The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Fun twist on wild card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
This is a fun twist on wild card some of you might like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efLuEFJSRr8&feature=channel
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10784 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Very nice effect Paul
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
SWEET! I of course got hooked on Wild Card tricks because of my Godfather Vinny so I always love the good ones and am critical of the crappy ones!

This is a goody IMO,

Mick
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
152 Posts

Profile of swamy
Nice one...

View this link.
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=qPRptOclFgs

Swamy
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
That's a cute idea too, but he really needed to move onto something else or say something else rather than leave them out and get that reaction.

For a birthday packet effect I like "The World's Oddest Card Trick" from "Small But Deadly" but end with a birthday card Smile

Another fun wild card variant for kids is one put out by International Magic in England where apples turn rotten and you finally find the worm causing it.

The wine variant of mine I think plays for a wider audience range and could be used more by table hoppers. Has more gag possibilities too. Another good variant for workers that I use on and off is Cameron Francis's "Prediction Gone Wild".

Paul.
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
152 Posts

Profile of swamy
Wild card effect using pictures of the poluplar "Russian nested doll" can also be a good one.

Illustrated card effects with colored pictures and a story are always a fun.

View this site http://www.paulromhany.com/web.htm for the below two illustrated wild effects :
1. BUNNIES GONE WILD
2. Happy Face

Swamy
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yes, those look interesting. He looks to have some nice stuff, and he gave my last book a great review on his blog spot so I figure he knows what is commercial. Smile Smile

Paul.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
This effect is now commercially available, comes together with the "Something From Nothing" effect, the cards and DVD instruction. If interested ask your favorite dealer or pm me.

Paul.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I purchased Gerry Griffin's 'Wild Card', wasn't a bad buy for $20 from his dinner Theater over in Martinez, got the cards, and about 5-7 routines he teaches you on the DVD. Some find him 'boreing' to learn from, but he is thorough and easy to understand. I was gonna buy Tony van Rhee's Gypsy curse, but went with this for $10 less.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
RE: "I was gonna buy Tony van Rhee's Gypsy curse"

Any similarity to Peter Kane's "Gypsy Curse" wild card?

Since this thread has now devolved into a general wild card thread and what we've bought I might as well recommend another excellent variant "Especially Wild" marketed by Meir Yedid.

Paul.
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
Yeah, it's exactly Peter Kane's version (I should have mentioned that), it just comes with heirloom looking cards, a coin, an envolope, case, and dvd. I had bought Hampton Ridges version a few weeks back, needless to say, it was in the garbage a few days later...
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
I recall seeing Peter Kane doing his version of Gypsy Curse years back. His own set was hand made from Tarot cards.

In "Small But Deadly" on p. 46 (U.S. edition) I mention a quick reset for Gypsy Curse suitable for table hoppers.

Paul.
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
152 Posts

Profile of swamy
A review of "Gypsy Curse by Tonny Van Rhee"
http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic23471.php

A review of "In The Hands Wild Card" by Tom Dobrowolski
http://chicagomagicbash.com/
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
I think at one time I used to finish the Peter Kane routine by producing a small crystal ball.

Which reminds me of an old joke. I visited a gypsy fortune teller after looking into her crystal she told me I would never have any children. As she said it, the crystal ball rolled off the table and smashed in my lap...

Paul.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I enjoyed all these ideas of having cards with special drawings
Some of us may remember the Ken Brooke apples with the little worm that ate it. More recently no less than Juan Tamariz used the principle with his rabbits.

Is it for pure marketing reasons that the technique used restricts itself to the glide and a basic two rows lay out?

For example Paul's excellent effect which makes sense being performed tabled (pun intended: sorry I was born French) would gain from more modern card displays that I know that Paul is very familiar with. The lay out and handling as well would gain from rechecking Shigeo Takagi or Meir Yedid Live in London.

Does marketing has to belittle potential customers?

When we have a great idea (and I think that the water to wine is a great idea carrying history and meaning behind) why not serve it (sorry I did it again) with the latest techniques?
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
152 Posts

Profile of swamy
A wild card effect where cards are explictly shown and later changes to a diferent value using a wild card. There is no glide or two row arrangement. I do not know the exact name and the creator of the effect. It is not popular.

Another wild card effect where both sides of the cards are displayed blank avoiding the glide and later the wild card is used for the effect. Again I do not know the name and the creator of the effect.

The effect "Swinging Vampire" marketed by L&L Publcations in the 90's(now out of market) where there is no glide or row arrangement. I this effect both faces and backs changes as per the wild card. Recently this concept was extended further.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
I like the directness and simplicity of your routine Paul, as I do this routine by Diamond Jim Tyler - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qByGU_i9ed4.

The clean-up is also very clever.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
The link didn't go through Mark, when I tried it.

Re: "Some of us may remember the Ken Brooke apples with the little worm that ate it. More recently no less than Juan Tamariz used the principle with his rabbits."

More recently? That's the same trick, Tamariz Rabbits, that Ken used to sell. It's the rabbit that supposedly eats the apple, the fact a worm is seen coming out of the apple is why the rabbit is green? The hats and rabbit are on the backs of the apples. I still use this trick occassionally in my restaurant work. Great for kids.

"Is it for pure marketing reasons that the technique used restricts itself to the glide and a basic two rows lay out?"

It helps to sell items if they are simple to do, that's a fact. I have had people walk away from a simple trick demonstration saying "I like that, but I could never remember the patter". Let's not forget the people that buy most magic are in fact beginners and hobbyists rather than hardcore students of magic.

Yes there are superior methods, and non layout methods and I could having had the idea of the cards sold just the cards saying "These are for wild card, put your own routine together" but a basic routine adds completeness.

The layout makes it a good display trick if a surface is available, I cut the cards down to seven though so it would take up less room should table hoppers want to use it. Personally I prefer a tabled presentation to "in the hands". In the hands is great for strolling performers but does not mean it is an improvement, just better for certain conditions.

Just because the handling may be old to knowledgable magicians does not make it any less effective to lay audiences. The routine plays very well as it is. In fact, when you get the cards Lawrence, try the simple routine as taught for lay people and see their reaction before adapting to other techniques Smile

I think the glide has a bit of a reputation as a 'slum' move because it has been described in many beginners books and been a much abused move. As Andrew Galloway says in "Diverting Card Magic" one can get the impression it is child's play but that nothing could be further from the truth. To perform the move cleanly requires considerable practice and cards in good condition.

Beginners and hobbyists have a good, solid fun routine to work with, others can use the cards as they wish. But at least the cards are out there now giving people the opportunity to turn water into wine Smile

Paul.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Apologies, my mistake - try this one instead...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qByGU_i9ed4
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Got it!. Yes I was aware of this routine, I bought the Mirrors DVD a few years back. It's a wonderfully scripted presentation by Jim, though not one I've gone out and used anywhere. One for the right time and place, or to fit one's character.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Fun twist on wild card (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.56 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL