todd
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Thanks for the link Todd.
I don't understand French (a wee bit of German) but that was pretty freaking....WOW!
And yet, some think of it as all too stupid and just some cheap looking gimmick!
To each his own as they say.

~gaffed~ Smile
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
Well, I do think it is a cheap looking gimick if you just take it out and do nothing with it. But as with everything else, it is all about the presentation. For me what makes the Bilis presentation work is that the card is trapped in the spectator's hands. So it isn't just a question of revealing the card. The spectator is also wondering how the heck did the magi get the card out from between the spectator's hands.

This thread is just like the discussions on ACR. Some people hate the effect because when done badly, it really can be a stinker of an effect. The card keeps coming to the top until the spectators' heads burst open. But when done well (I refer to Tommy Wonder on this one) it is amazing.
Xerses
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Xerses
Hi,

I've bought thi effect 6 month ago, on Ebay Just 35$ With Wow sleeve,

With wow, effects are Illimited, we can do realy everything, and with the Sleeve, it's perfect, because, everybody can take the 'wow' because with just a rapide change...
BUT, I think 60$ it's too much, because, we can't use everytime this gimmick, because it's a 6 of hearts or 5 of diamond Wow, if we do a trick with, and another, people will say 'Ow ! It's the same card'
So if I will note this I get just : 4/5 ^^

Thank you
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2008-12-28 04:32, Xerses wrote:
we can't use everytime this gimmick, because it's a 6 of hearts or 5 of diamond Wow, if we do a trick with, and another, people will say 'Ow ! It's the same card'
So if I will note this I get just : 4/5 ^^

It's up to you and your imagination in presenting it (and a good host of other magic tricks) other than as to the instructions given with them.
I have a reason for using the same card in my presentation and no one questions it. It's my "Magic Card". Old looking and somewhat faded.

~gaffed~
~Yogi Berra~

Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
I agree about the Tommy Wonder routine, it is awesome.
Truly a remarkable peice of magic.
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
I would add about the Tommy Wonder version that is also goes to prove that you don't have to be able to do technically impossible moves to have a great piece of magical enternatinment. Wonder's version, other than the MCF, isn't really that hard from a technical standpoint, but it is extremely entertaining.

Another example of a magic prop that can be used to great effect but can also be a dud is the Invisible Deck. It comes with the most lame set of instructions and can be done with no theatrics at all. Or, you can come up with some clever ideas. For inspiration on that one I would point to Jay Sankey who sells a DVD where he sells you the Invisible Deck and about 15 different ideas on performance approaches. I do not own this particular DVD, but have seen some of his Invisible Deck ideas on other DVDs and they are all very creative.

So whether you like Sankey or not, my point is that like WOW, invisible deck can be a great effect, or just another example of a card that is reversed in the deck trick. Because it, like WOW, is more or less self working, the performer is freed up to focus on the performance.

cheers,

Todd

P.S. I think this post gets me to post 100... Yeah!!!!!
feifei
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
186 Posts

Profile of feifei
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 22:27, lylemagic wrote:
I have never liked this trick. Is it visual? Yes! But someone PLEASE TELL ME what is the "MOTIVATION" for putting a card into a plastic slip? It makes absolutely NO SENSE to me!

One justification for using the plastic sleeve is that you tell the specs that most magician use sleight of hand to change the cards. But you'll put it in the plastic sleeve which you use to keep/protect xx collectible cards, so the card is in the sleeve it would be impossible/difficult for you to exchange the card without the spec noticing it. To prove that there's no slight of hand and real magic do happen, the card visually changes, hand the card for examination while you switch to an ungimmick case which also to be examined. The specs will think, wow.. it really was encased in the sleeve how did he changed it without being notice... he couldn't have palmed it... if you can convince the specs that the sleeve is ungimmick and normal, they will be WOWed! If you don't hand the sleeve out for examination... later in the day the spec will think 'oh.. it must be a special sleeve doh'
fotballski
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
183 Posts

Profile of fotballski
Quote:
On 2009-01-06 00:45, feifei wrote:
Quote:
I have never liked this trick. Is it visual? Yes! But someone PLEASE TELL ME what is the "MOTIVATION" for putting a card into a plastic slip? It makes absolutely NO SENSE to me!

One justification for using the plastic sleeve is that you tell the specs that most magician use sleight of hand to change the cards. But you'll put it in the plastic sleeve which you use to keep/protect xx collectible cards, so the card is in the sleeve it would be impossible/difficult for you to exchange the card without the spec noticing it. To prove that there's no slight of hand and real magic do happen, the card visually changes, hand the card for examination while you switch to an ungimmick case which also to be examined. The specs will think, wow.. it really was encased in the sleeve how did he changed it without being notice... he couldn't have palmed it... if you can convince the specs that the sleeve is ungimmick and normal, they will be WOWed!

Right off the Bat!
You can use the ungimmicked version for other tricks where you set a card aside as a prediction. You can have the spectator examine the ungimmicked version for that trick, so that they are absolutely shure it's just a plastic case. you make a switch after that trick, and lay the gimmicked one on the table for the rest of the performance. When you do WOW the gimmicked one, you look for something to isolate the card, and the wow thing just happens to be there. make shure that they think you took whatever was around at that time. do the transformation ,and they'll never think the wow thing is gimmicked.

And if they DO think it is gimmicked after all this, you have already switched it back to the ungimmicked version, you clever sausage.
"Someone creates a trick, many people perfect it, but its final success in front of an audience depends on the person who presents it"

René Lavand
fotballski
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
183 Posts

Profile of fotballski
[quote]On 2009-01-08 11:36, fotballski wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-01-06 00:45, feifei wrote:
Quote:

One justification for using the plastic sleeve is that you tell the specs that most magician use sleight of hand to change the cards. But you'll put it in the plastic sleeve which you use to keep/protect xx collectible cards, so the card is in the sleeve it would be impossible/difficult for you to exchange the card without the spec noticing it. To prove that there's no slight of hand and real magic do happen, the card visually changes, hand the card for examination while you switch to an ungimmick case which also to be examined. The specs will think, wow.. it really was encased in the sleeve how did he changed it without being notice... he couldn't have palmed it... if you can convince the specs that the sleeve is ungimmick and normal, they will be WOWed!

Right off the Bat!
You can use the ungimmicked version for other tricks where you set a card aside as a prediction, and you want to make shure that it is impossible to switch that card later as it is isolated and IN FULL VIEW!! This of course, sets the fair conditions when you actually perform WOW. You can have the spectator examine the ungimmicked version for that trick, so that they are absolutely shure it's just a plastic case that you for eksample use for your buisness cards, name tag, or whatever. You make a switch after that trick, and lay the gimmicked one on the table for the rest of the performance. When you do WOW the gimmicked one, you look for something to isolate the card, and the WOW thing just happens to be there. make shure that they think you took whatever was around at that time. do the transformation,and they'll never think your plastic card holder was gimmicked.

And if they DO think it is gimmicked after all this, you have already switched it back to the ungimmicked version,leaving them sleepless for the rest of their lives, you clever sausage.
"Someone creates a trick, many people perfect it, but its final success in front of an audience depends on the person who presents it"

René Lavand
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I use the un-gimmicked sleeve although I've never had anyone inspect it.
You're making things much more complicated than they need to be. If you take the time to work out a good routine and have a good reasoning for using the sleeve you're all set to go. As the old saying goes; "Don't run if your not being chased!"

~gaffed~ Smile
~Yogi Berra~

fotballski
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
183 Posts

Profile of fotballski
Quote:
On 2009-01-08 23:39, gaffed wrote:
I use the un-gimmicked sleeve although I've never had anyone inspect it.
You're making things much more complicated than they need to be. If you take the time to work out a good routine and have a good reasoning for using the sleeve you're all set to go. As the old saying goes; "Don't run if your not being chased!"

~gaffed~ Smile

Come to think of it, you're absolutly right!

René Lavand
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Not to mention "What's the point in running if you're running down the wrong road....."
Jahno
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Jahno
And now ladies and gentleman, please enjoy as I pull out this strange, corduroy bag and from it take out this shiny metal cup. Don't worry, the bag is normal; look, it's also my performing surface. Now, from the cup we find a crocheted ball, just like the ones I'm sure you all carry around with you. I shall now place the ball in my pocket, even though I just took took the bag containing the cup which held the ball from that same pocket. Oh look! The little, ordinary, bright red crochet ball is back under the metal cup. Obviously I could do this with a clear drinking glass like the ones you have on the table, but isn't my shiny, metal cup so much nicer to look at? The ordinary, red, crocheted-cork ball goes back in the pocket. It must be under my my shiny, metal cup. Let's look. OH! A lemon! (pause) and now a lime! Yes yes, ladies and gentleman, a lemon and a lime because obviously the best use of my magical powers is to produce fruit that's only use is to be squeezed into an existing drink.

Sorry. All this talk about justifying the use of the plastic sleeve got me thinking about how silly it is to try and justify some of the things we do. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like "wow." Everyone who I've ever shown "wow" too enjoyed it and so far no one really seems hung up on that fact that every once in a while instead of making a card change by placing my entire hand over the deck and then moving it away and suddenly there is a different card on the face, they get to actually see it happen.
fotballski
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
183 Posts

Profile of fotballski
But I already made that clear.

The motivation, though is important to set the effect up in their mind. Forget about them thinking it is gimmicked, but make shure that you remind them of the circumstances that you are performing in, (That you are isolating the card from everything else, making it impossible to do any type of sleight of hand)so that they can appretiate it giving a stronger impact on the audience. The motivation also gives a logical useage for the prop.

The other points I made was mere suggestions, and you may not want to do everything I listed. But doing some of the things does give a more impromptu feel, and makes the spectator conciously or unconciously appretiate the tight conditions you are performing in.

Remember that although there is no such thing as the fact that some things are more impossible than others, the audience still reacts more strongly when the conditions are very fair,thus making it more impossible.

Everyone performing Daryl's ambitious card improved knows that allthough a DB of a card, and then to place it in a middle, then snappin your finger, making it come to the top without touching the deck seems to be the same thing as placing the card in the middle with a rope going around the deck many times, fairly letting them see the card going in the middle, signed by many people on the face and the back, having a corner of the card missing then squaring everything up, holding the deck by the extreme end of the rope in your fingertips, THEN snapping and showing the card on top is MUCH STONGER (Not being angry here, just showing my point)than the previous one.

Just my two gimmicked chinese palming coins

Regards,

Daniel

René Lavand
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » WOW (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL