The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sleeve pocket by Jay Scott Berry (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt101
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Matt101
Hi guys,

I have heard about sleeve pocket by Jay Scott Berry and have a question. How is it different from typical sleeving - only giving the thing into my sleeve. I know, that you can't reveal here the secret but what I am thinking about is when I drop my hand along my body, will it fall from the sleeve or not?? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mat
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yes.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I use Jay's topit and love it to death. However, I find these sleeve pockets quite counterproductive. You could definitely do without.
Matt101
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Matt101
Thanks a lot for your help
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
If you have Bobo's coin book, look in there. The sleeving chapter.
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
From what I remember from his lecture, the way he uses these if for an initial PRODUCTION, not for sleeving per se. It allows hime to have 1 or 2 loaded coins, work "normally", (without the need for arms to be held at 90 degrees), and then at the appropriate moment he can just lift an arm, drop one of the coins, and then go to a production. For this, they seemed reasonable, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.
Bruce
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
At one time I had the idea of a "foo sleeve pocket"--namely a small pocket sewn into the sleeve so that when the coin was shot up the sleeve _past_ the foo pocket, it would fall into the pocket when the hand was lowered to the side. Sort of the reverse of the Berry idea.

My favorite sleeving effect was to classic palm two dimes and a nickel (nickel being outermost). Then I would use the same hand to spin a quarter on a table. While the coin was spinning, I would appearently snatch it up with the right hand and instantly drop the dimes and nickel back on the table. Actually as the fingers started closing, they would propel the coin into the sleeve. Very visual. Since it was a change rather than a vanish, it took some heat off the method. The hand is a little contorted classic palming such small coins, but since it is holding a quarter, the hand's appearance is not too unusual. The fact that you can spin a quarter while three coins are classic palmed added to the misdeception. (I came across sleeving a spinning coin in Walter Gibson's _Magic Made Simple_ but have never seen it anywhere else.) I sometimes did it for friends when asking if anyone had change for a quarter and then deciding to use magic to get the change.

(Sometimes the propelled coin went so far up the sleeve that it went past the coatsleeve arm hole and fell down the inside of the shirt to the waist.)

On the subject of sleeving, Anverdi had some beautiful routines with color changing balls and sleeving. They were included in his lecture notes.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Yes, these are for initial productions, and if used correctly, work like a dream!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Quote:
On 2008-10-30 12:04, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Yes, these are for initial productions, and if used correctly, work like a dream!

They also need to be fitted correctly. They should be in the body side of the sleeve, not on the rear otherwise they will get in the way when trying to retrieve objects from the s----e. (all positions refer to when arms are at the side)
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Sleeve pocket by Jay Scott Berry (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL