The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Matthew Design (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
After a recent conversation with Matt I believe that he has given up his previously held beliefs on style, and fashion. I am both surprised, and relieved, because one sloppy magician can give us all a bad name.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Al,

Where did you get your sparkly vest?

I remember seeing a link here on the Café to a place that had all different types of shirts and vests like that.

I am looking to see if they have other colors like blue or red, or possibly black as a short sleeve button down shirt.

-Matt
-Matt
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Matt
I have about five sequened vests. I found that with a department store T shirt, a sequened vest, and black dress pants work well. If you wear a tux shirt instead of a T shirt you are ready for a real formal affair without a tie. I found my vests by Googling "sequened vests". If you go to my web site you will see me in my purple vest, and a black T shirt. http://www.juggleral.com Go to my photo gallery and you can see how my wife dresses me. 20 years ago I had no fashion sense at all, but the more I listened to my wife the more women complimented me. You mentioned that no one ever complained about your clothes, but I have women all the time tell me that "I wish I could get my husband to dress like you" and we all know that the mom's controle the family entertainment budget. I look forward to meeting you this Sunday at MM 4.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Matthew,
I have not read every post here, but I can guess that they all have a common theme. Probably there are some valid points, but I'm guessing that not once has the underlying of issue of WHO you are on stage come up.

You and I have similar body shapes and knowing how to dress is only part of it. Here is what I am willing to do. PM me and I will give you my phone number. Call me and I will be happy to coach you pivately.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Matthew,

I haven't read through all the posts so I appologise if I'm repeating what's already been said.

1. As I'm sure you're aware and has probably been already pointed out, you MUST always dress one class above your audience. (My mentor, James Prince, who works at top class corporate functions where most of everyone is in 'black & white', wears a wedding day style 'costume' to go one better than them)

So far all your audiences have been wearing shorts & t-shirts, etc.

2. You're uncomfortable wearing suits, etc.

So here's a compromise for the audiences you've been performing for...

Wear the best quality jeans and t-shirt you can buy and wear a suit jacket with it (and some patent leather shoes...NOT trainers).

Hope this helps,

Martin.

P.S. Please, oh please, (I'm on bended knees begging you), DON'T wear sparkly/sequin suits! You may have heard the Paul Getner story...Paul Gertner was at a trade show talking to a client when some bloke in a green(?) sparkly and sequined suit walked up and introduced himself to Paul. The client asked the suited newcomer if he was a magician, to which the reply was "Of course, what else would I be?...". The client replied "Well, I figured that you were either a magician or a DORK!" The suited newcomer magician immediately slunk away with his tail between his legs!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Martin,

I don’t know that I would put the universal ban on sequins so quickly. There are venues where this is perfectly acceptable and admirable. Your targeted audience and character play a part also. And.....what if you are a dork? Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2008-10-24 09:12, Al Angello wrote:
Your idea of a magicians costume is my idea of a costume suitable for cleaning a swimming pool.

LOL
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I haven't worn shorts to any shows but that one talent show.

Not saying it is OK to wear, but I have seen some people in this thread wearing shorts at a performance. I honestly don't think they are that bad as long as they are at least nice.

-Matt
-Matt
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Umm...wow...ok matt, if you haven't already call john (big daddy cool), he'll help you out...

all the advice given here is pretty sound...it took me a long time to realize that money spent on your show clothes (costume) is money WELL spent...if you look like a professional, your audience will treat you like a professional...if you look like a bum, you have to work harder to prove you're not...

performing is a hard enough job already...no need to have to fight extra hard for the audience to accept you...
cougar
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of cougar
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 07:23, Matthew W wrote:
I haven't worn shorts to any shows but that one talent show.

Not saying it is OK to wear, but I have seen some people in this thread wearing shorts at a performance. I honestly don't think they are that bad as long as they are at least nice.

-Matt

Matt,
If you agree that you don't want to be represented this way maybe it is best to remove the "shorts pictures" from your site. Just a thought.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 14:38, JeffWampler wrote:
Umm...wow...ok matt, if you haven't already call john (big daddy cool), he'll help you out...

all the advice given here is pretty sound...it took me a long time to realize that money spent on your show clothes (costume) is money WELL spent...if you look like a professional, your audience will treat you like a professional...if you look like a bum, you have to work harder to prove you're not...

performing is a hard enough job already...no need to have to fight extra hard for the audience to accept you...

Thanks Jeff!

Matt, I didn't mention - this is coaching at no charge. Because costuming isn't just about putting on nice clothes, it is about putting on the RIGHT clothes, and there is no way anyone here can give you the correct advice without talking in depth with you about what you want to accomplish and who you are on stage (or want to be). So, call me. I'm here to take the time to help you be the best you can become.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Matthew, I would second the ideas of those who suggest taking a female shopping with you. You may think it's humiliating to let a woman help pick your clothes, but women tend to have an eye for that sort of thing.

It may feel odd at first playing Ken doll, but it works. 90% of the clothes in my closet purchased in the past 3 years were chosen for me by my wife. She gets to shop and I come out looking good. When we go out, my wife often notices other women looking at me. That never happened when I was picking all my own stuff Smile

Most women (unless they lack taste or you make them mad) will not choose things that aren't flattering for you. Sometimes you have to step outside your comfort zone when it comes to fashion to get a fresh look.

As for suits or even jackets, give them a try. It takes time to get used to wearing them, but once you do, you'll find it not so bad. When I was 18, I worked for a stock broker for a few years. It was shirt and tie everyday and suits a couple times a week if I was going to be seeing clients. After a few months, I had trouble being comfortable in jeans and t shirts on the weekend because I felt underdressed. That went away with time too.

My point is, if you want to make a chagne, you have to be willing to step outside your comfort zone a bit and find a few people you trust to give you honest feedback on what works.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
I am going to strongly disagree with the idea of having a female shop for you. They are the second worse person to make clothing recommendations for you (after a commissioned salesman.) You would be much better off having a male friend who knows a bit about clothing take you shopping.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
All my male friends are slobs Smile

I figure since I'm married, I only need to catch my wife's eye and as a general rule, she doesn't let me look mismatched or like a slob Smile

As I'm always looking to learn, why do you feel that women make bad shopping companions? I will agree with the sales person thing for the obvious reason.

Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Nothing against the gentler sex, but it is highly important to have clothing fit as well as possible and be comfortable. This is very difficult to achieve without you picking it out yourself.

Women's fashion tends to change much more rapidly then mens, and is more about design and flair then men's fashion. This is wonderful in the world of womenswear, but can be really tacky with men's clothing, which should be more about fit and quality. IMHO Girlfriend shopping is largely responsible for sartorial atrocities such as True Religion jeans and Kenneth Kole square toe shoes.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
They may also be responsible for the fit of Perry Ellis pants then. Every pair I have ever tried on both slacks and jeans seem to hug my crotch and make it very prominent. I think it's the woman's answer to the tight sweater Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Matthew Design (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL