The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Preventive maintenance of the Flipper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
I am using my gravity flipper more now with material from Petty and Dill;

And my question is... Smile

Do you just wait for the band to break during a performance Smile, or is there a reasonable way to predict its impending demise?

TIA,

-Allen M.
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello Al,
There is no sure-fire way to tell the exact moment the band will fail, however;

When your flipper becomes " too sloppy and floppy", the band is weakening.
And you can bet-because Murphy's Law says so- It will break during a performance.

Best to change it every 3 months or so.
Just my opinion.
Jim
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
When in doubt, change the band. You don't want it to break during a performance.
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I agree with Jimmy. I can feel when the band starts to get sloppy, and it usually breaks soon thereafter.
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
Good advice here. I've always been concerned about my Flipper band as well.

Thanks,

A.J.
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
The gravity flippers should eliminate a lot of worries, as there is basically no tension on the band. As long as there are no sharp edges, the bands should break very seldom, and only at a time when the rubber has become so old it has lost it's elasticity.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
OK,

Last night I changed the band for the 1st time on my gravity flipper. It had weakened to the point that it affected the opening of the flipper- that is the part that flips would rub on it's circumference. Clearly time to change.

-A
MagicBosley
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of MagicBosley
Anyone try the "double band" method on a flipper? I know it works wonders on a deeply-cut folding coin, but it may be too much tension (or there may not be enough room) with a flipper.

Got a story ... please share!
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
The bands last a long time. However, it is always best to change them at regular intervals. Remember that rubber bands do not have a long shelf life.

I have found that if I keep my unused bands in a zip lock bag and store in the refrigerator, the bands last longer than normal.
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
465 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
I use flipper coins every day. I only practice the routine before to make it and if the flipper works well I use it. I think that never a flipper coin broke during a routine.
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
Hey, does anyone know the best adhesive for re-attaching after you replace the band?
<BR>Mikey M.
allen_m
View Profile
Veteran user
Alpine, TX
349 Posts

Profile of allen_m
I use Scotch brand permanent adhesive double sided tape...

-A
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Preventive maintenance of the Flipper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL