The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The soul of the cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I got a light from Kent Smile
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
One question: when using bright colour balls, I sometimes have a reflection which could betray the concealed presence of a ball in a cup or under it.
How do you guys avoid this (I found a solution that I'm using but I'd like to know if someone has a smarter one)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I use a flat black interior to my cups used in performance.
I really never had that problem in the past because of the cups I used.
My Brass/Church Bronze R-n-T cups are unfinished inside so they do not reflect light much, same with my original R-n-T chrome cups.
My johnson Cups have a satin interior as do my Silver anniversary cups.
My Riser cups do not have a very reflective surface inside either ...satin is the best way to describe it and of course the CNC Steel Cups Sisti made had a satin finish all around inside and out.
My copper Sherwoods are designed so that when the ball is inside they do not reflect all the way to the top, the light seems to catch inside and you cannot tell the color of the ball inside.

I guess I chose the right cups to keep eh?
Mobius
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
You sure did choose your cups wisely.
My solution sofar is to paint the inside with metallic painf for figurines. It doesn't reflect light but if makes more sense to me than dull black in a cup,
Actually painting corkwood balls that way opens nice ways to Conus, Paul Gertner Stephen Tucker types of routines with metallic balls. It is possible to mix one metallic ball (for the sound but painted the same way) with the three corkwood ones
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 16:53, Lawrence O wrote:
One question: when using bright colour balls, I sometimes have a reflection which could betray the concealed presence of a ball in a cup or under it.
How do you guys avoid this (I found a solution that I'm using but I'd like to know if someone has a smarter one)

It could be that if they're scrutinizing the dirty cup during the load or after, there's something else wrong besides the cup itself.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My favorite cups have finishes that do not reflect what I might be holding in my hand. It's the simplest solution. The one with the metallic but not too reflective paint is a good idea. P&L used to paint many of their cups with a metallic grey paint on the inside.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
While we're on the subject of reflection:

Al Schneider wrote about having been busted by a spectator because they saw a reflection of the ball, in his hand, off the shiny exterior surface of the cup.

Al's solution was to not use reflective cups. He let them patinate and never looked back.

I use really shiny cups on the interior. I think the construction of my routine precludes internal reflection problems. I will keep an eye out for it in reviewing video though!

KG
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Kent you use Sherwoods then the design helps quite a bit as does the work on the outside as far as refelctions.
Check out the Mendoza Routine on youtube.
I had a friend that spray painted his interior of his cups and yes anything like that will help. I like the look of a nicely done Satin inerior to my cups. I will try to put up a few new pics to show this.

I fully understand the problem and it is probably not Etienne's problem but one of the design of the cups and the reflective surface inside. Not so many makers think of the design besides loads and exterior funtion....Brett thought about both when he made his design.

The P&L cups are great and I wonder if you could find a Powder coating that may match it and be quite durable as most powder coats now are even scratch resistant.
Mobius
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Mike,

I actually like the shiny interior of the Sherwoods. I like to stress that the cups are empty, when I start out. I intentionally cover the entire mouth with my hand as I put the balls in the cups. I don't think my routine has any points where the shiny nature of the interiors would belie any of the machinations going on.

The engraving definitely kills any reflections coming off the exteriors. I love those darned cups!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I agree with Kent. I think that the Sherwood cups are the nicest cups on the market (for magic) and they do kill the outer reflection.

Everything is a trade off: Kent keeps his hand flat over the mouth of the cup as he fairly reports. This gesture is eye catching (it's the trade off for the shiny part of the inside of the cups). Having something eye catching can be used by the performer for misdirection purposes. He must however be conscious that he needs to be doing something about his trade off: IMHO it has to be managed.

I chose a different trade off from Kent: I accepted a less esthetical inside to avoid a less eye catching gesture which, IN MY ROUTINE, would put spectators off track. I think that Kent should find some form of justification for such an eye catching move (maybe just in his patter).

We can reduce the "cost" of the trade off but there is no way to avoid the trade offs, and this cost is in different "currency" because each routine has its own "currency" and its own finance minister: thus no solution is universal. However our task as magician is to manage the trade off we choose, not in a narssistic way but with the audience in mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The soul of the cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL