The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Common mistakes beginner's in magic make (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jtb
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of jtb
The mistake that I am making is thinking the trick is over because I finished the major move or sleight.

One example is when I do Jumbo Brainwave. It works great but twice I have flashed the secret when I put the cards back in the deck. I also did that with some disappearing silk moves.

John B.
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
I see the same mistake all over the internet.....NOT PRACTICING BEFORE PERFORMING.
<BR>Mikey M.
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
The biggest problem is guilt. Not "BELIEVING" what you want the audience to believe.

Robert
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
I think the biggest mistake is to not focus on just a few select effects. Most of us have way more books dvds than we need and are constantly going from one trick to the next. Just work on one or two effects and keep plugging away at them until you have made them your own. That means you keep practicing and perfecting them even after you've shown them to everyone you know... When you can't make them any better than you can add another effect or two to your repertoire--but even then you always want to go back to the old ones and keep them fresh.

-Rob
yeats
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of yeats
I completely agree with all of the above posts. From teaching and mentoring younger magicians, I noticed some common technical issues; though these are more subtle, and overshadowed by the important ones already mentioned.

1. Movement in the wrong hand. e.g. In executing beginner moves like the French Drop, beginners always want to move the fingers, to "catch" the drop. Alternatively, they immediately move the hand away.

2. Failure to Ditch. Beginner's tend to think once they've mastered the move perfectly, then that's enough - but even with the most flawless [sticking with previous example] French Drop, the audience is eventually going to ask to see the other hand.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2008-11-12 16:50, Izz wrote:
seems to wrap it up nicely ... Thanks BrianMillerMagic

My pleasure.

Quote:
Jim Mullen wrote:
A big mistake by beginners is not having a crisp, well-rehearsed routine. I consider it essential to write out the patter for a trick and memorize it, just like an actor does with the script of a play. Learning a script word-for-word, you will not fumble over words during the performance.

I think that there is a lot to be said here. While I believe it is a good idea for a beginner to memorize a word for word script for the reasons you've cited, I believe that word for word scripts often come off as stale and unoriginal. I use a technique suggested by Jay Sankey, which is to have a number of key lines memorized and rehearsed that are essential to the routine, but everything else ought to come naturally as a interaction with the audience. Helps keep things fresh.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Not looking natural.

Not covering the angles correctly.

Not palming correctly.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thinking that knowing the mechanics of a magic trick makes one an entertainer.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
phoogestijn
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
26 Posts

Profile of phoogestijn
I'm practicing card magic for about 3 months now and I studied very hard on my first trick. I studied evening after evening, till I finally got all the movements "stored" in my muscles. The next day I went to work with a deck of cards in my pocket, proud to present my first trick. I run up to my first "victim" and performed my trick. After my performance, my colleague said: "Duhh, I saw you gliding that card... !!".

A spectator looks from a different angle. Some things that I can't see, he can !!!. Since then, I perform each trick in front of a mirror and try to catch all different angles, before I go in public.
DCURTHRABE
View Profile
New user
Burbank, IL
78 Posts

Profile of DCURTHRABE
A mistake of sorts that I see all to often is bringing the show to a halt to locate your next prop/effect, a little pre show prep and rehearsal would eliminate extended stage waits.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Common mistakes beginner's in magic make (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL