The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Old effect different presentation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

constantin
View Profile
New user
Germany
53 Posts

Profile of constantin
Hello guys and gals,

I am preparing myself somewhat for Heloween so I am trying to figure out some different presentations of known tricks.

The one I am thinking about now is a Voodoo version for the do as I do card effect. Somewhat inspired by Baba's postings here and in the anticipation of his book Smile

what I thought of is to tell the person you are going to do the effect with that you will put her under the Vodoo spell. You explain that they need to drink the powder that puts them under your influence and give them some concotion of your own creation (i was thinking of rum with stuff in it to make it not too tasty but also not to bad - some spices like cinnamon or cloves, or cola wit stuff for the "soft" version). You have of course candles burning and made the right atmosphere before by elling about Vodoo and having some nice props around on the table. After they drink you still talk a bit about Spirits and Magick and then take out a small Vodoo doll. You ask for something personal from your Asisstant (a ring or maybe even a hair or something like that) put it on the Vodoo doll. Then you tell them you hae them under your will and can make them do things you want to do and will exemplify this on a pack of cards (nice to have some old worn out decks maybe). Then you proceed with the effect but you make your moves first and say you have chosen a card. Then you put the vodoo doll on the deck and tell them to repeat your movements (well you make a bit of a show of this so it doesn't look like a normal card trick moves). Then you finish the effect.

I guess it could be coupled with a prediction and a fo*** or maybe some sw*** but even without that with proper presentation it could make a good effect I believe.

what do you think?

greets
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
It may be different in Germany, but giving a spectator a powder or a "potion" to drink might be to invite a lawsuit. I would be very careful with this.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Instead of drinking it, you could "annoint" them by dipping your finger in it and brushing them your finger on their forehead and/or cheek/chin.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
Also, A CARD TRICK FOR VOODOO? Maybe use Tarot Cards instead. Cards scream card trick.

Jamie Salinas
http://www.magicbyjamie.com
http://www.houstonseance.com
Jamie Salinas
constantin
View Profile
New user
Germany
53 Posts

Profile of constantin
Hey there!

Bill, I don't think one would get a lawsuit in Germany but I get your point. Clifford helped out on that one already Smile (btw. just out of curiosity what could the lawsuit charges be like?

Clifford, thank you very much! hah you solved the dilemma with the lawsuit and still there is some ritualistic aspect left to it. Great! Thank you!

Jamie, thank you very much for the suggestion I know what you mean. I was thinking of tarot myself but thought that don't know...With cards it is easier to find a justification to use them somewhat...they belonged to the old Francois from louisianna who was a witchdoctor but also a gambler and whom I met there a couple of years ago. I sorta became friends with him somehow and he taught me the things I do and gave the cards too for divination and so on (the cards look of course old and used some maybe with blood or other staines on them). Taro cards on the other hand I don't know...I think they don't really fit in there somehow. what do you think? or maybe do the trick with other objects? but which?

But what do you think of the presentation itself? is it too much? or maybe too clichee? would love to have some oppinions on that Smile details are always easy to deal with...but I think the thing as whole should be solid first Smile

thank you very much and greets

constantin
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Constantin, someone could claim that the potion or powder made them sick, or that you tried to poison them, or anything of that sort. Unfortunately, here in the US people are ready to sue at the drop of a hat. A well-known example is the woman who spilled a cup of hot coffee in her lap. I have read that a burglar can break into your house, injure himself, sue you, AND WIN! Anyway, Clifford's advice is good and solves the problem.

I think the presentation is basically good and not at all too much. Certainly, I think it can be worked into something worthwhile. The details will make or break it even if the foundation is sound.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
constantin
View Profile
New user
Germany
53 Posts

Profile of constantin
Bill excuse my pun but it is a bizzare world we live in. I did heard of the hot cofee and the burglar indeed. Sometimes I believe none of the tricks we do is weirder than the real world Smile

You are absolutly right the details can make or break it but I first wanted an assurance that the foundation was solid enough Smile Thanks a lot for your input!

greets
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Old effect different presentation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL