The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » sweating (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Caffeine might be the answer. I drink far too much coffee, and drink far too much Coke. I'l try the caffeine free stuff for a while.

Smile <<<--- Caffeine FREE
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Billy,

I feel compelled to tell you about the long kept secret women have...powder puffs...yup that's right powder puffs. Next time you're in the makeup section at the department store find powder (preferably the same tone as your skin) most come with a little powder puff or sponge thingie. Dab on your entire face..or else it will look funny if it's only on your forehead.

Remember purchase the one closest to your skin tone or else you'll look very pale or as if you've been sunning in the Bahama's (On the other hand you might like this look) ha ha.

If just the thought of this makes you sweat then go to a theatrical store..you'll find they have all sorts of makeup for men.

My mom had an expression that she told me as a kid..Horses sweat, Men perspire but Women glow. :O)

Good Luck Smile
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Billy if you take Crystals advice, please please please let me know so I can come and watch.

You in the make up department! I wouldn't miss that for the world.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI Emazdad/Billy,
Just do it if it helps, I suffer from dry skin on my scalp which is one reason (the other being I was going thin ontop) why I have my hair shaved so short. For years i thought I had dandruff and tried several shamppoos then the doctor said it was dry skin so I rub mosterisor into my scalp now
what with that and keeping my nails manacured because I do a lot of close up I am regularly in boots buying the required products. Frankly I could not care who sees me.
Phillip
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
This has been a real problem for me as well. Man! When beads of sweat get in my eyes I'm blind! I've tried several things. For one, I've cut the sleeves off my shirt to stay cooler under my jacket. I also keep an hand towel nearby by for a quick wipe (ever see a pentecostal preacher! There is a way of doing this with a rhythm...not that I've got it done yet).

I thought of using the "inexhaustable sponge" idea of working it into the routine...wipe your forehead and wring out a ridiculous amount of water every so often...like a lota bowl...could even end with the classic tossing out the bucket of confetti...

I think working it into the routine may be the best solution for some of us. Any more ideas along this line?
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I use a swaet band with my name emblazoned on it. It is actually used as part of my second trick in the show and I just leave it on until the finale.
For those with underarm sweating I am going to give you all some great advice. I used to literally ruin shirts and sports coats with this problem and nothing sold ever worked...until I tried an anti--persperant called Certain Dri. It is a real prescription strength formula. Sold at most large drugstores, one has to look closely for the rather unobtrusive white and green box amongst all the whoopdie doo brand names.
I can't say enough good things bout it. I have never wrecked a shirt since and sportcoats wear out sans stains and torn linings. Follow directions - it is magic.
My acid test was when I used it on a trip to Arkansas in the middle of summer and not a drop under the arms.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
Billy,
You can use a product called "No sweat". I use it with my clown outfit. I live in Okinawa and it gets plenty hot here. I just put it on my forehead otherwise it is a pain to take off. Also I just bought one of the personal A/C from Sharper Image that seems to help out lot.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
A Quick update on the sweating issue. I'm just back from doing the two shows I did last week where it was very busy and very hot. But this week........ NO SWEAT!

The solution........ I found some material that matches my waistcoat, and made a couple of bandana's (head scarfs). I realise this wouldn't suit everyones style, but it suits mine and it worked. The bandana absorbs all the sweat.

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Billy:

I am glad you got an answer for your problem.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
If you suffer from excessive sweating, you may have a medical condition called hyperhidrosis, which is not that uncommon. Here is a link to information and possible treatments.

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Hello,

Bare Escentuals makes a product called Shine Control, which comes in a small bottle. You put it on then apply your make up and it prevents you from sweating, which is what causes the shine.

It works pretty well, from what I am told.

http://www.qvc.com

Item Number A99081
Bare Escentuals Shine Control

You can also pick it up at any one of their stores or call them.

hope that helps

kevin Smile

In the spirit of full disclourse, I do work for BE, I however do not gain anything from people buying the product.
Scott Sober
View Profile
New user
Illinois
3 Posts

Profile of Scott Sober
Hi All-

You've probably already read that less sweating comes with time. The more often you perform your show/effect, the more confident and less nervous you will be.

I know that I start all my shows out the same. So having the beginning of the show be on automatic pilot (no worries), I get into the swing of things right away.

If your character allows, you can also do some things with your clothes that you wear. I wear a black short sleeved T-shirt that wicks away sweat. This is an all polyester fabric (really), and I find that it makes me cooler than a cotton shirt. Since I perform several shows outside in the summer, I also wear shorts (only in the summer outside). This fits my character, or maybe my character developed around certain things that I do, like the way I dress.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Hi Scott, as I mentioned before, it has nothing to do with nerves. I've been performing for about 16 years, and I now do about 400 shows a year. I have 38 shows this month alone. So I don't think it has anything to do with nerve, just the heat. All the best, Billy.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Another sweater here. I have quite a light costume and I tend to bounce around a bit during my show.

Good ideas folks, I might try some form of head-band and drinking more.

As far as the nervousness thing goes I think even if you are 100% confident about your show the adrenaline will always be running a little faster when performing. Which is a good thing. I hope that will never change for me even if I get up to 38 shows a month (nice going, Billy).

Oh and my line for when the kids ask me where all the water is coming from is that I ate a cloud for my lunch and my ears started raining.
Scott Sober
View Profile
New user
Illinois
3 Posts

Profile of Scott Sober
Billy -

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were nervous. I was actually addressing the topic in general rather than your specific concern. I'm new at this.

Hopefully the other comments were helpful. Also based on your comments I can add these tips. I wear one wristband that I can reach up and wipe my brow with during the show.

Also, fitting into my character, I wear several different hats during my show. I've learned that putting on a hat can actually also serve as mopping up the sweat on my forehead. I may have to replace hats every so often to allow for the effects on the hats.

Have Fun !
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I'm too high-class to "sweat"— I "perspire" instead!! Seriously though never at birthdays ever now. But years ago used to do very large shows for Holiday Companies working puppets. It used to pour off me— especially my face!! Many, many years ago I went to a concert of the late great Buddy Rich big band. (Buddy was probably the world's finest drummer.) From the very first number he always looked as though he was melting, and had a large towel by the side of his kit. So what was good enough for Buddy was good enough for me!
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2003-05-12 16:50, aceparties wrote:
I'm too high-class to "sweat"— I "perspire" instead!!
Smile
I carry a small towel in my box now as well Ace.

Scott, I used to wear a baseball cap with a different outfit that I wore, and yes, it does work. I wish a hat would suit what I wear now. I don't sweat on my face, just on top of my baldy head. The bandanas work.
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
I would like to say the no sweat product mentioned is a wonderful product, it also comes in a white powder. It's PROFACE By Mehron.

Setting Powder, Perspiration Retardent. This product can be bought at: http://www.tmyers.com/makeup/makeupindex.html
Not just for clowns. Smile
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Thanks for the info Jewels.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I did a show...at a picnic...lots of sweat...90 in the shade. I had a towel. I have heard that some pro actors will dab eyebrows with vaseoline so the sweat runs to side of face (toward ears) and not to eyes.

never tried that but it soundds like it will work.
Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » sweating (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL