The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Strung: The Ultimate Ring On Shoelace! By ASM » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Hope to see a updated demo that shows the effect from very start of the routine all the way to the end (including the ring being borrowed, the whole borrowing part should be shown). Cheers.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-10-25 22:54, Cory Chapin wrote:

Tim Trono knows me and has seen my work.

I have the utmost respect for Tim Trono as he has an extensive performing background. I wrote Tim about these effects since his name was mentioned in this thread. Tim gave me permission to share them.

From Tim:

"Cory's effects all read great but the methods were often very complicated. The ones I watched (several) required fairly heavy set up or manufacturing... so much so that most would not invest the time in these rather complicated manufacturing projects.

The instructional DVDs were very poorly produced. They were extensive but poorly laid out. None of the ones I watched ever showed just a straight on performance - either just to the camera or before a live audience. Thus one would question as to whether the material was ideas represented or truly effects tried and tested items. My guess would be the former. I advised Cory that the production of what I saw was less than acceptable. I was not convinced all of the effects would work/play as described. We opted to pass on the items I saw.

Tim"
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of Logan
Thanks for that insight Chris!
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Ta-da! Tim said the same thing I said but he's actually seen the videos. What does this mean? I'm a better mentalist than I thought! Either that or I was stating the very very very plain and obvious (there's this thing that I was born with... it's called a brain, I like to use it some times along with this other thing called... common sense/logic). I say the latter since we all know that we can't REALLY read minds.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
The effects LOOK awesome, but sorry Cory, coming from someone who knows first hand that video demos mean a lot, you have to be more specific and honest with how you are portraying your effects. It doesn't take a skilled magician to realize that you are leaving more than what's acceptable out of your demo videos and it makes you look extremely dishonest by doing so.

It's great that you have all of these ideas, but it seems like it'd be a better idea for you to produce some type of e-book that has a bunch of items in it, as opposed to trying to sell each thing by itself. If they are as complicated to construct and perform as they appear to be, you are bound to get a lot of bad reviews, and vibes, by your fellow magicians.

Good luck with everything. There is a lot of potential with the way you think and the ideas you have, I just think you are going about marketing them in the wrong way.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I believe in some other posts Cory has explained that everything he sells requires a considerable amount of prep and construction...he isn't hiding anything...use the search function.

It's not about the work you put in...it's the end result.

Nathan
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I've read all the posts and watched all of the videos, but thanks for assuming otherwise. There's a considerable amount of things he is hiding. I never said anything about the fact that these things take time and practice to build and perform. But leaving gaps in between a performance..

The way an effect looks could be the deciding factor of whether or not it's worth it to put all of the time and effort into it. And that's what is missing from a lot of Cory's demos. I give him all the kudos in the world for coming up with these things, but the way they are being marketed leaves a lot to be desired.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
He's not hiding anything but the demo videos are not true to how the effect will play out. It also completely disregards practicality on some of the effects. Go back and read earlier posts Nathan.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Honestly, I'm excited to hear Cory's response on all of this!
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Sure, he states that he made the demos the way he did for a reason. But there can be a considerable amount of things he is leaving out which could totally change the way an effect looks.

To me, that means he is hiding something.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I really don't have time to give a crap, but have fun whining...

Nathan
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Yet you have time to make a response.. interesting.

Everyone's got an opinion, I'm just stating mine.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I'm not sure why Nathan is so touchy on the subject of Cory's effects. Oh wells.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I'm not touchy...His effects haven't been proven yet...give him a chance...I don't even know the guy, but attacking people really doesn't solve anything.

If someone buys his stuff and it sucks, then crucify the guy.

I'm gonna buy something just to see for myself...and if it sucks, I WILL crucify him...

Walk a mile...

Nathan
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Ha ha ha. Well put Nathan. I honour you with the title of guinea pig Smile I hope it works well for you then I may just end up getting that signed coin in sealed baggie. From the looks of just the demos themselves, I'm not going to get my feet wet because that dupe coin in the baggie doesn't look too promising and there's no excuse for it unless it really IS part of the trick (have using a dupe, actually, can't even call it a dupe since dupes are identical, this one was just another coin). The demo for Strung also doesn't look too promising since there's only two scenarios possible with that effect solely from the demo alone. There may be some incredible workings there to make the ring jump to the lace but the demo looks pretty obvious for what he actually did.

Also, let me mention, he took Strung off his ASM site, supposedly he has a new and improved "easy" handling version called Re-Strung (this information I got directly from Cory). Look, though I'm coming down pretty hard on the guy, with demos that are extremely skewed to cover up very big faults in his effects, and then immediately coming out with a "new and improved" version of a effect that pretty much got torn down (apparently in response and in an attempt to try to cover up the fact that the original Strung was pretty badly priced and does not work like he implies it in his marketing), it really really really feels kind of shady doesn't it? Also when the creator himself refuses to give straight answers, not answers to questions in regards to method, but very very practical questions like "Why didn't you show the effect from the beginning?" and "Why was a duplicate coin used when the effect is supposedly the same coin at all times?" Honestly, he can't answer these questions because then the truth comes out that practicality of the effects are dearly lacking.

There's a LOT of implying going around with the ASM products. Never straight answers. Every other effect out there, the creator are more than happy to answer questions straight forwardly, which is certainly not the case here. Yes this may all sound a bit trite but at the end of the day, what this is all about is showing consumers how to be CAREFUL in their purchasing decisions which also sends out a message to creators to NOT try to pass a wolf in sheep's clothing. I've already told Cory that it's great that he has a vision and a goal but the problem is that he's stuck with just the vision and not execution. In effect, he doesn't seem to want to travel to that goal and instead is trying to just sell his visions to us instead of a actual working product. Kind of like trying to sell a shiny new car only to find that the engine is basically foot power like the Flinstones.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5653 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 19:37, Nathan Pain wrote:
I believe in some other posts Cory has explained that everything he sells requires a considerable amount of prep and construction...he isn't hiding anything...use the search function.

It's not about the work you put in...it's the end result.

Quote:
On 2008-10-26 21:40, Nathan Pain wrote:
I'm not touchy...His effects haven't been proven yet...give him a chance...I don't even know the guy, but attacking people really doesn't solve anything.

If someone buys his stuff and it sucks, then crucify the guy.

Tim Trono has said it all. Tim has given his verdict on the so called end result. kindly permit me to quote what Tim said:

"I was not convinced all of the effects would work/play as described. We opted to pass on the items I saw."

Thank you for the insight Chris!

Smile
P.S. Cory had very clearly mentioned that there will be NO negative reviews on any of his effects.

On the negative review, you may like to read THIS post and probably the topic as well.
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
It seems like he took that agreement off of his site, which was a good move. Ustaad, when you receive your free copy of Strung please post an honest review.
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I believe that he's skipping Strung and going for the kill with Re-Strung (a sequel to something that never came out! Brilliant! har har har).
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5653 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 22:30, magicman4646 wrote:
It seems like he took that agreement off of his site, which was a good move. Ustaad, when you receive your free copy of Strung please post an honest review.

Quote:
On 2008-10-26 22:06, kissdadookie wrote:
Also, let me mention, he took Strung off his ASM site, supposedly he has a new and improved "easy" handling version called Re-Strung (this information I got directly from Cory).

Hi Jeff,

Ah! Now I understand why I did not get my 'Okay' prize - Strung is no longer available. Smile Smile

And on the subject of ease of constructing the props:

Quote:
On 2007-12-31 03:15, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-31 02:28, Cory Chapin wrote:
* I just want everyone to know that some of the gimmicks take hours to make.

* If you don't have steady hands, you won't be able to construct most of them(Hard).

* Most of my stuff is so precision, that there is little or no room for error.

Hmmm! Interesting!!!

Quote:
On 2007-12-31 02:28, Cory Chapin wrote:
* If some one didn't pay attention to exactly what I was saying during the build, and there gimmick was a fraction of a hair off, the trick won't work. They might post a review that my effect was junk, when in fact they did not assemble it properly.

Ah! That's a close tolerance! In that case your ideas/ tricks/ gimmicks will NOT work for anybody, except for that one lone Rocket Scientist cum Magician hiding somewhere. Your effects seems to be a sheer waste of time & money - for the common magician.

This is what Tim Trono had to say:

"Cory's effects all read great but the methods were often very complicated. The ones I watched (several) required fairly heavy set up or manufacturing... so much so that most would not invest the time in these rather complicated manufacturing projects."

Enough for me! Smile

Thank you.

Back on Topic please.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
One man's opinion, albeit a respectable one...to each his own.

Nathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Strung: The Ultimate Ring On Shoelace! By ASM » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL